My partner is still drinking while on Librium and Clonidine, please advise.

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello, I'm looking for education to understand what Librium and Clonidine

does to you if you are still drinking Alcohol.

My partner has been told not to drink (Vodka) if he is on Librium and

Clonidine. Please help me understand the effects it can have. I cant seem to

find an answer.

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Alcohol should be avoided when taking Librium and clonidine. Taking two benzodiazepines with alcohol doubles the danger of mixing them with alcohol.

The sedative effects are intensified, as is the risk of overdosing. Librium and alcohol when taken together can cause respiratory problems. BP is also effected, confusion, lack of concentration, muddled thinking, higher risk of addiction are all possible side effects of combining benzos and alcohol.

• Posted

Not to defend the reason he is doing this, he taked his meds

in the morning and will drink in the afternon, after work right

up until he goes to bed, them takes his evening meds.

I can't get him to stop drinking and he doesn't want to stop the

meds.

• Posted

Vicks has pretty much answered the question. My only other thought is, these medications (in particular) are given to people trying to withdraw from alcohol. So my questions would be, is he trying to detox from alcohol, if so, why is he drinking, if not, what has he been prescribed them for?
    • Posted

He was told NOT to drink at all, but he doesn't listen and still is.

The doctor has told him many times to not take the meds if he is

going to continue to drink. He has fallen, has had confusion and says

my fault.

He doesn't think its a problem he can't beat it. That thye don't

know what they are talking about.

• Posted

Yep, well the Librium (similar to good old Valium) stops all the nasty effects that happen to someone when they come off alcohol. Going cold turkey and stopping alcohol without it, is very unpleasant and can be dangerous if they are a very heavy drinker, plus because the effects are so bad, people end up drinking again, to stop them.

Librium stops this, but does nothing if someone continues to drink. From what you say, it doesn't sound like he will stop drinking of his own accord, alcohol does that to you and no amount of willpower is enough.

The confusion probably comes from one or two things. One, lack of thiamne (a vitamin), and the liver not removing ammonia from his body, causing hepatic encephalopathy. You can Google 'thiamine deficiency' and 'hepatic encephalopathy'. Thiamine tablets and lactulose (for ammonia) are usually non prescription in most countries, certainly in the UK, but I think you are US based. I would suggest you get both, he can continue to drink whilst taking these, it will not have any side effects.

With regards to your message to Vicks. No one is judging him by the way, most of us here, are here because we've had an alcohol problem and a few of us ended up in hospital for it (me, for one). But, the Librium is doing nothing whilst he continues to drink, in fact it is worse that he takes it, because it can cause more problems with the interaction with the alcohol.

• Posted

I know the mixture od the med and the later continued consumption of alcohol can't be good

Please advise the risks for better education.

• Posted

like the others have hinted it is really not a good idea to carry on drinking whilst taking the various medications...perhaps now is not the time and he is not ready to stop? Sorry, if I am a bit direct but this is sometimes necessary with us drinkers or ex drinkers....Robin
    • Posted

The risk are, that both mixed together will react even more. Effectively making him more drunk/mixed up than before. He is now taking two drugs instead of one (alcohol).

I have tried to explain. but if you want something, that describes all the possible side effects (unlikely), but here you go.

Chlordiazepoxide (Librium) is intended to relieve the acute symptoms of alcohol withdrawal; however, some people may use the drug to increase the hypnotic and sedative effects of alcohol. Like alcohol, chlordiazepoxide also induces sedation. When mixed with an alcoholic drink, its sedative and hypnotic effects are also amplified. The effects of mixing alcohol and chlordiazepoxide may resemble the symptoms of a chlordiazepoxide overdose, such as:

Extreme drowsiness

Excitation

Muscle weakness

Loss of coordination or balance

Fainting

Euphoria

Respiratory depression

Hypotension

Hypothermia

Coma

• Posted

Thank you just what I needed to know,

this way I know what side effects to look out for.

• Posted

I told you about the side effects of drinking whilst take two benzos in the first reply to your question.

• Posted

sorry should be whilst taking two benzos

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.