My review of Pregabalin for anxiety

Posted , 5 users are following.

Even though Pregabalin is an anti epileptic medication, in the UK it's recently started being prescribed for anxiety. Some people have said it almost completely removes their anxiety and others say it doesn't do anything. I went to the doctor recently and asked if I could try some, he also said it only works for around 50% of people, but I thought it's definitely worth a go.

So day one I took one tablet 50 mg and i felt really really sick about one hour after. I couldn't be sure if it was the medication, but by the evening the sickness had gone. But as I could not be sure the sickness was from the Pregabalin i tried it the next day and the same thing happened sad It's a shame that it didn't work for me, it just made me feel very unwell. Although don't be put off by my experience, it maybe ok for you, but just be aware the sickness could happen. But if you are willing to try it, it's now available in the UK for anxiety and it's apparently very VERY effective for some smile

1 like, 17 replies

17 Replies

• Posted

Hey, 

I've been on celexa (citalopram) 10mg. I just started my 17th week on it. It's helped me huge! It does have rough side effects but they dissipate as the drug levels off in your body. There's a forum just for this drug. Talk with your dr. I was on Xanax before this as I had anxiety. After a horrific car accident in December 2015 I started developing dizzy spells and clogged ears and a lot of mucus. I went to several dr's and had numerous tests. All clean and my diagnosis was anxiety. I found a neurologist who suggested this drug. I stared at the filled bottle for 5 weeks before I decided to take it.

I was hospitalized 2x and it was for panic attacks. It took me several months to finally admit that was what they were. It was a living nightmare for 1 1/2 years. I hope this helps you. 

Will😎

• Posted

Hi Will, thank you so much, that's really good to hear how much it works for you. I appreciate your advice, that's so kind. I too am taking a similar thing called venlafaxine as i took citalopram for about 10 years. citalopram worked great but i started to build up a tolerance so thats why I changed to venlafaxine. The venlafaxine hasn't fully worked yet so thats why i tried the pregabalin. But a few more weeks im sure the venlafaxine will start to work, i hope smile 

• Posted

What dose were you were on the citalopram ?
    • Posted

I also have a high stress job. 10-12 hours a day which does not help my health but it pays the bills. 
    • Posted

Hi Will, I was taking 40mg a day, I was on the same dosage for the full 10 years and only noticed a problem in the last 6 months, so don't worry it takes a long long time to build up a tolerance to citalopram. Plus you can up the dosage higher but i just thought it would be best to change as i had been on it for so long. Sorry to hear about the stressful job, is it getting easier with the citalopram?

• Posted

Hi JJ, 

My job is the same but I’m so focused now with the citalopram that yes its easier for me. I thank you for sharing your experience with me. When I first started the med I was having horrible side effects. I asked my dr if I should go up since a lot of people on this forum suggested. He did the opposite. He had me cut the 10mg in half for 6 days and then go back to 10mg. It worked for me. I’m lucky with this dr he is very popular and I was able to see him because of my ophthalmologist. I believe it’s all who you know sometimes. It’s amazing how all those crazy symptoms I had have dissipated. I was so convinced that I was dying. 🤔.   I just came home from a vacation out west which really helped me relax and appreciate my surroundings. Do you get side effects from the venlafaxine? Keep me posted of how you are doing! 

Will😎

• Posted

Hi Will, that's great to hear you had a Dr that understood the side effects and how to stop them! Yes there can be some side effects from venlafaxine but they are almost the same as citalopram, thankfully i didn't have any side effects as I started with a 1/4 of a 37.5 mg tablet, that's a really really low dosage, like a cat dosage haha smile but i think it's the best way. I upped the dosage so slowly I had no side effects smile That's great to hear you had a nice vacation smile some good news to tell you as well, with citalopram i found it just got better and better over a few years. Like when the brain gets used to it more it just really makes you feel amazing smile You are for sure on the right meds. Yes we will definitely stay in touch, let me know if you need any advice about citalopram xx

• Posted

Thanks jj! 

Good luck and keep going slow with the venlafaxine. Has dude effects but insomnia is not one of them😃

Will😎

• Posted

Hi,

Keep well away from this poison !! Pregabalin/Lyrica.

• Posted

Yes you are totally right!! Not nice stuff sad
  • Posted

I've been taking pregabalin for about 10 weeks now, for GAd.I was initially on 75mg twice daily, then my psychiatrist upped them to 100mg twice daily.initially, they were great-I felt calmer than I'd done in years, but for the past 2-3 weeks my anxiety seems to be increasing.I'm very restless, can't concentrate and am getting obsessive-eg about health issues.I'm trying to calm myself using meditation but it's very difficult. Your post alerting to the dangers of pregabalin interests me- can you please tell me more.

• Posted

It's not designed to treat panic/anxiety disorders, simple as that, the doctors are lead to believe that it is. It will fry your brain literally and ……. 100's if not more other side effects that take years to get over

• Posted

I have private messaged you elizabeth112 in regards to your concerns. hope it helps in making an informed decision. 
    • Posted

Hi Elizabeth, I'm so sorry to hear that sad Of course I will tell you all I know, so in regards to my personal experience there is only the info above. But sins writing the above post I have done some research about it and I watched a few YouTube videos. Some of the information was really alarming, although of course the videos are the worst case situations and I'm sure it's ok with you as you have only been taking it a short while.

So I would recommend typing 'Belfast’s pregabalin Addiction' into the youtube search bar. Also I would just type in 'pregabalin' as well into the youtube search bar and you will see a list of peoples testimonials. But please don't worry to much as you have only been taking it a short time so you are going to be totally fine. Even if you had been taking it for a long time, these videos are only some peoples experiences.

But as you are experiencing these problems already, maybe you could ask your dr to advise you how to taper the dosage. You could try some other medication instead smile I recommend citalopram or venlafaxine. I hope this helps you xx

• Posted

Hi Samuel, yes I totally agree with you as well. I just watched a few documentaries on youtube about it sad it's not good stuff at all, it's odd that they prescribe it for anxiety x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.