My PIP assessment

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi,

I had my PIP assessment on 23rd June and thankfully it wasn't as bad as I expected after reading so many horror stories online.  So if you have one coming up please try to think positively and believe they are not all bad!

I travelled by taxi to my assessment and had a friend with me for support.  The taxi dropped us off right at the entrance of the waiting room, which had glass windows so the secretary could see right through.  She was nice though - she came and opened the door for us and then asked us to sit down whist she registered my arrival.  She came over and asked me for my ID, which she took to her desk, checked and then returned to me along with a travel expenses form - so no having to get up and down to stand at her desk.  I got into my appointment on time and it was less than 10 metres from the waiting room.

I was assessed by a female physiotherapist who basically just asked me questions based on the PIP assessment criteria and I just told her really what I had written on my PIP application form.  She just typed as I talked.

At the end of her questioning she said 'I usually carry out a physical examination but I am not going to carry this out because it wouldn't be of any benefit to you and we have all the evidence we need to assess you'

So what do you think she meant? She did see me struggle to walk in and I obviously talked about my mobility issues during our q&a session, so do you think she it went in my favour or not?

My assessment lasted aprox 35 minutes and the nurse told me that she would be completing her report that day and sending it straight over to the DWP.  She also said that there is an aprox 6 week wait until decisions are made in my area at this time.

Anyway, she must have sent her report straight in because I received a text message from the DWP stating that they now had all the info required to make their decision and would let me know as soon as it is made.

I was just relieved to have it all over and done with!

Oh and I just received a letter from the DWP yesterday stating I am staying in the support group for ESA.  I sent in my ESA claim form in March so they obviously felt they didn't need to send me for a medical!  I am really pleased as I have been worrying that I may have to attend yet another medical.  

2 likes, 24 replies

24 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

in my opinion tcake the key word here is indefinite. the woman I spoke to said they're scrapping the word. so they should. it mislead loads of folk. I remember when folk opened there award letter and saw the word lifetime. again misleading. no such things. it could be said the new times she said are meaningless.or misleading. maybe, deal is, amnesty been called where forms are filled in by previous claimants and treated as renewals. no f2f required. unless there's big discrepancy between old and new forms. it'll cut time and money I'd imagine. long enough get rid of backlog anyway. backlog cleared, atos or whoever happy, government happy- ish claimant happy not going f2f happy erm sort of....for now!

• Posted

Yes, I think you might be right there Ivan!  I also think they should be able to gage which claimants are likely to improve or get worse from their initial application and assessments.   For the past 6 months I have been really trying to hard stay organised and have kepts and files every piece of medical evidence I have received - doc letters, notes on appointments with consultants, test results etc.  I am quite proud of myself, infact - I am quite a 'Little Miss Organised' now!  lol

• Posted

That is what we need to do - having paper evidence is important as you can also refer to it when filling out forms , it is also a good idea for people when they have filled out any benefit form is to photocopy it before post it , i have a pile of paperwork to go through from the past year to check what i have as it also contains copies of my reports from local CMHT - the psychiatrist sends me CC of report that is sent to my GP after each appointment .
    • Posted

Yes, defo stay organised!  I never used to bother if I didn't receive a copy of the reports sent from my consultants to my doctor but now I chase them up if I do not receive them.  I also take photocopies of all the correspondence/ forms sent regardng my pip, esa etc and I have even internet access to my doctors sugery so I can see (and print out) copies of my patient notes, medcation lists and test results.  I try to keep as much evidence as possible so if required, I can produce it!

• Posted

Have you had your result back from the PIP assessment? I recently went for mine on to the 14th of July I have no idea how it went in their eyes but I hope I said enough information that was needed.i kind of feel I didn't really say enough information so I'm not too sure what will happen, but my mum was helping me to explain things and gave her own view on how my day to day life is and what help she has to give me. The wait of finding out the result is exhausting they keep us waiting for months but want any forms back urgently or we risk losing our money.

• Posted

No, I haven't heard yet - it has been 5 weeks since my assessment. I have been told that it is taking around 8 weeks from assessment to decision in many areas of the country just now!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.