My PAE Experience Today

Posted , 23 users are following.

The first time I posted this it disappeared.  I can't find out how to contact the moderator so I cant ask what happened.

I think the forum members will be interested in what happened to me.

Anyway...... Today I arrived at Dr. Baglas office at 7:30 and did the little remaining paperwork.  

Dr. Bagla has been excellent in promptly and thoroughly communicating with me so he already had my cystoscopies, health records, concerns, etc.  So we were already agreed as to handle a couple of minor problems that I have such as not tolerating ibuprofen.

At 8am they took me into the prep room and started an IV, filled out some more consent forms and chatted and swapped jokes with me and my wife.

About 8:15 I went into the operating room where, what seemed like a small army of nurses did various things to further prep me.  They put covers on me, looked for the best incision point, put more meds into my IV, asked me questions, etc.

Members of this forum have often discussed the benefit of using a dr that has lots of PAE experience.  But lying on the table I realized that there was also a great benefit in having a staff that knew exactly what to do.  I could feel by the way they placed things, connected things, checked my body, the questions they asked and the instructions they gave me, that they were totally experienced in PAE.

This took about 20 minutes or more.  Dr. Bagla came in as soon as they finished and told me a few things about the procedure.  I had spoken with him in the prep room but now he gave me specific information about what to expect and do.  

They must have pumped some tranquilizer in to me because I immediately drifted off into this amazingly happy place.  The room drifted into the background and I spent the next 90 minutes in the happiest vacation dream. The only interruption was when Dr. Bagla, as he had warned me, asked me to hold my breath.  Then it was back t the beach with my wife.

Somewhere around 10:30 I was taken to recovery room and asked to lay still for 2 hours while they gave me fluids.  

During the whole time I felt no pain, no discomfort, nothing.  I expected something because I don't tolerate anesthetics well and I have a low threshold of pain.  But I had no dizzyness, no headache, nothing.

With my cystoscopy I was groggy and disoriented from the meds.  The fluids gave me a headache for 2 days.

Today I felt almost nothing.  I could feel something going on with my prostate, similar to when I tried finistre.  But it was very mild.  And maybe I was just a tiny bit light-headed during the early afternoon. 

I had urges to urinate but usually only passed a few drops with no pain or burning or interruption.  Towards the later part of the day I had some mild buring.

My wife is an M.D. she said I looked very well, good cheek color, focused and alert.  Just the way I said I felt.

After 2 hours they gave me a drink and sandwich, I got up and left.  

I had flown overnight from Buenos Aires on Sunday, then from Miami to D.C. and driven to Woodbridge on Monday.  I cant explain it but I didn't even have the usual jetlag today (tuesday).

I know this sounds like I exagerating so I'm going to have my wife read it before I post it.

We left I felt well enought to be active.  We to the Pharmacy to get the meds that Dr. Bagla prescribed. Then we stopped for a great Tex Mex lunch (the dont have real mexican food in Argentina ie: they use ketchup and call it salsa). 

Then we spent an hour at Best Buy.

Finally I felt like I should rest so we returned to our hotel and hung out until we went out for dinner.

Still no pain, discomfort, etc.

Its 10pm, I haven't napped or had any form of pain or discomfort.  Actually I just did something really stupid, I left my computer next to the printer in the hotel lobby.  I know I shouldn't have but when i realized I had left it,  I sprinted about 100 feet to get it.  

So far so good.

I wont be surprised if tomorrow or the day after I have pain or discomfort.  Dr. Bagla said the first week I'll probably feel the inflamation.  The second week it starts to heal.  The third week should be yield reduced BPH symptoms.

I want to thank the members this forum.  Before I joined, the only advice I had was from my urologist who wanted to do a turp.  Whatever the outcome of my PAE I am blessed that you guys showed me an low risk treatment, low pain, hopefully quick recovery alternative.

3 likes, 206 replies

206 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Day 3 PM

I was very active today.  Felt fine.  

From about 12pm to 4 pm I had a few instances of sudden urgent need to pee.  When I finished I felt like there was more to come.  I waited a minute and passed about maybe 4 tablespoons of urine.  This burned.

A couple of times I was not near a mens room and pushed back against the need to urinate.  The need seemed to go away.

I'm going to work on this.

Tomorrow morning I start my long long trip back to Buenos Aires.  I have an aisle seat near a restroom, I'm wearing absorbable underwear and carrying a pee bottle in my knapsack.  Hope I make the trip without a great embarrassment.

• Posted

Hi, Great news,good for you,i'm glad you feel better. I wonder if at almost 87 years old this procedure would be good for me? I would like to know?

Thanks  very much

• Posted

Thanks frank.

I cannot answer your question.  There are probably many factors involved.

You should email dr. Bagla.

Goood luck

• Posted

Day 6.  I'm back home in Argentina.   Spent 24 hours travelling, fortunately without incident.  

On the first flight to Miami I made it almost all the way with urinating.

On eh 9 hour flight to Argentina I worried about not making it to the bathroom and so I made frequent trips.

The burning is definitely subsiding.  

I think the frequency is too.

I am taking the last of my prescribed med today.

Never needed anything for the pain.

I'm looking forward to seeing relief from all my symptoms in the next couple of weeks.

Thanks for all your good wishes.

Jeff

• Posted

Now relax at home and recover Jeff. Keep us informed how it's going.

• Posted

Gad to hear things went so well for you, jjjj57989.  Some of us depend on posts like yours for their honesty.  If you would, please.  A follow up post, say, in six months would be of even more benefit for us.  Thank you so much.
    • Posted

Alan, this forum has helped me alot.   I'll make a note to do a followup posting in 6 months.

My really big milestone will be in about 15 days.

According to Dr. Bagla, the first week is recovery from the procedure.

The second week, the swelling goes away (note: I have no discomfort).

The third week: if I'm one of the lucky 70% I'll be my frequency and nocturia subside.

• Posted

Statistically the PAE shrinks the prostate  enough to relieve BPH symptoms about 70% of the time.

Redoing it will bring your odds of success up to about 87%.

You can find sources for those numbers on this forum.

• Posted

I spoke with Dr Bagla several weeks ago, and he said that he has a 90 to 94 percent success rate. Higher than what's usually cited. He said that he is selective in who he considers suitable for treatment, and that is the reason for the higher success rate.

• Posted

Statistics are workable.  

Awhile ago I reviewed all the PAE postings on this forum and tabulated those with good results vs not so good.  I posted my results, which I think were about 70% sucessful.  But there may be more to it, I dont know.   Maybe mostly men happy with their results post on this site, those who are unhappy dont for some reason.  Maybe there are some impostors.  Its possible.  All I can say it I remember counting about 70% positive results.  

I dont remember any of Dr. Baglas patients saying that they did not improve. 

And probably 100% were, like me, very pleased with Dr. Bagla and his operation.

There was also discussion of a study of about 630 patients of Dr. Pisco.  He developed PAE in Portugal.  If I recall correctly thats where the 70% and 87% sucess rates came from.

I have 2 members of my family that are medical researchers.  They read his study and said it was technically excellent.  However, skeptic that I am, I must point out that he's a doctor and he and his his colleagues reviewed his own performance.  

Many researchers today do peer reviews of each others work.  Famously outsiders are unable to reproduce the results.

I made my decision to have PAE because it was the least painful, least invasive, quickest recovery option available.  And the only sources of statistics on the results achieved show 70-87%, 70% and 100%.

In a few weeks I'll post my results and we'll see how it compares.

• Posted

Yes, to quote Mark Twain: "Lies, damn lies, and statistics". 

Hope you are on the postive results sides, whatever the group percentages might be.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.