My PAE Experience Today

Posted , 23 users are following.

The first time I posted this it disappeared.  I can't find out how to contact the moderator so I cant ask what happened.

I think the forum members will be interested in what happened to me.

Anyway...... Today I arrived at Dr. Baglas office at 7:30 and did the little remaining paperwork.  

Dr. Bagla has been excellent in promptly and thoroughly communicating with me so he already had my cystoscopies, health records, concerns, etc.  So we were already agreed as to handle a couple of minor problems that I have such as not tolerating ibuprofen.

At 8am they took me into the prep room and started an IV, filled out some more consent forms and chatted and swapped jokes with me and my wife.

About 8:15 I went into the operating room where, what seemed like a small army of nurses did various things to further prep me.  They put covers on me, looked for the best incision point, put more meds into my IV, asked me questions, etc.

Members of this forum have often discussed the benefit of using a dr that has lots of PAE experience.  But lying on the table I realized that there was also a great benefit in having a staff that knew exactly what to do.  I could feel by the way they placed things, connected things, checked my body, the questions they asked and the instructions they gave me, that they were totally experienced in PAE.

This took about 20 minutes or more.  Dr. Bagla came in as soon as they finished and told me a few things about the procedure.  I had spoken with him in the prep room but now he gave me specific information about what to expect and do.  

They must have pumped some tranquilizer in to me because I immediately drifted off into this amazingly happy place.  The room drifted into the background and I spent the next 90 minutes in the happiest vacation dream. The only interruption was when Dr. Bagla, as he had warned me, asked me to hold my breath.  Then it was back t the beach with my wife.

Somewhere around 10:30 I was taken to recovery room and asked to lay still for 2 hours while they gave me fluids.  

During the whole time I felt no pain, no discomfort, nothing.  I expected something because I don't tolerate anesthetics well and I have a low threshold of pain.  But I had no dizzyness, no headache, nothing.

With my cystoscopy I was groggy and disoriented from the meds.  The fluids gave me a headache for 2 days.

Today I felt almost nothing.  I could feel something going on with my prostate, similar to when I tried finistre.  But it was very mild.  And maybe I was just a tiny bit light-headed during the early afternoon. 

I had urges to urinate but usually only passed a few drops with no pain or burning or interruption.  Towards the later part of the day I had some mild buring.

My wife is an M.D. she said I looked very well, good cheek color, focused and alert.  Just the way I said I felt.

After 2 hours they gave me a drink and sandwich, I got up and left.  

I had flown overnight from Buenos Aires on Sunday, then from Miami to D.C. and driven to Woodbridge on Monday.  I cant explain it but I didn't even have the usual jetlag today (tuesday).

I know this sounds like I exagerating so I'm going to have my wife read it before I post it.

We left I felt well enought to be active.  We to the Pharmacy to get the meds that Dr. Bagla prescribed. Then we stopped for a great Tex Mex lunch (the dont have real mexican food in Argentina ie: they use ketchup and call it salsa). 

Then we spent an hour at Best Buy.

Finally I felt like I should rest so we returned to our hotel and hung out until we went out for dinner.

Still no pain, discomfort, etc.

Its 10pm, I haven't napped or had any form of pain or discomfort.  Actually I just did something really stupid, I left my computer next to the printer in the hotel lobby.  I know I shouldn't have but when i realized I had left it,  I sprinted about 100 feet to get it.  

So far so good.

I wont be surprised if tomorrow or the day after I have pain or discomfort.  Dr. Bagla said the first week I'll probably feel the inflamation.  The second week it starts to heal.  The third week should be yield reduced BPH symptoms.

I want to thank the members this forum.  Before I joined, the only advice I had was from my urologist who wanted to do a turp.  Whatever the outcome of my PAE I am blessed that you guys showed me an low risk treatment, low pain, hopefully quick recovery alternative.

3 likes, 206 replies

206 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Day 9.

I did a light workout at the gym yesterday.  Very light.  Afterward I felt some discomfort in my groin.  Today its gone and I'm fine.

