My perforated bowel - a result of undiagnosed Diverticulitis

Posted , 48 users are following.

On the morning of 17th July 2007 I was particularly happy. Summer Term had just ended so I had 6 weeks of holiday from my Teaching Assistant job ahead, my husband was coming back from a 3 week research visit to Australia on Friday and my first grandchild was due in August. Life seemed very good – I was listening to Women’s Hour, and my 16 year old son was asleep as usual upstairs. I felt a need to rush to the downstairs toilet and whilst sitting there fell forward with agonising and unexpected pain. I recall trying to shout my son’s name but being able to do so only weakly. After what seemed like hours, he arrived sleepily at the toilet door and asked what was wrong. I replied ‘this is the worst pain since childbirth’ (already acknowledged in my family as the gold standard for pain after two 3 day labours!) and he said’ better ring an ambulance then’……I recall a paramedic trying to open the toilet door to get to me, and then…….

I awoke 8 days later in Intensive Care.

So this part of my story is what everyone told me later. I was admitted to A&E and there were several hours of uncertainty as to what was occurring. Fortunately an experienced Consultant passed by and noticed how ill I was and took over the case, sending me for an X-ray which revealed air in the abdomen which meant a perforated organ, probably a bowel. He arranged for emergency surgery as the contents of the bowel would be leaking into the body effectively poisoning my system. My son called his best friend’s mother (and my friend) who came to the hospital and spoke with the consultant who said that my husband should be called as there was an 80% and rising chance that I would die in the next few hours. She made the call to my husband in Sydney and then passed the phone to the doctor who explained that I was to go into emergency surgery for a perforated bowel, would probably not survive and he needed to return at once. My husband immediately left for the airport where Singapore Airlines got him onto the next available flight to the UK with 32+ hours of travel ahead not knowing what he would find on arrival. As my son was only 16, they also called my brother as someone could be needed to make life and death decisions and my friend was asked if my husband would trust her to make those decisions in the meantime. The operation took place in the middle of night and lasted several hours – nearly a foot of bowel was removed and a stoma created to allow the bowel to heal. There had been a lot of bowel content dispersed over the body and severe sepsis had set in and after the surgery I was taken to ICU ventilated and sedated and not expected to survive.

My elder son was also called back from Sri Lanka where he was volunteering in a children’s home – he was called by his elder brother, my husband’s oldest son, who also arranged for a car to meet my husband at Heathrow and called him in Singapore to update him on the situation. It would be his story to describe his feelings but it doesn’t take much imagination to realise what a nightmare journey that must have been.

He arrived back very early Wednesday morning and the taxi driver rushed him to Leicester from Heathrow and to see me in ICU – the usual frightening scenario with lots of tubes, machines breathing for me, feeding me through tubes and monitoring all my vital signs.

Over the next few days his life had the nightmarish quality you would expect – hours at my bedside and then going home to deal with phone calls from family and friends and feeding the children, doing the washing and trying to keep some sort of normality in the home, whilst being told that the staff were concerned that I had not come round and each day like that was increasingly worrying.

I meanwhile was in a horror movie in my head where I was being held prisoner in the desert in the Middle East and then taken to an institution where I was to have my organs harvested whilst I was still alive. (I later learned that such hallucinations are normal and a result of both the drugs given and the general sedation experience).

When I awoke I saw my husband hovering at the end of the bed like a hologram and assumed it was some new Skype phone development where he could send me his picture whilst telephoning from Australia. He was unable to convince me that he was actually in the UK or that I had had emergency surgery and a colostomy. I assumed that the staff were lying to him too (paranoia is also a key feature of a stay in ICU).

Eventually I was transferred to a general ward where I spent 5 weeks recovering, and was discharged with a colostomy and a massive 11” long open wound – my abdomen had burst open after the surgery because of the systemic infection I had. Naively my husband and I thought that the wound would close in a few months and I would regain my strength and become one of those people where others said “Isn’t she marvellous, she’s had a colostomy but you’d never know”.

