My recent cataract surgery on the right eye

Posted , 4 users are following.

I had my cataract surgery recently about 9 days ago. Immediately after surgery it was very blurry, upon the first post op visit the doctor mentioned since I had dense cataract, it takes time . Upon my second post op visit, the Doctor mentioned I have corneal edema and gave the Muro 128 5% saline solution in addition to the other post op eye drops. Inspite of  the saline solution, my vision did not improve much and I have my third post op visit scheduled in couple of days. I am afraid and concerned I might not have any good news. The doctor asked for a 7 day period and she was very confident but I passed 

that 7 day period into the 9th day now. The vision improved

compared to the first day after surgery after 3 days, but from 3 days to 9th day it stayed stable more or less. I could see

the pics but not clear and I can recognize colours , I could

see distance objects blurry and cloudy, very near objects ok. I got implanted the regular monofocal IOL. The doctor mentioned

due to dense cataract more phaco was used and surgery was little longer and because of that I got the corneal edema.

I never knew about the cataract complications due to dense cataract surgery thought cataract surgeries were so popular and 98% successful. I got it done for my mom and father both eyes few years ago and never heard of this corneal edema and it was very successful

I request the experts and anyone who sees this message looking for suggestions. What is the max time or ideal time I should wait before going for the next steps ? Did anyone has similar situation and any luck and improved vision after 2 or 4 weeks ? The least thing I want is the corneal transplant.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I didn't have corneal odoema but I had a bleed while I was having the surgery due to an error , my sight was blurry for about 3 weeks while the blood went away it was a scarey time as like you I thought cataract surgery was foolproof . While being on this forum you learn people have things go wrong but hopefully most of us have a positive result in the end , good luck with yours.

• Posted

Thank you Caroline, so you vision improved after the 3 weeks ?
  • Posted

re: "thought cataract surgeries were so popular and 98% successful"

The problem is that when something isn't 100% successful, that means not every one is a success,   *someone* is the "statistic" with a problem. You are in that 2% (or whatever the figure is). 

If you see "very near objects" ok, that suggests eventually things will be resolved. It may be you were left nearsighted, or that you are temporarily myopic due to the corneal edema.  If you have good (or at least "ok"wink vision at *any* distance, that means that your vision can be corrected via glasses/contacts or laser to be good for other distances. The issue is whether the nearsightedness is temporary and will resolve with more healing, or if its permanent and needs to be corrected.   

Its also possible you were left with residual astigmatism, which would reduce visual quality at any distance and need to be corrected, either with glasses/contacts or with a surgical incision, or LASIK or PRK or some other laser method.

Unfortunately when complications like edema arise, people take different amounts of time to heal, and different medications work best for different people. There are different steroids and NSAIDs to deal with issues of inflammmation for example. If you are concerned about it, you could either go back to see your doctor now and see if he suggests a different medicine rather than waiting for whatever next postop appointment you had planned on, or  consider getting a 2nd opinion. A doctor would really need to examine your eyes to get some idea about how well they are healing and what the problem might be. Unfortunately of course it may wind up a waste of time since they may  say you just need to continue to wait and see how things heal and that your current medications are likely helping.

• Posted

Thank you softwaredev, I am still waiting for others who have similar conditions more or less, today I saw  the doctor, she is very confident and asked me to wait another one or two weeks and increased durazol

(corticosteroid) to 6 times from 4 and asked me to continue the muro128 5% saline solution.  The doctor did mention, the edema sorrounding the pupil went away and but now everything is concentrated right on the pupil bec of which my vision not improving she mentioned. For now I have no choice other than waiting for another week or so

• Posted

After almost three weeks plus after the surgery, the corneal edema subsided and my vision improved a lot. Even halos and glare in the night lights also reduced. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.