My partner told me he’s leaving today.

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi all, so my partner of 2 years told me hes leaving me today, hes not happy and hes moving on. obviously i asked why, after long discussions he tells me we have grown apart ( i put this down to a rut and the hours he works as a chef). He also says he cant see past my drinking ( a bottle of red most nights) i cut down from 1LTR of vodka daily a year ago. His mum died from drinking many years ago. we never row and he barely mention it, maybe once a year. Anyhow seems hes had enough, i offered to arrange some time at relate and also see my Gp for help but he doesnt respond. Anyhow... its the kick up the ass to change my life as a single lady going forward so... my question is where to start.., i live in a small rural village and im scared to admit this to my Gp, any advice? x

1 like, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Hi Sam. Hard situation for certain. One bottle of wine is obviously well over the limit as you know. However you could survive on one litre of vodka per day i donot know! I am a very big and heavy man of 6foot 3 and would have ended up

In hospital..sorry to be blunt but you need a change. Google the C3 Foundation Europe and also see Joannas pist here. She runs C3 and has just this evening listed the gps describing Naltrexone. Best of luck to you. Robin

• Posted

robin2015, thankyou for your reply. Well thank god i did survive and taking that down to a bottle of red a night felt like a victory to me. yes i know its far too much and i know i need to take the step of talking to a professional.. im looking for advice on how to tackle that as im scared of that first embaressing step.

• Posted

A great reply to Sam ,Robin. Such a difficult time for her , one so many of us have visited and know what it feels like to be on that cliff edge.We also know what it feels like to wake up and feel thankful every day and also know that with some work it's possible .Hope you and your family are well 😊

• Posted

Hi Sam,

I do feel your pain at what's happened with your boyfriend, but please don't start drinking vodka to block out your feelings. This might be the wake up call you need in order to try and cut down even more although it might not seem it at the moment. Use this time to focus on YOU and what you want to achieve. There is no shame at all in telling your GP your fears and about how much you are drinking (truthfully!!) and remember that everything you tell them is confidential. I suggest, if you are ready and in that zone to tackle your alcohol problem, then you make plans as soon as you wake up and ring the GP to make an appointment. They maybe able to refer you or suggest a route that you may not have taken before. If you don't ask them you won't know!!

I wish you strength and encouragement for your journey ahead and always come back to this forum as I have found it an enormous help.

Let us all know how you get on and you will find there is a wonderful network of people on here who are all united in their various degrees of experiences with alcohol and do not judge you!!

Wishing you all the best.

Claire xxx

• Posted

awesome - tell your gp, sign up for an online women only aa group, never give yourself permission to think you can drink 'normally'...it is not possible. this is something you can be sooo proud of - don't be scared. alcoholics get it. you will find help.

• Posted

Hi Sam so sorry that your partner has had enough but as the others say don't let it push you backwards into the downward spiral of the daily bottle of vodka .You are worth so much more than that .It's a lightbulb moment for you know and I think you know and are ready to do something about your drinking . There is so much support here and inspiring stories. Take Robins sound advice and Google C3 Foundation Europe and think about TSM it could be your life saver .

• Posted

Hi Sam,

Im sorry to hear this,i also have a drinking problem, not everyday but when i relapse i can drink for 5 days just not to get withdrawl symptoms. It took my partner years to understand its a disease. its not something one does for fun at this point. its no different than a diabetic that needs their insulin. Dont be alone in this recovery process, the bottle in heartbreak is more tempting than ever. i use selincro from time to time but most of the time i forget. My drinking problem is genetic as my mother was an alcoholic. Have you ever asked yourself why you began drinking? all my support and love to you. Remember you are not alone in this. we are millions with this disease. xx

• Posted

thank you for your kind words chesca27 , it touched me. I dont know what silinco is?? its nice to know people have your back wgen you feel so lonley x

• Posted

Joanna has just put up a list of GP's, mostly private I think. Have you got an alcohol and abuse recovery center in your county? If so that is usually a better place to start. Not all GP's understand the Sinclair Method. If you do go to your GP then make sure you have researched it thoroughly in advance so you can show him and explain the method scientifically etc.

I started on the Sinclair Method to reduce my cravings and amount of drinking. I then moved onto abstinence when I felt ready. I found a very helpful book (I first discovered it on-line but you can also buy a hard copy). It is called 100 Days Sober......Tired of thinking about drinking. It is amazing how many of us can identify with the same thoughts and it has helped me give up all together (that said I have had to 'reset once'). It is by Belle Robertson and she will email everyday with thoughts and short audios. I listen/read them always just to keep my head in the right head space etc.

Wishing you all the very best.

• Posted

Before you go rushing to a GP, as people are advising. You might want to consider that although what you tell them is confidential, they will probably put on your records that you have an alcohol problem.

With the advent of electronic records, hospitals etc. will also be able to see this.

• Posted

update: Todat is day 4 of no alcohol and i feel so much better already. i listened to Craig Becks " Alcohol lied to me on" last sunday and also his hypnotherapy ... no cravings since then. 1 day at a time

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.