In fact the wound was still open when I returned to the hospital 11 months later to have to colostomy reversed - it never healed. This second surgery resulted in an ileostomy which was also reversed 6 months later, and another 12 months later I had my fourth surgery in December 2009 to repair the large incisional hernia the other operations left me with. I adapted well to having a colostomy, being in a wheelchair for a period, and to every aspect of my life being medicalised. I found the support of organisations like the Colostomy Association invaluable but was increasingly irritated by the stories of how so-and-so had climbed Everest with a stoma, or travelled round China or the Amazon basin. I’d never wanted to do those things before I was ill and I certainly don’t now. I found the incessant cultural clamour to be a ‘brave’ patient, to bear quietly and stoically my misfortunes, and to keep quiet about them as the months went by and family and friends were ready to move on and I wasn’t, particularly difficult.

I can only thank all the NHS staff who took care of me so well in those three years.

It is now over three years later and I am writing my story down because I couldn’t find out anything about perforated bowel when it happened to me, and I want someone to read this knowing that they are not the only person it happens to, and you can return to health afterwards. I would also recommend the website ICUsteps which is very helpful to people who’ve been in Intensive Care.

12 likes, 126 replies

126 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I have a question: I'm due to have my re-connection surgery in 5 weeks and the surgeon told me I'd have an option to manage my post op pain. I can choose either an epidural or IV pain meds. From what I've seen on line a lot of people choose the epidural which has pros and cons, does anyone have an opinion?
  • Posted

Barbs ,yes a dreadful experience waiting for an operation and it being cancelled ,but I am using it as a practice run ,and I now know you only get a hospital bed "after" Surgery...back in the day I think you would be put in a ward until they took you to theatre ,Today its a waiting room !along with 10 or 12 others waiting for Theatre space !!

Jlaw ,re your post on pain management l ,I was not offered anything other than epidural as my consultant said I would "need " that level of pain relief for the first few days ,thereafter down to injections and then tablets .....But I believe you shouldn't take advise from anyone but your consultant ,he will know what's best for you. This forum was started by Barbs and gives hers and others experiences ,we all share a common issue ,and yet we are entirely different when it comes to recovery etc. But eh ,that's my opinion !!!

• Posted

Oh missed saying ,If the NHS cancel any operation on the day you were due surgery ,you have to be offered another date within 28 days ..

• Posted

Barbs ,Remember me asking you about how to cope with the anxiety of preparing for Hartmann's reversal,, It was cancelled on the day in FEB ,,cancelled on Friday again on the day ..NHS doing my nerves damage Now I have options that I go to another hospital and the original hospital pay ! ,,Anyone know what this actually means (Private ??)
  • Posted

Hi all, first off I'd like to say to birminghamcityfan I'm so sorry this has happened to you, not once but twice is a terrible way to treat a patient. I'm in the US, not the UK but my son and his family lived in Cambridgeshire for 5 years and they've told us that this Obama Care is going to be like the NHS - some people here think its a great thing, but I'm not so sure!

I'm scheduled for my reversal in mid April and I'm concerned about how that "colonoscopy prep" is going to go, I can just picture it over filling my bag in 2 seconds on my way to the bathroom! Can anyone give me an idea how fast it works?

• Posted

Jlaw ,Bowel prep I had was called "moviprep " you drink 1 litre in an hour and repeat the 2nd dose 6 hours later....I should say 1st lot starts to work in 15 minutes and it lasts 2 hours or so ..Do you use a bag you can empty without changing it ? if not get some , its surprising how forceful the evacuation is and you will get into a mess trying to do a normal change ....As said I've done this 3 times now (1st for camera etc) ..Learned then it was a waste of time leaving the bathroom ,take a book or your laptop till its over

• Posted

birminghamcityfan thank you so much! I do have the bag I can empty without changing. I have to mix Miralax with Gatorade (don't know if you have that in the UK) and drink a glass every 15-45 minutes for about 2 hours and now I know to just stay in the bathroom till it's over. Thanks again!
  • Posted

Thank you for sharing your story.  I am 47 years old from San Antonio, Texas, and I suffered the exact same thing 3 weeks ago.  I am struggling to recover.  This is the most traumatic experience I have ever been through.  I was a breath away from death, with my husband and children watching, when an experienced doctor came into the room and literally saved my life. I have a long way to go.  I am currently still suffering from nightmares and I cry a lot when I think  or talk about what happened to me.  I am sure that will pass with time. My doctor has already started discussing the reversal surgery with me but it will be several months before that happens.  I am not looking forward to it but I will be glad to be rid of this Colostomy.   Praying for you and others who have suffered through this.  No one really understands how awful it is unless you have been through it.  I am so grateful for a loving and supportive husband and family or I would never have made it this far.
    • Posted

hello

?its years later, and I hope the reversal went well. Its another New Year and I'm hoping you're doing well too!

