My Partner wants to stop taking his drugs

Posted , 4 users are following.

My partner was rushed to hospital after having chest pain for hours (he only woke me after 3 hours of severe pain)

They found a blocked artery and did an angioplasty - putting in at least 2 stents into the Coronary artery.

The blockage may have been an old blockage, the heart had been bypassing the problem until now - 

He's on Bisoprolol, Tricagrelor, Ramipril, Atorvastatin, Soluble Aspirin and Glyceril Trinitrate, All of which he wants to stop taking as he feels that he's breathless all the time and has other side effects. He's not the most patient person and has mild learning difficulty - I've told him that he will likely have another heart attack if he does stop them.

Can anyone out there help me frighten him into being sensible about this

Thanks

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi

All I can suggest is that you remind him that this medication is keeping him alive! Maybe go with him to his gp to find out about alternative drugs with fewer side effects.

Good luck.

• Posted

Hi, Thanks

Yes, I plan to go with him to the GP to discuss this.

I've just scared him by going on a medical site with statistics and gruesome pictures and videos - I think it's beginning to sink in. hurray

• Posted

Hi, I had a heart attack last August and had emergency angioplasty and a stent was fitted. I am on exactly the same drugs as your partner and it took months to adapt from taking nothing to many. I have side effects and one of them is breathlessness. However these drugs are important & will help prevent another heart attack. I am seeing cardiologist in Aug when the Ticagrelor will be stopped and I am hoping that the 80mg of atorvastatin will be reduced!

You and your partner need to discuss all this with your GP.

It's very difficult coming to terms with all of this but I am alive and am building up my confidence each day.

Good luck

• Posted

Hi Lyric,

I understand the drugs, the situation, the proceedures, etc. (I have medical background etc, i understand all the medical stuff) I just want help to frighten him into understanding how important the drugs are - No one has understood his lack of "taking it all in" due to his learning difficulty - he's been so good at covering that up so far with the medics, doctors etc

• Posted

On this Forum people are more likely to frighten him with their side effects:-)

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.