My Prostatic Artery Embolization (PAE) process

Posted , 13 users are following.

My BPH (Enlarged Prostate) started sudden and severe state at 2010.

I will not explain the healing process. We decided to continue with medication.

I went to John Hopkins (2014) and went through the whole nine yard of Dynamic test and other evaluation to do the green laser surgery. My wonderful GP voted against it mainly because of known side effect.

Avodart increasing side effect on sexual incompetence and other physical side effects are overwhelming.  Hence I have started going through Prostatic Artery Embolization (PAE) process.

We reside close to INOVA Alexandria Hospital, VA.

They are very organized and responsive. 

Documents were emailed to me, upon completion and my request they provided an interview time. I will explain in more detail what I found out about the procedure and expectations from the interview (2-2-16).

I had my detail prostate MRI with Contrast agents yesterday (2-4-16)

The MRI will show in detail if I am a good candidate for this procedure or not. Not everyone is.

If I decided that the PAE will improve my condition, we will be scheduled for end of February or beginning of March.

7 likes, 31 replies

31 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Checked in yesterday at 10:00 AM. Procedure started at 11:30, finished at 1:00PM and was out with my wife at 1:30PM

Every one in Dr. Sterling team was just prefect. They are exceptional in care and very informative . 

They decided to keep me longer, wanted to make sure there is no bleeding.

Was release at 5:30 PM, 

At home around 9:30 PM, an unbelievable burning sensation at my penis level started. Could not even sleep.

This morning started a decline and I am doing much better, but have to visit the bathroom almost in hourly bases, since I been drinking water and electrolight water the whole day.

Scheduled for tow weeks for first checkup.

I am both hopeful and grateful.

• Posted

I had the PAE just under a week ago in Australia - the first day after I had no pain, or hardly any, but then the following few days were hell. Burning and almost got blocked up completely.

I don't think everyone agrees what the cause is, a doctor friend of mine said that since some of the prostate tissue dies, he thinks that maybe part of that process causes that same tissue to get swollen. So if the urethra is already squeezed by the prostate it will get squeezed even more. My surgeon would not confirm that is actually the reason, maybe everyone is different so he doesn't want to commit to that.

I saw some others that talk about Prostate infection causing the burning etc., my surgeon says there is very little chance of that and they give antibiotics as a precaution.

After about 3-4 days I had one good nights with first good flow for a long time, then it got bad again, though not as bad as the first 3-4 days.

I don't think you should worry, but just be ready to get a cathater if you get completely blocked up.

• Posted

Thanks for response Mike.

My Dr. and the support team tolled me this is going to happen,mainly because body causes inflammation around any foreign object until it gets use to it. So I am taking anti inflammatory drugs, pain killer and also antibiotic.

They tolled my things will get worse for two weeks and I am anticipating it. But since I am taking Flummox and Avodart, I will be fine.

​My release actually is not so bad.

• Posted

You're welcome, I just thought I would warn you since my release was OK for the first day.

That's interesting about the foreign bodies causing inflammation.

Which anti inflammatory drugs are you taking?

• Posted

Thank you, how are you feeling today/this evening?
    • Posted

Stream is weak. Bit of pain on the right leg.

​Otherwise very fine and anxious.

• Posted

Day 10 after PAE

No more pain, some bruise on th eupper leg, but as expected.

First day that I think stream is stonger.

Looking good!

• Posted

2 week checkup

Dr Sterling and Nurse practitioner Dedam asked question, made recommendation.

Great and dependable team.

Unfortunately I have to continue with Avedort for another 10 day.

​Things are looking good.

• Posted

One Month

At the one month meeting I was allowed to drop the Dutasteride(Avdart) and reduce the Tamsulosin(Flomax) to one a day.

• Posted

Ultrasound at my Urologist Office

Residue has drooped from 175 to 56.

Approximate size of prostate from 65 to 75  has drooped to 40.

Such a wonderful outcome that I hope everyone would stop cutting themselves.

• Posted

3 month

Droped the Flomax.

No Avodart.

Stream is weeker.

Wake once a night.

Do not have to rush to the bathroom. Can travle.

biggrin

biggrin

• Posted

and how is it now
    • Posted

Hi. As I'm considering the PAE for my BPH, I'm curious how you're doing 6 months on. Have you continued to improve?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.