My psychatrist kindly showed me her report regarding my shopping list of diagnoses'. At fifty,I

Posted , 3 users are following.

I wish my report was a shopping list. It indicates I am bananassad. At fifty finally I am properly treated. My previous sick life burnt every opportunity imaginable and financially. She told me I would never work again and to be grateful for what I have. Social assistance and support groups. I amounted to nothing and have very little. I literally shut off my light so I don't look at myself. Any one experience something similar?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I'm surprised a psychiatrist would say you'd never work again. How could she possibly know that? They are typically very non committal, very surprising

• Posted

Hi thank you for chiming in and daying hello. I am one of those 35% patients that havent responded well to a varied and highly monitored medication and treatment program. Plus I have had a brain injury and cognitive, emotional regulation, psychological problems snd. intellucutal challenge. Serious trauma and auditory hallucinations. I think with all this on my plate while trying to get stable and my age and very serious challenges; I believe her outlook is concentrating on my daily functioning and mental health supports. This sickness cut me down in my young teen years and blew up from there until a year ago when I moved to a different province, went bananas again waundering the streets psychotic for weeks then a nice cop helped me to the hospital. Months in and over a year of outpatient once a week. But I never made anything of myself too sick in the head and delusional about reality. This is my life and it's pathetictic, dreams are dust and it's survival everyday. I have physically aged alot due to the stress and sadness. She said I am sorry, this must be hard for you to see. The report that is. Thank you kindly for your comment

• Posted

Rubbish. Total and utter rubbish. A few years ago I had dropped out of university and couldn't hold down a full time job to save my life. I'd blown a massive amount of inheritance money and was more depressed than I'd ever been. Now, properly medicated, I'm happy, healthy and studying again.

Medication means a new life for you, as does a proper diagnosis. Just because you are slightly older does not limit your chances of work or anything else.

Your psychiatrist is probably well meaning but completely wrong. I'm sorry you've been made to feel that way sad.

My advice is take your time, work with the medication, be prepared to fall and pick yourself up again. You'll get better- age simply has nothing to do with any of it!

• Posted

Thank you for giving me encouragement. I aspire to be my personal best. You have come along way with support. Thank you for being supportive to me. I have burned endless family relationahips and employment opportunities. At least I have professional support. However my heart aches for my family friends. I am going to start volunteering at the animal humane society to at least try.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.