My reflux seems to be getting worse

Posted , 8 users are following.

I have suffered from reflux for 12 years now and take 40mg daily Omperazole.  Over the last month or so my symptoms seem to be getting worse.  I am due to have an endoscopy on Tues and i had a scan on Friday (I thought i had gallstones but it's not that, but i seemed to have a lot of 'gas').  I am suffering mild upper abdominal pains.  Every morning when i wake up i can hear the regurgitation of my reflux going up and down whilst i am still lying down and i belch a lot first thing in the morning before i even eat or drink anything.  The first thing i do when i wake up is take one of my 20mg tablet of Omeprazole.  This is really getting me down at the moment, not knowing why my reflux has worsened just lately.  Has anyone else had this?

1 like, 36 replies

36 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Thanks all for your replies they really help. My endoscopy is tomorrow, it's my first one in 12 years since being diagnosed with reflux - can you believe it? Just a thought, but I am wondering whether I am on wrong medication for my symptoms, I am on Omeprazole (40mg) for my reflux but if they find tomorrow that my stomach is say producing too much acid, wouldn't I need antacids? Are they the same thing?
  • Posted

A PPI is very different to an antacid. typically people start with something like Gaviscon and then move onto a PPI when that doesn't work. A PPI reduces the generation of acid
    • Posted

I was only ever prescribed Omeprazole but this doesn't seem to be working for me anymore. Will see from my endoscopy tomorrow what they can suggest.
    • Posted

There is a study which showed that for a group of patients Lanzoprozle was more effective
    • Posted

That's interesting, do you know what the differences are between the two?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.