I can't yet tell if my nocturia is getting better.  Possibly.  Last night I was tired and went to bed early.   After an hour I was up and for the next hour I made repeated trips to empty my bladder.  During the rest of the night I got up only twice in 6 hours.  I have no idea what this means except that I do have a strong stream and it feels like I'm emptying my bladder.

A warning here:   I had a bad reaction to the prednisone Dr. Bagla prescibed.  It worked great to mimimize my swelling and inflamation but with all that was going on, I didn't realize that I was actually taking a large dose of steroids, which I am very sensitive to.  

Upon my return home to Argentina on day 6, I started to find many things that made me angry. I was yelling at my wife and felt like I was about to start smashing things ie: a radio that I thought was too loud.  Yesterday, as I took my last pill, we realized what happened and I very quickly returned to my normal, mellow self. 

I'm sure that there was a warning somewhere in the instructions. But for those of you planning to have PAE, just be aware of this potential problem.  A couple of more doses of prednisone, without understanding what was happening, and I might have lost control of my anger.  

I emailed Dr. Bagla an update and, as usualy, I received a prompt and nice reply.

I told him that my main memory of the PAE is having all his lovely young assistants fussing over me.

• Posted

Jeff I asked for something like Prednisone because I suffered so much after the first PAE without it - I was told to take it for only 3 days, which is what I did and experienced no side effects. I noticed after  stopped the Prednisone two days later I was in more pain from the internal swelling.

I am having similar experience to yourself as far as nocturnia etc. Also I travelled from Australia to USA on day 8 or 9 so that messes up the body at the best of times.

Like you I feel at times like I am emptying bladder, stream not that strong but goes on for longer which is encouraging. Then an hour later or even less I feel like I need to pee again, I think that is because my bladder "trained" to go often. It's also possible bladder has been damaged from years of this horrible condition. I just hope and pray it can recover.

• Posted

I'm not religious or else I'd pray for you (and me).

Perhaps I could do some kind of sacrifice like throw a virgin into a volcano?

• Posted

Day 10.  I'm not doing well.

I feel pretty good.  My flow has clearly, immediately improved.  I have no urgency and less frequency.   Except when I recline.  

The last couple of days I've been sick from lack of sleep.

Last night before bed, I emptied my bladder and went to bed.  Within 5 minutes I had to get up an pee again. And again, every 5 minutes for 3 thours!! honestly 3 hours!! Then the rest of the night I had a lot of interruptions but not nearly so often.

When I tried to nap today the same thing happened.

I've heard that when you recline the kidneys pass more urine to the bladder, don't know if thats whats happening. But its torture.

Dr. Bagla said everything went perfectly.  He did both sides.

My wife wants me to try rivotril tonight as a sleep aid.

• Posted

Have you talked yet with Dr Bagla about this? Sounds awful.
    • Posted

Jeff I had one or two nights like that say 5th and 6th nights - not every 5 minutes but it was so many times I lost count.

Did you take antibiotics immediately after PAE ? Could be an infection? Or, more likely as I said before, your bladder might be the cause - think about it, you were so blocked up and it had to push hard - now you say stream is good, so it doesn't need to push hard, you voided, but now bladder is "confused" and wants to push more so as soon as there is some more urine it signals to void again. My Urologist warned me after regular surgery it can take the bladder months to relearn the new reality. It all depends how long you had BPH and everyone is different as we all know.

I wouldn't take sleep aids and try to not get so stressed since you have some very positive results as well.

• Posted

On nites 12, 13, 14 I got up only twice and peed quickly enabling me to go right back to sleep.

I was able to get 3 hour blocks of uninterrupted sleep.

Prior to PAE I would get up 4-6 times during an average night.  Each time urinating would involve 10 minutes or more of delayed starting, stopping and trickles.  Often I'd return to bed and within a few minutes I'd have to go again, and again.  

It remains to be seen whethter this will be a lasting improvement.  I remain hopeful.

• Posted

It sounds like you are improving now Jeff. I had bad nights for the first week, then it settled, but it seems to vary for everyone. You had a long trip home as well.  I am about week 7 now, and whilst I don't feel like I am 16 again I am so much better than I was prior to the PAE. I still get up once/twice a night (down from 5/6) and it is tolerable. I am a bit disappointed that my flow is pretty slow at night but I do feel empty unlike before. Probably something to do with lying down (as opposed to standing during the day).  I have also stopped taking flomaxtra which might take a bit of adjusting, but I am drug free which is great, and can even have an evening beer without being up all night.

