My pip claim

Posted , 3 users are following.

I have been on the standard rate of pip, the daily living component for two years now because I have bronchetasis, this is a breathing condition similar to COPD. In my interview I scored 6 points and was refused the pip. I have asked for a reconsideration but had that turned down as well> I am going to appeal. I need two more points and what my argument is. Managing Therapy. I attend breathing exercise every week for 2 hours  which I can get writen proof, and the question askes that I need supervision to manage therapy, this scores 2 points which would give me 8 pionts and be able to claim the daily living component. Do you think I am right with this?

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi Mike

The descriptor you refer to is option c. Needs supervision, prompting or assistance to be able to manage therapy that takes no more than 3.5 hours a week. Score 2 points.

The problem you face is 'managing a therapy'. PIP stands for Personal Independence Payments so by definition the descriptor is referring to a therapy which takes place in your home (living independently) and it is managed (or supervised) there rather than as an outpatient. Also you would have difficulty in justifying how this causes you extra expense due to your disability as the NHS is carrying the cost of the therapy and supervision.

That said I would still appeal if I were you but make the argument from the angle of having to take someone with you as ‘assistance’. This would depend on the severity of your breathing problems however, I’m guessing you suffer with severe breathlessness and this would cause difficulty with mobility and therefore you require assistance to attend the therapy. This is just a suggestion and you will have to weigh up your circumstances and make a decision.

Finally in your OP you mentioned that you were in receipt of PIP for 2 years so at some point you scored 8 points. Is this the descriptor where you lost points or was it somewhere else?

• Posted

Thank you for your reply. The therapy is with a private charity which I have to pay for. I notice last time I scored 4 points for cooking a meal but this time only 2 ponts. Do you think I should concentratte on this point?
    • Posted

Hi Nat

That would be a better stratagy. You need to explain why you need supervision or assisstance to cook a meal which scores 4 points. Many fall foul of the descriptor which states they can perepare a simple meal with a microwave which only scores 2 points. So your response needs to explain why you can't use a microwave due to your disability.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.