?Happy New Year

• Posted

I lost my dear friend last night to the same because she laid in hospital & the doctors didnt do a CT scan for 12 hours!!

I am devastated she was the kindest lady & my best friend!

I'm so happy you are well

RIP Angela x

• Posted

I am so sorry to hear your sad news, and please accept my condolences for you and your friend's family. 

I know that I was very lucky to survive and a lot of sufferers of perforated bowel don't make it. I understand from talking to people at the hospital that it is hard to diagnose, and even if it is spotted, your chances of survival are not very good when sepsis has set in (my husband was told there was an 80% chance I would die).

My sympathies are with you at this sad time.

• Posted

Barbs ,Just letting this group know that i had my reversal 7 weeks ago .The reason for this post is just to advise those that  are awaiting reversal expect to contract one of the complications your surgeon will have advised about ,In my case i had "IIeus"  which is basically your bowel not liking being handled and refusing to work for a few days other that filling up with gas ,my abdomin was so swollen some of the stitches broke open and   left me with a 5 inch open wound ,which i am happy to say is almost closed ,but i have to have a district nurse come every day to change the dressing ,Due to the iileus my hospital stay was 3 weeks which at my NHS hospital was not a good experience ,they are so understaffed !

Having said all of this ,am i glad i no longer have a stoma ? ,without a doubt i would do it all again

• Posted

So glad you finally got your reversal and it sounds like it was successful (eventually)!  Sorry you had to go through the burst stitches first, though,but pleased it is now healing.  There does always seem to be some 'complication'.......
  • Posted

Thank you for your insight, as i am going through a similar incideht, only mmy child is 10 months old and my husband was ccloser and able to get mne to the hospital the next day. I am in the most iincredible pain right now. I cant imagine the next few days ate going to bring. This is dreadful!
  • Posted

interesting read, sadly i have found this too late to help my case for my mum as my mum passed away in feb this year (2014)

She had a diagnosis of diverticulitus a couple of years back, but we were given no further information than the regular nhs booklet. Told to go away and live with it.

Mum didnt have too many flairs up but we would note when she did, and noted the foods that could cause a flair up.

in early jan this year i had the first of many docs out to my mum as she was very unwell off her feet and not happy to even try food, let alone consume any.

The doctors were baffled but put it doen to a diverticulitus flair up, pain relief were perscribed, not much else....wonderful medication in a non eating patient. time went on more doctor visits and a short stay in hodpital, where a large hernia and pneaumonia was diagnosed. 100% oxygen for days, mum was very unsteady on her feet, this was not her usual self, she had had a hip replacement in 98 but was able to walk.

100% oxygen until day of discharge, until she was dumped in discharge lounge with no support from staff until we got there. she was told they would not be operating on her hernia as she was a large lady it was not appropriate to operate.

mum came home and gradually became very unwell and worse and doctors from our local gps were concerned about her blood results.the hosp had not informed us of any problems  she colaslapsed on thurs 13/2/14 paramedics were extreamly helpful in picking her up but would not take her in to hospital as there was nothing wrong with her. She was physically, mentally emotionally weak, she had not eaten properly but was still expected to be at home.

fri 14/2 came more doctors and a call to ambulances for hospital transportation, this took nearly 8 hrs due to not having the correct equipment, mum became too ill the wait was too long she passed away with us by her side...just!

i feel i have failed her but i also know that paramedics doctors and hospital all failed her, some things i have not written about today as we are seeking advice of a legal case...not that it will bring my beautiful mum back, god i wish it did, but to get some awareness out there on several matters. 1 diverticulitus,2 hospital care and communication, 3 faster results and action, 4 ambulance caring equipment suitable for all not just in few specified ambulances.

my list goes on.

im glad it was a happy out come for you and hope that no one else has to suffer.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.