The real change though is during the day. I took a 5 hour drive a few days ago, to the city and back, without a toilet break at all which was amazing. Others have said there may be some psychological aspects as well, and I tend to think there might be, particularly at night. I think I wake up as much out of habit as need. I also have a mild niggling fear that this major improvement might not last, but in reality I think I am improving every week.

Anyway it has been great reading your progress, and I wish you well. 

?Ian

• Posted

I share your feelings Oz.  I went  on a long drive to the airport yesterday without needing to stop.  

Over the years I've developed habits to cope with the problems plus my body parts ie bladder have also adapted somehow.  My wife (an M.D.) is recommending that I delay urinating for a few minutes after the urge strikes, in order to retrain my bladder and muscles.

You're fortunate to enjoy an evening beer.  I've found that minimizing my liquid intake after 3pm has been very helpful.

I also remember that, lifelong, I've never slept completely throughout the night.  I always woke up at 2 or 4 for awhile.  Thats been my natural pattern.  

• Posted

Oh, thanks for the good wishes and of course I wish you well too.
    • Posted

Jeff and Oz,

Good to hear some progress and best wishes of course  - I am somewhere around Jeff's status, now about 15 days after (second PAE) and still have jet lag - I don't think I am doing as well as both of you but there are some good signs as I didn't get up many times last night and I seem to urinate a bit longer, so I'm hopeful but not sure it's worked - any tips on how to retrain bladder are welcome. I didn't take my dose of Flomax last night but decided I will take tonight and wean off rather than stop at once. My doc said to take it for a whole month before I stop - assuming this is going to work.

regards,

Michael

• Posted

Mike, do you feel like you're emptying your bladder? best of luck.  

• Posted

Jet lag is a bitch.  I have found that being at elevation in either airplanes or on mountains always made my problem worse.  I would suggest taking a very small partial pain pill before bed time.  I'm not talking about 5 mg but cut the pill in fourths and take 1.25.  It takes the edge off and relaxes the muscles in the area.  Don't drink water more than a sip after 6 pm.  Urinate two or three times right before bedtime including pressing the abdominal area with your hands to force fluid out of the bladder.  Prior to my PAE this all helped get me some sleep.  If I awoke during night I sipped more water.  I know you will get better.  As more PAE's are done IR's will figure out the differences in anatomy and be able to tinker to improve results IMO.  That's why it is important to use an IR who has done many of these.

• Posted

David,

Thanks for the tips and encouragement - what pain pill are you talking about? Asprin? Ibuprofin?

I live in Colorado so i am at elevation - mile high city, also very dry so I don't like the idea of stopping drinking after 6pm.

Hopefully my surgeon knew enough - I guess he's done over 50 or close to that - maybe after he's done over 500 it would have gone better but I wasn't in a position to wait, I've had BPH for many years.

Yes and my jet lag is returning from Australia which always is worse - I think because it's a day flight leaving Australia then you get back to USA just as the day is starting again.

• Posted

Jeff,

At times I feel that, but even if I do a few minutes later I might feel like I need to go and if I hold it the feeling might go away for a while. I think it's my bladder has been trained by now.

First thing this morning I went, and half an hour later went again so whatever I "feel" I couldn't have emptied the bladder the first time.

Thanks

Michael

• Posted

Advil worked ok but not great.   Just a hydrocordone pain pill divided or even a half a tramadol.  HY takes about 30 minutes to kick in where Tram takes about 90 min.  These are not long term solutions, but should get you through this stage.  If you do another PAE which you may need go to Dr. Isaacson at UNC.  He has the most experience.
    • Posted

I stopped taking flomaxtra after about 5 weeks. I was told a month, but was a bit paranoid about stopping as I  have been on it for so long. I think I might have gone backwards a little for a few days but it might have been psychological and now I am weaned and don't even think about taking one. To be honest I don't think they have done anything for a year or more anyway.  It was like stopping smoking 35 years ago but much easier! Good luck with it.

Cheers, Ian

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.