my scar is causing me problems

Posted , 6 users are following.

I am 4 weeks 2 days post op. My scar did not have staples or stitches but was finished on top with glue. Now i have some uncomfortable scabs which are a problem because they catch on my stockings. I have tried covering them with a dressing but this is not really good either as the scabs are compressed into my skin and painful. Scar itself is healing in parts and clean but i dont know what to do about these tough scabs. Has anyone else had this problem?

1 like, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

it's going to take some time. Whatever you do don't push the healing as you could cause infection. I used Vit E oil and massaged it in a couple of times a day. It's going to take a few weeks for complete relief.
    • Posted

Thanks. I would rather let it take its time. Did you put oil on the scabs too?
    • Posted

yes.......it softens and heals. I know there are other creams and oils that others use but this was recommended to me by my therapist.
  • Posted

HI sally, my incision was stapled and one of the staples was just hanging in

and always caught on covers and such. ouch!

what I did was put a piece a saran wrap over it and it worked quite well.

not sure if it will do the trick for you but if you keep it on overnight, you might find the scabs heal a bit quicker as well. just a suggestion.

• Posted

Hi Sally. .. I had staples but had a bit of a scab along the scar after they were removed... I have used bio oil... and it got rid of them quite quickly. .. its supposed to help the appearance of scars too.. not cheap but I'm finding it is working. ..
  • Posted

Hi Sally my friend in the U.K. who had the TKR was glued together with superglue ( I had Staples, and said it looked unsightly and the scabs were part glue and part blood and it took a little longer but they all dropped of and left a neat result.

Regards Paul

• Posted

Vaseline is a cheap and useful alternative to vit. E cream. Recommended by dermatologists on healing wounds. Main thing is to let the scabs drop off naturally.
  • Posted

Thank you everyone for your help. I put a little e45 cream on it today and it does seem a little easier. So many little things we just dont know thatbis why this forum is so useful.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.