my prolapse experience

Posted , 3 users are following.

I’ve been diagnosed with prolapsed disc very low down on my back, near the cocxys and the sciatica it’s giving me is horrendous.  Unable to sit down for more than a couple of minutes so either have to keep walking and walking or lay down flat on back, now into my 6th week.   Have to get up 3 or 4 times a night due to the pain and walk for ages to settle it down.

Sciatic pain is right in hip area, radiating down the back of the thigh, back of the knee and most excrutiating is the pain in my heel and ankle.  Luckily I have no back pain whatsoever, it’s all in my left side of butt cheek and down left leg.   Also, due to the internal pressure it feels like I’m sitting on a grapefruit!

No pain killers will touch it, only thing that works is warm hot water bottles under the areas and that helps relax and gives temporary relief and so much better than tablets with their side effects.   Been given Naproxin anti inflammartory as Ibruofen over the counter gave me horrendous high blood pressure  (I wonder how many people who have high BP are on Ibruofen which is actually causing it!!).  Naproxin making me feel really weak though.

After the MRI confirmed prolapse  I immediately had cortisteroid injected into spine via epidural.  Worked to a degree BUT 2 days later had 4 days of the worst muscle spasms ever down my leg, which was so bad it actually tore my thigh muscle!   Looking online lots of other people seem have have this symptom a couple of days after the injection so anyone considering it do your research and ask your doctor!  I bet they say oh never heard of that before so would print off other people’s experiences after the injection!!!    Another option could be injection of Botox, which has a lot more positive results.  Not many docs have heard of this so again, do some research.

Another thing to look at as a possible cause is the periformis muscle contracting over the sciatic nerve.  It’s possible to have slipped disc AND periformis muscle contractions.  Again, look it up on google and see if matches your symptoms – this is the main one that can benefit of botox injection apparently

Lastly, previous bouts of sciatica in my neck and back I’ve had accupuncture and it was marvelous, one time it immediately stopped the pain.  (would take some pain killers first as you’ll  be having needles into sore areas!).   I would also say I would never ever have any kind of physio on my sciatica again, each time made it worse as it’s nerve pain not muscle pain.  All it did was inflame it !   Good luck to everyone  xx

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi liz 

sorry to hear your in so much discomfort,however you havent mentioned "gabapentin" as a medication for sciatica ....

the sciatic nerve is the longest nerve in the body and this is what causes so much pain and discomfort ... however gabapentin are nerve specific painkillers ... they were originally designed for epilepsy but found to be useful for nerve pain .....

i know a few people who have had sciatica and gabapentin helped ... another similar medication called "pregablin" can also be effective 

gp.s/doctors should alllways prescribe these meds if nerves are affected .... ask your gp for them.and as for opiates these are useless ( eg codeine,morphine ) ..nsaids such as naproxen help reducing inflammation around the nerves but thats about it 

physio is ok for some but not for others.and finally injections are ok while they last but as you have found the pain will return but worse ...

finally im happy to hear acupuncture worked .. ive asked for this ( i have a thorasic herniated disc ) but when i went for it the physio said he can only dp physiopherapy ( which i allready had ) ... will look again into acupuncture as it sounds helpful 

i wish you luck for the future liz and best wishes xx 

• Posted

thanks for the reply.  Doc did prescribe gabapentin but looking at the side effects it sounded horrendous, am taking Naproxin currently and that list of side effects is very long and a few of them potentially nasty so really didn't want to combine the two.   I have my op coming up shortly so fingers crossed ...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.