My poor mum

Posted , 4 users are following.

hi my mother had an arothscopic operation on her left knee yesterday, she had I clean out done of arthritis and to fix it from giving way she may also need a compleat reconstruction in a few months on both knee's if anyone one has had a reco can u please help me try understand what she will go though when it gets done ????????????? Thank you 

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Nadine....I had a knee replacement 5 weeks ago. I can tell you what your MOM will go through BUT just as important is the mind set of her caregiver! Be ready. How old is your Mom? The pain and healing sometimes feels like it 's as slow as I don't know what. Then you have good days a few weeks post-op where you feel the healing......sleepless nights, mood swings and frustration are things I go through. The bottom line is........"it's no walk in the park"
  • Posted

hi cecelia thanks so very much for your reply my mum is 67 so hopefully it's not to frustrating for her as far as me caring for mum I have a pretty thick skin ha ha which is good for me haha.. Maybe I will do some more resurch to see how I could try make things a bit better for her. Are you now walking with out help or do u still use a frame or crutches ?? Also thanks so very much for all you have told me so far 
  • Posted

Hi Nadine, having a total knee replacement (TKR) is a major operation which takes a long time to recover from. I suggest you browse through discussions on this site and you'll soon become familiar with the sort of problems most people encounter. I had mine done 14 weeka ago. I can do what I was doing before the op now - driving, shopping, short walks but have yet to achieve my goal of walking comfortably for an hour or so. I was in hospital for 6 days, walked with a frame on the first day, used 2 crutches for a week or two, then one crutch for a few weeks. I've been walking unaided since about 7 weeks. The first few weeks are the worst when you need help with preparing meals, shopping, personal hygiene etc. I'm sure your mum will cope if she really needs it done but she will appreciate some help at the beginning I'm sure. I would have found it very hard without my husband as my "carer" . This site is great if your mum needs to get advice or reassurance about anything. Jen 
    • Posted

hi Jennifer thanks for your insight to your tkr more so what I will have to do for my mum whilst she is recovering from her operation I wish u all the best with the rest of your recovery 
  • Posted

hi nadine ... i can only concur with jennifer, really do your research on here. there are so many of us on here daily who have just had a TKR (total knee replacement) and are sharing our experiences. please do remember though that each and every knee is different so there is no telling really what will happen. if your surgeon tells you the opposite, he is deluding himself!

i had my knee done 7+1 weeks ago. i had not been on here and generally went into it all very naively. since joining this site, i have learnt SO much. but would i have wanted to know all this prior to the op? it might have scared the living daylights out of me. personally, if my mum was having it done, i wouldn't tell her too much. let her have it done and THEN go - go - go!

what do i mean? the op is the most difficult thing i have ever had done in my life. i don't think anything can prepare you for the aftermath. basically, every day throws something new at you for weeks and weeks and weeks. you will see on here that we all go through it. physically and mentally. and i was unprepared for the amount of pain and discomfort i would suffer. how "handicapped" i would feel and still do in some instances. it has been a huge learning curve regarding pain medication (what works and what doesn't), exercising even if it is really painful, pushing yourself the whole time, workarounds and ... and ... and. so, my top four tips:

1. make sure you have an experienced surgeon, one who can listen!

2. pain medication - make sure your mum gets enough (paracetemol will NOT cut the mustard!!) and the right amount. if necessary, kick up a fuss at your gp's surgery to make sure you get what she needs

3. physio is a MUST. discuss this with the surgeon / gp and possibly even go and talk to the one they recommend to make sure the chemistry is right. the physio will carry your mum through the worst and make sure she gets the bend she needs.

4. exercises ... make sure your mum has a pamphlet or something showing what she needs to do and make sure she does them. it can be very painful at the beginning but it is a must.

tell her not to have BOTH done at the same time. she will have enough on her hands with just one. it becomes a full time occupation!

good luck.

• Posted

Hi Britta thank you so much for your openness and been strait down the line with me now I have a much better idea on what to expect like u said everyone knee's are different so very true I think I will keep the pain said of the reco to myself and only tell mum the good parts for now your top 4 tips seem to be spot on the money with doing your resurch before going under the knife so thank you once again for all your help also all the best for the rest of ur recovery take care 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.