My resting Heart rate was about 50 a few months ago but has now dropped to 47

Posted , 5 users are following.

I am a 47 YO male. No health problems apart from higher than normal cholesterol levels whilst onlt being moderatrely overweight.

I bought a good digital watch with what seems to be an accurate heart rate monitor and noticed the resting heart rate consistently below 60. I went to see the doctor and she took a reading at 60. I got an ECG done and I think the reading was the same but there was no problems with the ECG. But maybe, my heart rate was higher at the doctors due to nerves etc? My resting heart rate, according to my watch has dropped to about 47.

On occasion i do get dizzy but it is rare, and maybe due to irregular diet patterns. I tend to experiment with different fasting diets like 5-2 diet and no breakfast etc.

Do I have BradyCardia?

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Are you an athlete, racing cyclist or the like?
    • Posted

I exercise semi regularly ... but i used to do athletics regularly. I was thinking that could have permanently lowered my heart rate?
    • Posted

Some seem to say an enlarged heart returns to normal after 6 months of no longer pushing it, others say it can be permanent. When had an echocardiogram, I was chatting to the fella and told him I used to cycle to National Championship level, the fella replied, "that explains what I am seeing", it was 40 years ago I used to race!

I always retained a good slow pulse though until my current problems. Thought it does occasionally still go down as low as 53 when resting.

• Edited

Hi,

My father also had heart beat of around 40 to 50. When we checked with doctor it resulted in blockages in the heart. So I would advise you to check with your doctor. The blockages might be just at a first step and can be cured through medicines.

• Posted

A heart rate of 60 and below seems unhealthy. This is why you experience dizziness on occasion. Heart rate should always be over 100 but lower than 140. You need to always eat well, and train when you can.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.