My pain in the neck

Posted , 4 users are following.

Ive been diagnosed with Cervical spondylosis. Im glad theres a name for it and its not just another un-named pain that my doctor cant diagnose!

Im in constant pain and with a 15month year old to look after I cant think of anything worse. I have been prescribed co_codamol, and i'm waiting for a physio appointment.(God only knows when that will be!javascript:emoticon(':roll:')) The drugs are way too strong for me and leave me feeling groggy and tired for the day. Plus they don't always work and i'm left feeling like I could kill someone. I just came back from the walk in NHS surgery as I needed some advice on what I should do about the pills. The doc told me to take ibuprofen and alternate between them, i'm going to try and see what difference it makes. And iv'e been given some exercises to do until the physio appt.

Ive also done some research on the subject and I keep reading that it is a middle age thing. I'm 25 so that is wrong!!

My shoulder is starting to tingle so i better go take it easy and have my fix!!

i feel like a real junky with my new dependence on painkillers!!!

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi. and welcome to the site. I think you're wise to assess the meds they recommend to see what suits you best. I prefer the ibuprofen because they don't seem to affect much besides the pain, and of course the stomach. I always eat a snack half an hour after taking nurofen, it seems to stop any possible upsets. With c/s over many years I 've found it best to take painkillers about one hour after I've risen, in the morning, and only if I think they're really necessary. Seems to calm things down for the day, whereas if I don't take anything, it can get gradually worse and difficult to shift. Something you might want to consider is getting a proper cervical pillow, as well....can make a difference. I was diagnosed at 30, so you're right...it's not just a middle aged thing....but for most, it probably is.

Good luck with meds

Gerry

• Posted

what seems to be evident is that it certainly isnt a middle age thing, for the people on here and we know that its a pain the gp's dont. i am on a LOT of pain meds which a lot of members know from off here, it isnt all cut and dried like gerry says. obviously my tolerance level is very low and i need stronger meds than him. so beware it affects us all in different ways.,,,, chris xx
  • Posted

I've tried the usual pain killer which may help a little but have long periods of dull discomfort and unable to get into a comfortable position.

You could ask your dr about being refereed to a pain clinic also, you may not like the idea of this at first, but valium has helped me. Only use it occasional but not only does it reduce anxiety but reduces muscle spasm/ tension

• Posted

hi gary i dont know if you have ready any of the past posts, but i am a very long term sufferer almost 19yrs to be exact. so i have been througth physio, pain clinics, neurologists, mri's, and i am still in so much pain, and stiffness and dizziness. so i have tried allsorts not to mention injections, so please read previous postings before speculating.
  • Posted

Hi Chris

You should not assume that Gary is new to this just because he has just joined. We all are affected by CS in different ways as you would see from gerry's post's and others. This site is very good for information and help on dealing with CS, please make sure we do not turn it into a personnel thing like other sites.

Regards Tony

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.