My RA journey begins, advice needed?

Posted , 3 users are following.

I was diagnosed with RA at the end of April.  Apparently my condition is relatively mild – I hope so!  My Rheumatologist initially put me on SALAZOPYRIN which I reacted badly too.  I am now 2 weeks in to taking METHOTREXATE (12mg weekly) a small dose and obviously this has not had time to take effect yet. 

Does anyone else experience severe pain during the night in the base of their head.  These pains seem to shoot up into my head.  I have forgone my 3 soft pillows for 1 orthopedic one.  Yet it wakes me every night & I struggle to get comfortable enough to get back to sleep.  Can anyone offer any other tips or advice that may help relieve this ?

Before bed I take 2 ROXONIN does anyone have any feedback regarding these anti-inflammatories & long term use of them.  I am taking between 4-5 a day currently which just about gives me some relief so I am comfortable enough to get through day/night.

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Every one is different. That said I have degenerative disc disease at c4-7 in my neck. I take Lyrica which helps a lot with neck pain. If you have not, I would get an MRI of your head and neck.
  • Posted

My neck is horribly affected by RA. I've had neck trouble for years, but didn't know it was due to RA. Before my diagnosis a little over a year ago I went through massage, steroid injections (18 to be exact - all on the same day..and it didn't help for long...ugh!) I also tried accupuncture, and I bought an at home traction unit - which I highly recommend. I did have an MRI, but not with contrast so the RA wasn't seen and I was told they couldn't figure out why my neck hurt so bad (also at the base of my skull radiating down my neck into my shoulders).  I was finally diagnosed with RA based on additional symptoms in my body which were happening in conjunction with my neck pain, as well as positive RF, and CCP AB. At one point my neck locked up and I couldn't move it, it was horrible. Needless to say, sleep was for sure an issue. I have tried about 50 different pillows and the one I find to be the best for me is the "My Pillow" King size. Along with both Enbrel and MTX injections I can now move my head pain free - to a point - and I almost forget I have RA in my neck most days. I don't take any NSAIDS because for one thing, they don't help much, and another is the damage they can do to your gut using them long term, not to mention your liver and kidneys. The MTX can affect those too, so I don't want to do a double whammy to them. So... My advice to you would be to try traction and accupuncture in addition to your RA meds (if your on any?). Those have helped me the most, along with "My Pillow". Hope this helps! Best to you on this very challenging journey!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.