My Second Gout attack within 2 years Dr doesn't believe me... testing Home remedies, what will work?

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi I am 30 years old and I had my first attack on Christmas eve 2013 (left toe) needless to say it ruined the Christmas break and Ney Years for me.

At first I thought it was a football injury I had picked up and then after 3 days of excrutiating pain I decided to go to a&e where the doctor quickly diagnosed it as a Gout attack. Before he told me I hadnt even he thought it would be gout and if I am honest didnt know anytihng about Gout (well apart that Henry the VIII suffered from it) I was shocked as I thought it only happened to older slightly more portly men. Here I was 29 years of age who excercised regularly, not over weight and drank very little alcohol and the only meat I eat is chicken. 

The doctor advised to manage the pain with Cuboprefen (ibuprofen and Codeine) and to apply Voltarol topically. Although this somewhat stemmed the pain it did nothing to actually solve the problem (as it was an a&e doctor he probably just wanted to get me out the door) After 2 weeks my foot was still double the size and I was using a walking stick to get around and couldnt even put a shoe on! I managed to then get an appointment with my local GP (who I have never seen before!) and when I went in to see him he quickly dismissed the notion that it could be gout and laughed saying I was too young and healthy to have gout! I demanded a blood test but he refused and sent me away and just said to continue with the voltarol and pain killers. 

At this point I was getting a little depressed, I couldnt sleep, couldnt really go anywhere and the pain was increasing. I did some research on the internet and found a whole host of home remedies, The one that worked for me was drinking cherry juice and taking frozen dried cherry capsules, within 3 days of taking this the pain and swelling eventually started to subside and after 7 days the pain and swelling completely went, I was sceptical that it was the cherry juice that "cured" me as it could have just went away on its own accord. So all was good and I continued without any incident until yesterday. I woke up with the same burning pain in my toe and my foot has swollen to a size of a balloon...I went to the my GP this morning and again he refuses to beleive me or provide me with any tests. I am beyond frustrated with him and during consultation I asked for a second opinion...he bought another colleague in and she also said its not "likely" to be gout. I am pretty convinced it is as all the symptoms are there and the onset happened after I had a couple of pints of Guinuess and some Makarel the previous night. I am really not sure what to do about Doctors, its not like I see them at all and when I do need them they dismiss me, I mean a pay my taxes like everyone else but dont get anything back from here. I have subsequently decided to go private and see if I can at least have a proper consultation with someone who wil llisten to me. 

However in the interim I am going to try the following home remedies and will chart how well they are working to get rid of the pain and sweling. 

1) Baking Soda mixed with Water

2) Cherry Juice and frozen dried cherris

3) Cellery Seeds

Also whilst this episode is ongoing I will not be drinking any alcohol (I only really drink 2-3 pints of lager a week) or eating any Chicken or Fish. 

I really need to shift this within 3 days as I have a flight to America to catch on Wednesday the 22nd of April otherwise its a cancelled flight. 

Sorry for this post as it does seem just like a rant but it has made me feel a little better venting!! 

Hopefully my next post will be more positive. 

Thanks

VSM 

1 like, 17 replies

17 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Did he actually give an opinion as to what it might be if not gout? It's the opposite of my doctor who I thought was a little quick to diagnose my swollen foot as gout, seeing as I had actually injured it (but only mildly) a few days before.

I would go back and insist on a blood test to see what your levels of uric acid are. It's not conclusive, but if they are below a certain level it would certainly rule it out.

I've been trying cherry juice and high does vitamin C, beer only at weekends, using a standing desk but I'm not sure it is doing a great deal. In fact my other foot, that has never had an attack before, has been slightly swollen (but not at all painful otherwise) for a few days now, almost feeling like I have slightly sprained it.

My doctor has prescribed Allupurinol but the thought of taking a pill for the rest of my life is just too depressing and I can't believe there won't be some long-term side-effects somewhere down the line. I might have to bite the bullet though if I ever want to go back to playing sport.

• Posted

He said that it was probably a ruptured tendon or ligament causing the swelling and pain and said it might have been done whilst running, but I know this is probably not the case. I have bitten the bullet and made an appointment with a Private clinic to get a professional diagnosis as at the moment I am just going on what I have researched on the net. 

