my parents do not understand me

Posted , 4 users are following.

I was diagnosed with CM and syringomelia some months ago. Sometimes when the headache and neck pain are unbearable, I feel extremely tired and need some rest. I am 35 old female. I am extremely frustrated at my parents. They leave abroad and everytime they visit if I merely tell them in the evening that 'I am tired and need some rest', they start attacking me with their advices: that I do not eat well, that I am a weak person, that in my age they did millions of things, or that I need to take vitamins. I have explained them many times that it is actually CM which causes it, but they refuse to understand it. I find myself justifying my condition to them hubdred times a day. I do not understand how ignorant they can be. I have asked my mom to spare 5 mins of her life and read about CM. I am so frustrated......

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I have a family and kids. I also work full-time. I am far from being lazy. I basically do not stop whole day. But sometimes in the evening I would rather lay in the bed, close my eyes and try to think about something else than about my head on the brink of exploding....
  • Posted

Not everyone understands the pain of CM.  Really, it is a process.  I developed depression over a period of time because I couldn't even laugh hard without developing a nauseating headache or turn my head.  I would be afraid to go to fairs and stuff because exertion was painful.  Don't let people get you down; you have an invisible illness.  You can handle this.  Educate your parents! 

• Posted

Hi Marie,

I fully understand how frustrated you and your parents are, however you must understand from their point of you, they are dying spending time with you even doctors do not understand about CM let a lone normal , rather then asking them have a look perhaps you need to print it out and show it to them..and they also wright..taking multi vitamins its very good help people with chiari patients to help boosting their energy mostly anything vitamins from colloidal (plants derived) -but people really dont understand chiari is not disease its a defect that need operation..medication would do no good..the only advice I can give you is ..maybe ask your parent to come with you to see your doctor and you express it to to your doctor how do you feel (JUST BE ADVICE SOME HEALTH CARE PROFESSIONALS ALSO HAVE LACK OF KNOWLEDGE ON THAT...!!!!)

• Posted

Sorry they don't understand I started noticing my syptoms 3 years ago I thought it maybe age 53 but I was unable to do 75 percent of what I could 3 years prior I had my surgery July 10 and I can say it took 6 weeks but I can tell a difference already  my husband could tell your parents may not be around enough to notice it be strong educate them and I agree about the vitamins they cannot hurt

Good luck 

Diana 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.