My scar is realy hot ,!!!

Posted , 4 users are following.

i had staples removed Wednesday nurse noticed scar area was realy hot, and weeping..sent me up to doctors who put me on antibiotics. It's still the same, I am ultra sensitive to any creams or metals.. Could it be the staples caused reaction? Or worse could the actual knee replacement be causing heat?

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

What did the doctor say to you? Is it a possible infection?
    • Posted

Well,she said it was poss infection. Had a blood test waiting for results..I know ime only two weeks post op, but the scar is so sore and hot.i had breast cancer five years ago and had reconstruction after mastectomy ,they put implant in and it just burned burned then leaked through scar and had to take implant out as there was five sites that was infected.the surgeon was realy apologetic and said it had never happened before and it was prob my body refusing a foreign object. I will have to check blood test results and just go back if it doesn't start cooling down.x

• Posted

Yes I have it on nearly all day..instant relief ...
  • Posted

Hi Granny. I had 36 staples with my TKR nearly 4 months ago. My knee is still swollen and often feels hot which is from swelling. Elevate and ice will help considerably. It'll take almost a year for all swelling to go away. 

• Posted

I didn't have staples but dissolving stitches. I'm 3 months post op and my knee is still warm. I think it's pretty normal during the healing process for the knee to be hot. It's quite an extensive surgery and hard on the body. Lots and lots of ice and evaluation. Best wishes

• Posted

There could be a slight infection created by a staph. The antibiotics should have it under control in 5 or 6 days. Be sure and add increased hydration to your routine. Hydration helps fight infections. Don't apply any thing in the way of liquids to the incision. Our nephew is an infectious disease Dr. and he says we all have enough staph on our skins to kill us but most people have a good enough immune system to fight them off. Unfortunately people like me don't and I'm continually in trouble no matter how much pre op. scrubbing and care I take I have serious staph issues. Generally speaking, it takes about 30 days for a staph to incubate. Unless you are running a temperature and you have a substantial amount of nasty yellow drainage its probably just a minor but scary situation. Possibly as simple as an internal stitch acting up. Remember.....rest and hydrate.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.