My right ear is blocked. What is going on?

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hello all,

I woke up yesterday with my right ear blocked and clogged. I’m very sensitive to sounds and things sound a very muffled. When I put my finger over my left ear, I feel normal pressure and it feels normal. When I put my finger over my right ear, I feel no air pressure and it makes a weird throbbing noise. (Sorry if I’m explaining this poorly). I have not had any colds, allergies, or anything of the sort. I don’t particularly feel congested. Anyone have any idea what this could be? Thanks for your time!

Sex: Male

Height: 6’1

Race: Caucasian

Duration of Complaint: 48 hours 

Any existing relevant medical issues: None

Current Medications: escitalopram 20 MG

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Welcome to my world. But throw in some Tinnitis (ringing in the ears) and some dizzy spells as well as a knot or two on my skull and you are exactly in my world..you probably got etd...Google it..stopped up ears will usually come and go..if not soon, go to an ENT..he can tell ya an excercise that may work..or some flonase spray..possibly may work..Good Luck..
    • Posted

Well that sure sounds depressing, sorry to hear about your issues. Did yours end up going away? How long does this usually last?
    • Posted

The ear stopping up does, but the tinnitis is here 24/7.

sad From what I understand with the ear, the eustation tube stops up sometimes causing the ear to crackle, pop and feel full. Thus..ETD..Sometimes you can close yr mouth after taking a breath and hold yr nose and blow gently. Sometimes it will unclog. Ya may have to do it more than once. My ENT told me to do tht like 20x a day..I'm lucky to get it done 1x..Maybe that can help..but hang in there...this too shall pass...take care..

• Posted

Yikes, sorry to hear that. Went to the Doc today and he told me I have ETD so you hit the nail on the head. I just had the worst dizzy spell, I could barely walk and I felt like I was going to throw up. He prescribed me fluticasone 50 mcg & predniSONE 20 mg tablet. Man, I really hope this goes away because I feel like DEATH. I've never felt so damn nauseous and I just feel defeated. 

I just want to get my normal hearing back and thing to go back to normal sad 

• Posted

Totally understand that. ME TOO..Iv been battling horrendous dizzy spells as well. About 5 in past month or so..yesterday last one. Thank God I got vertigo pills from dr. I'm leaning twards menieres disease for me..I hate to admit tht but these dizzy spells coming to often..glad you found out what you have..ETD isn't fun..trust me I know..did he tell you what ya needed to do? Did he suggest the excercises or spray?

• Posted

Just saw what you said he prescribed you..hope it helps..he didn't say anything about holding your nose and blowing? Thts the excercise ent told me..hoping spray helps u. I got the flonase ( generic) gluticasone spray. But I bought me a more natural one called xlear. Didn't want the side effects of the first one..

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.