My reflux nightmare is over!

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hey everyone! I've posted here before seeking advice about severe, chronic reflux and difficulty swallowing. After years of trying every home remedy in the book, every medication possible, having my esophagus dilated only to have trouble swallowing again after a few weeks, I got frustrated and sought a second opinion with a new doctor. The new doctor did another endoscopy and found that I have eosinophilic esophagitis. An allergic reaction! My previous doctor misdiagnosed me and therefore has been mistreating me for nearly 4 years! I am being referred to an allergist to figure out what the allergy is and will start treatment for it. 

I wanted to post here in case anyone has had a similar situation. My previous doctor wrote me off as crazy when I told him NOTHING I tried was treating my problem. I changed my diet, changed my sleeping position, started exercising more regularly, avoided acidic foods, took all of my medication to the T, tried all the home remedies out there and never found any relief. Now I know why! If you have had a similar experience do not be afraid to advocate for yourself or switch doctors. I'm so relieved to have finally found a doctor that listened to me and helped me find answers! 

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

May I ask what your exact symptoms were while having this issue for past few years?
  • Posted

Happy for you Amanda!!! Let us know how it goes with your new treatment. And please tell us what your symptoms were.
  • Posted

Good for you. It pays to get a second opinion. I wish everyone would on this forum.😎

• Posted

My symptoms were mainly heartburn and difficulty swallowing. I would feel like food would get stuck on the way down and take an extra few sips of water to go down. My heartburn improved some with Zantac but the difficulty swallowing never went away. I'd have some relief for a few weeks after having an esophageal dilation but it would be right back not long after. 

• Posted

The condition you have is unfortunately poorly understood , hence your misdiagnosis.  Hopefully your doctors can find out what triggers it and give you treatment.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.