My partner is so ill since taking propranolol???!!!

Posted , 5 users are following.

My partner has suffered from sleeping problems for years and is on all sorts of meds (dr constantly changing them to try n find something that will work) anyway last week the dr told him he has a very fast heart rate and prescribed him 40mg of propranolol 3x daily. Since taking these (5days) he has been too ill to even leave the house...nausea, extreme tiredness, no energy, headaches, shaking. Is this normal side effects??? He spoke to a dr today who said to keep taking them n "try to ignore" these effects but I am so worried. My partner has always been so energetic but now he can't even get off the sofa to walk the dog, if he tries he is either sick or nearly faints with dizziness.

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Propranolol is a wicked drug. If you go to drugs.com, you can get a full non biased idea of what it can do, as well as check any interactions.

I take 10mg three times a day and that wipes me out. I am trying to get it off it and go with motherwort instead.

I know exactly how your partner feels and hope things get better soon, just be careful and do your own research. Doctors are not as informed as they think.

Take care

• Posted

These could be considered as expected side effects. They'll probably subside over time...it's a matter of becoming accustomed to the drug. Ask the doc about a slower titration to help build up tolerance.

• Posted

Thank you. Doctor said he only wants my partner to take them for one month. Guess that's y he chucked him straight in, or by time he builds up a tolerance he will be off them lol hopefully he will pick up soon, he just looks so weak and ill sad x

• Posted

Hi

I was on 10mg 3 X daily. And I suffered severe side effects so I cut my dosage down and built up over a short period of time. Some side effects did calm down once my body adjusted. 40mg 3 X daily is quite a high dosage to start but I'm not a doctor . Maybe ask the doc if your partner can start with a lower dose and build up if needed

• Posted

Thank you. The doctor said yesterday that he only wants my partner to take it for one month to see if his racing heart is the reason for his sleep problems then he will be taking him off them. Doesn't seem worth all the pain tbh. Hopefully my partners body adjusts to them soon, I just done see him poorly at all so this week has been awful!! X

• Posted

In my experience, the side effects of drugs often occur before the benefits start. I take 80mg/day of half beta prograne and the side effects subsided after 3 weeks or so.

It's a much 'kinder' drug than the bisoprolol I started on. In fact, I take it at night because it helps me settle down to sleep.

It can be difficult at first...it just needs time.

• Posted

No it doe system worth it, especially that dosage. Make sure your doc weans your partner off them slowly. You can't suddenly stop taking them or it can cause heart problems

• Posted

Hi, I'm on 40mg Propranolol 3xday for paroxysmal atrial tachycardia. After a year on Bisoprolol and daily headaches I was changed to this and yes it has done the job and I have fewer headaches but I do still get them despite GP telling me Propranolol helps people suffering from migraines. I also find if I get up too quickly from sitting down I get a bit dizzy. I have RA so I've tended to put the extreme tiredness down to that but it's difficult to know what causes what. I would love to be off Propranolol but the one time it was stopped I immediately experienced the racing heartbeat and how that made me feel was very frightening. So to be honest I'm happier being on it and putting up with these side effects than living the way I was. Hope things work out for your partner.It can take a while for your body to adjust to a new drug. I had freezing cold hands and feet too and could get quite cold even when it was warm. I don't anymore so clearly that settled down. Good luck.

• Posted

I was on it for palps, headaches and anxiety. Prop stop them all. Didn't your doctor warn you about not getting up too fast? This medication slows your heart rate which helps to stop the palps and lower blood pressure. This is why if you stand too quickly/get out of bed too quickly upon waking, you will go dizzy if not careful

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.