My PCP has prescribed a new BP med called Cartia XT 180mg

Posted , 5 users are following.

I'm having a problem finding a BP med that does not cause bad side effects. I have had problems with Amlodipine, Lisinopril, Losartan and recently Bystolic. My doctor has prescribed Cartia XT, 180mg. Has anyone had side affects from it?

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

My husband takes Cartia, it is a aspirin product, keeps his blood thin.

Cartia XT 180mg, not sure if it is one and the same product.

I would check with my Dr's nurse at the very least to find out what it is, from your posting you seem to understand it is for BP, but not directly.

I cannot take Cartia, as i have gastritis, or stomach that is producing too much acid, and burning the lining of my stomach, instead I take fish oil, for my arthritis, which has the same effect as aspirin, thins my blood and drops my blood pressure, again not directly but a side effect.

I was told twice in the last two years before surgery I must stop taking my fish oil capsules a week before surgery as my blood would be tooo thin for their liking.

• Posted

Because it would (partly) stop your blood clotting, which is not good during surgery.
    • Posted

Hi Lyn.  Thanks for speedy reply.  ...just picked up prescription. Description states it is generic for Cardizem CD.  It's used to treat high blood pressure (hypertension) and prevent chest pain

One of the the many side effects listed was stomach/abdominal pain. I'm concerned about that because I've experienced intestinal problems when I was taking Amlodipine. It was awful.  Thanks again for your input. 

• Posted

Cardia XT is a calcium channel blocker just like amlodipine.
    • Posted

Hi RHGB, I'm very surprised that my PCP put me on this considering all the problems I've experienced with Amlodipine. Thanks. 

• Posted

Hi All, I had to discontinue the Cartia XT. I became so lethargic, depressed and out of sorts. It controlled my pressure but I was slowly getting to the place that I no longer wanted to walk, swim, clean or do basic things around my home.  ...will contact pcp to try something else. 
    • Posted

I hope you get something decent. Perhaps ask that you not be given a calium channel blocker. My experience of amlodipine and then felodipine, is that I will not take CCBs.
    • Posted

Thanks. I will ask. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.