My Recovery - Day 21 Post Op

Posted , 2 users are following.

It was recommended that I get hemorrhoid surgery when I had my last flare up that lasted about 3 weeks. I was in agony.

The day of surgery was uneventful and I went home with a batch of prescriptions. Day #1 post op was fine. Minor discomfort. I was still under the influence of the local anesthesia. I took a percocet in anticipation of pain. The morning of Day #2 I took another. Then I passed my first BM and all hell broke loose. I was in excruciating pain. I took multiple baths. I did not take any more percocet from a fear of constipation. I took medium strength prescription pain killers. I took fiber/stool softener/laxative each evening. And an antibiotic for 10 days.

For Days #3 - #8 around there were tears and curses. After each BM I was in such bad pain. I was OK by night and slept fine. Just to start over again the next morning. I was never far from a toilet because my schedule was unpredictable. Around here I stopped taking all painkillers.

I was eating very little but all whole wheat: bread, crackers. Vegetables. Apples. Repeat.

By Day #9 the agony changed to just pain. That week was hard as well but not so excruciating. I had settled into a pattern of a BM as I awoke and started to move each morning around 7. Then another around 8:30-9. After the first I was pretty OK. After the 2nd I was out of commission. I would sit with my legs up to put minimal pressure on my backside.

By 3 PM I felt a little better and could clean or cook a bit. Even run some errands. I felt a lot of pressure though after the BMs and that was annoying. But nothing would happen until the next morning.

Starting week 3 things were even a bit better. I only felt the pain and pressure for maybe 2 hours after the 2nd BM.

My best day was Day #18, the day of my follow up appointment. I was dreading it due to the internal exam. The surgeon suggested I take a painkiller before coming into the office and I did. The exam was not wonderful but not awful.

Here I am Day #21 and I can wipe without pain and I don't need baths so much though I take one in the morning after the BM. It feels soothing. I am reducing the fiber/stool softener/laxative so the BM is getting slightly harder but still soft. I feel my bottom irritated after each BM. But it's not awful. Just annoying. The surgeon says I'll feel the irritation and pressure for perhaps about another week. We'll see.

I'm happy to answer any questions.

3 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Edited

not a question really, i had banding on the 4th January & said i have to go back in 3 months time for a second lot, if that fails they have mentioned surgery but even the doctor said he'd prefer not to do it, just waiting now for a date for my next appointment

• Edited

I am not familiar with banding. I wish you luck with the procedures.

Two years ago my doc told me if I can live without surgery I should. I was a bit annoyed by his answer because the hemorrhoids were painful too. And they'd come back every few months or years. But after the surgery I understood his comment. The first 7-10 days were hell. But I am now about 1 month post surgery thank g-d doing great. I have no pain, no discomfort. I only take normalax each evening and I walk 1 hour every day to keep things moving. BMs are still soft and just a bit uncomfortable, like stretching, but I feel fine afterwards.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.