My partner been prescribed diazepam as he's having panic attacks alot and not sleeping

Posted , 3 users are following.

My partner started taking diazepam 2 days ago as he was on codiene for pain relief but it made him feel like he was out of his mind and had worse panic attacks. The first night it made him sleep but then he took it last night and still wide awake at 4.30 ! He's so stressed and needs sleep ...I thought this was the miracle answer ...does anyone else have sleep issues on it ? Tia

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Oh, yes!! Loads of people have sleep issues.

I think it would be wise to tell your doctor that 2mg diazepam only worked for one night, and see if she/he will adjust the dose.

• Posted

Hi tess thanks for that ...he's actually on 5mg but docs said he could have up to 3 so ill c if he will try 10mg tonight.
    • Posted

Yes, give that a go as the doctor has okayed it. I would imagine that 10mg will geet him to sleep. |you'll have to wait and see. Good luck.
    • Posted

Thank u ..I'm just not familiar with this drug ...I was on mirtazapine for my anxiety and sleep problems and that worked for me apart from me being very spaced out in the day . I'll let you know how it goes.
    • Posted

Tess what is it with you as i see it encouraging people to take

diazepam.

Surely you know what harm these drugs are doing to people.

You might be okay on them but there are lots of people that

are not. Do you realise that DRs are actually tapering people

off benzos and if they are prescribing they are for 2 to 4 weeks as

stated on the leaflet.

I am at a loss at how you seem to think that this drug is a wonder drug.

It certainly is not .

• Posted

I don't think diazepam is a wonder-drug, Tootsie. Far from it. I myself am tapering down, as you know. But Kia's husband's doctor has prescribed a short course for him and obviously 2mg isn't going to work.

Of course I realise that doctors are tapering people down from high doses of diazepam.

I'm NOT okay on them at all! I got very addicted, as I think you know.

But Tia's husband needs some help on a short-term basis. I'd be surprised if the doctor had prescribed more than two weeks' worth.

• Posted

Yes that's right the doc gave him a 2 week course as she said they are very addictive and didn't want him suffering more long term. This doctor was more about the holistic approach and wanting him to try meditation and mindfulness but he's not on that wave length ...I am so am trying to convince him of that way xx

• Posted

It is not advisable to go up and down on doses of Diazepam.

Ones body and brain certainly can not deal with this happening.

I know of people that became addicted after taking a few tablets,

And had a terrible time coming off them.

My advice is stay clear of any benzo and i mean any.

If 2 mg didnt work and they should of done. Up dosing may work

and if it doesnt. Does one keep taking more and more.

The holistic approach is the best way and this takes time to work.

• Posted

That's good, Tia. Your doctor is on the ball, then. I hope your husband sleeps well tonight.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.