My partner has come of her antidepressants. Need advice!

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hello. My partner has been on Zoloft (sertraline) for over 6 years for clinical depression. For the last 2 years she has felt much better and decided it was time to come off the tablets (she also hates the side effects Zoloft gives her such as having no energy and needing to sleep all the time).

She slowly tapered off the tablets over a course of 4 months and took her last one 5 weeks ago. About a week after her last one she started to get withdrawal symptoms: increased anxiety, depersonalistion, flu like symptoms, confusion and feelings of depression being the most common.

Now on week 5 all symptoms seem to be fading except the occassional bout of depersonalisation and anxiety in parts of most days. She still have feelings of depression though, which can get pretty bad with crying fits and feelings of hopelessness and undeserved guilt.

When I have scoured the internet for information, people generally talk about the physical withdrawal symptoms such as brain zaps (she didn't get these). Is feeling depressed a normal part of withdrawal and how long will it typically last in your experiences? She has bad days and not so bad days. The worst part of her feelings of depression have lasted about 3 weeks now.

It may help to know that this depression is different than the one that got her on the tablets originally. She is motivated to do what she can to manage it, such as exercise and distractions (she couldn't get out of bed originally). Also, she tried to discuss this with her GP, but the GP was useless and denied that SSRI withdrawl/discontinuation syndrome even exists!

Any advice you can offer will be most appreciated. She's not sure if she should stick at it or go back on the tablets. She really wants off them, but I just want what's best for her.

Thanks.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Oh, and she has tried taking 5HTP which seems to have had no effect sadly.
  • Posted

Hi there, my initial thought was that she should go back on the tablets and see if things improve, however if she is coping with the symptoms and as you say they are fading then might be worth waiting to see how things go, if there are signs that the deoression and anxiety is returning then jump back on them.

I personally don't mind being on medication usually a maintenance dose after I've been in remission for 6 months and it may be that your wife will need to be in them for a long time at a low dose.

Neil 

• Posted

Thanks for your advice Neil.

Most of her physical symptoms have faded, her anxiety comes and goes really. But her feelings of depression have held steady for the last 3 weeks, with some days more managable than others. I read that feelings of depression can be a symptom of withdrawal, so it's been very hard to tell what to do next.

• Posted

Hi there, my initial thought was that dye should go back on the tablets and see if things improve, however if she is coping with the symptoms and as you say they are fading then might be worth waiting to see how things go, if there are signs that the deoression and anxiety is returning then jump back on them.

?I personally don't mind being on medication usually a maintenance dose after I've been well for 6 years.

Neil 

• Posted

Sorry meant 6 months. N

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.