My partners diabetic levels are increasing even after insulin,

Posted , 5 users are following.

he all, i just really need some advice on this one please, my parter has been diabetic for 10 years now and recently it hasnt been great, i am just wondering is it possible that her levels can remain above 25 even after taking levamire without her having any sugary or carb foods.confused

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

She needs to see her GP or diabetic nurse ASAP as this really isn't good for her, it's possible she needs her Insulin either changing or increasing.
  • Posted

If they are 25 after insulin how high are they before? Personally she needs to speak to a professional as soon as possible, she could be doing untold damage with sugars constantly that high! They should be around 7 before a meal and 10 after, leveling is slow acting, maybe she needs a medication review?
  • Posted

the thing is the levels would be 30/29 then not drop for hours, 
  • Posted

I totally agee with suzanne, she needs to see her GP as 25 is not good.  Sugar levels can go up and down and it's not just caused by food.  My levels go up in the heat but some people have theirs go down. I've read that sugar levels can go up during and after exercise and yet you would think they would go down. I have had diabetes for 20 years and have been on different insulins until I eventually settled down to "normal" levels. I was on levamire which is a long acting insulin that is injected once or twice a day, similar to the Lantus one that I now use once a day but I also inject three times a day at meal times with a very quick acting insulin (Novorapid).  It sounds as if your partner might need the fast acting insulin as well.  I was started onto the once a day Lantus and then went onto the fast injections as well but my diabetic nurse, in her wisdom, thought she would be doing me a favour by changing me onto levamire so I didn't have to inject four times a day but my levels were all over the place so I asked if I could go back to the Lantus and the fast acting Novorapid and my sugar levels  improved really quickly.  If your partner is having such high levels then she is at a serious risk of ketoacidosis as anything over about 15 can cause it and it can be very dangerous.  It's a wonder she doesn't feel ill, or does she?  Please get her seen to as soon as possible.
    • Posted

whats ketoacidosis? is that whats known as keytones?
  • Posted

Consistently high blood glucose levels can lead to a condition called diabetic ketoacidosis . This happens when a severe lack of insulin means the body cannot use glucose for energy, and the body starts to break down other body tissue as an alternative energy source. Ketones are the by-product of this process. Ketones are poisonous chemicals which build up and, if left unchecked, will cause the body to become acidic – hence the name 'acidosis'.

• Posted

I agree with everyone, my sister is insulin controlled type 2, and a year or so ago she had pneumonia, that in itself is bad but her blood sugars be game so high they where unreadable, between being carried to the ambulance and arriving at the hospital she lapsed Into unconscious, this wAs due to ketoacidosis caused by her blood sugars  going so high. She was in a coma for 3 days and spent a week in intensive care.

Never be blasé about diabeties it can cause death if not kept under control.

in sorry if I have scared you but your girlfriend needs to see someone.

• Posted

I'm a 72 yr old male with insulin-dependent T2 diabetes. I was put on insulin by my diabetic nurse at the local hospital, which has a diabetic clinic, when my BG levels soared to 25+ and I started feeling really unwell. This was almost 6 months ago and only now have she and I managed to find the dosages of insulin to keep my BG levels < 10 during most of the day. i would strongly advise you to tell your partner that getting professional help is necessary and when he/she does that then you will be very reassured that their bg management is under their control, but it will take time. i too was tested for ketones and was + but that level soon dropped back when i started insulin. please don't get too alarmed by anything you read here;  your partner will eventually get on top of managing his/her diabetes and will get satisfaction from being in this position. 10="" during="" most="" of="" the="" day.="" i="" would strongly="" advise="" you="" to="" tell="" your="" partner="" that="" getting="" professional="" help="" is="" necessary="" and="" when="" he/she="" does="" that="" then="" you="" will="" be="" very="" reassured="" that="" their="" bg="" management="" is="" under="" their="" control,="" but="" it="" will="" take="" time.="" i="" too="" was="" tested="" for="" ketones="" and="" was="" +="" but="" that="" level="" soon="" dropped="" back="" when="" i="" started="" insulin.="" please="" don't="" get="" too="" alarmed="" by="" anything="" you="" read="" here;=""  your="" partner="" will="" eventually="" get="" on="" top="" of="" managing="" his/her="" diabetes="" and="" will="" get="" satisfaction="" from="" being="" in="" this="">

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.