I have read about Allupurinol and I am like you, I wouldnt want to take it for the rest of my life either, I would prefer to make lifestyle changes but by the sounds of it there arent many obvious ones I can make apart from never drinking and to stop eating chicken and fish all together, if that doesnt work and I get an attack again then I wouldnt know what to do. I feel for you, I am the same, playing sport and being active is a massive part of my life and having gout attacks really alters this. Hopefully you will find a remedy that works for you. I think everyone is different so if the Cherry Juice isnt helping try something else, I guess you want to exhaust all home remedies before using the medication. 

In the last couple of hours I know this might sound crazy but I have eaten an apple taken baking soda and water and also had some cherry juice and the pain has subsided a little and appears to be getting a little better. I have not had any pain killers. Although this could be a placebo affect. Hopefully this combination will see me through the weekend and I will write an update in a few hours to let you know if there has been anymore improvements. 

• Posted

OK, here's what you have to do: Take the cherry pills with you, lots of them, a whole bottle. (oops - you don't have any - but quickly find them when you get to america - you will need to take them every day.) So then, take two *sealed* unopened bottles of cherry juice with you. One in your carry on. Explain that it is for medicinal use. Drink it while in flight.  Take a small unopened box of baking soda with you, and explain.

I am old, and had gout for years and years. I travel to Australia every two years and manage with cherry pills, apple cider vinegar pills, stinging nettle leaf pills, celery seed extract pills, and dring lots and lots of water in flight.

For daily prevention: drink 3 litres of water a day, each glass of water containing either fresh lemon juice *or* a shot of apple cider vinegar.  I'm flying to Austral on June 9 from Toronto.

I will be interested to follow your progress.

• Posted

Hey fsrvival, thanks so much for the advice it is grearly appreciated. I am so scared that I might get a flare up during flight and cant think of anything worse. It is re-assuring that you travel and manage to keep it at bay. I am certainly going to put together a flight "gout survival" pack with what you have just mentioned. 

I have just posted a little progress from a what I had taken a few hours ago, and it seems to be helping taking Baking soda with water, eating apple and drinking cherry juice. Will post again in a few hours with a progress report. 

Again thanks so much for the advice

• Posted

Hi All

I promised a status update:

My Gout flare up occured last night and in the morning 9.00 went to see the doctor who was not much help and suggested it was ligament/tendon damage in my toe. 

Since 10.00am I have been drinking 1 pint of water mixed with Baking Soda and eating frozen cherries and a fresh apple. 

At 11.00am I had  glass of Cherry Juice and an Orange and an hour later the pain had subsided a little and the swelling had gone down. 

Again about 1.00pm had a pint of water with baking soda and an Apple 

3.00.pm glass of cherry juice with frozen cherries and an orange and I can honestly say that the pain has reduced vastly and the swelling is going down. 

5.00pm Adding Celery seed tablets into the remedy. Hopefully I can get this shifted in 24hrs or it can go horribly wrong and end up worse but so far so good and slowly I can feel it getting better. 

It is probably worth noting I have not had anything to eat apart form the fruit mentioned. 

• Posted

VSM,  the sodium in the baking soda can wreak havoc with some of your bodily processes if you take a lot of it on a regular basis. I tend to save it for the middle of the night, and during the day drink lemon water, or apple cider vinegar water. 

Once you're off the plane, look for some *potassium* bicarbonate - it will have the same effect for your gout (it's the bicarbonate piece that does that) and get you away from the sodium. I got mine from the internet, from a wine/beer home-brewing supply company. It is medically peer-reviewed for gout relief.  Like baking soda, it can be used in baking for scones and muffins.

When I get to the hotel in Sydney, I'm going to bribe room service for three whole lemons. Ahhh!  safe at last.

• Posted

As an ex sufferer of gout, Heres how to get rid of it Herbal remedy

Cherry Effect capsules, follow the instruction for dosage. these break up the crystals.

Bromelain  tablets ,for the pain .

Believe me, they work, so always keep some to hand ,in case you feel it 

coming on 

No need to take anything else. 

• Posted

Hi Jacqueline

Thank you for the advice, will add the Bromelain tablets to my "gout survival pack"

Forums like this are invaluable.

Thanks

VSM

• Posted

Hi All

Well I have had a blood test this morning at a provate clinic and the doctor said he thinks it 90% likely to be gout. However he did also say having a blood test wont be conclusive the only sure way yo know is to take some fluid out of the toe joint....which would be extremely painful.

Anyway I continued my home remedy and I can say the pain has reduced 80% and the swelling about 70% I can actually walk on my foot (well hobble)

I will continue drinking Cherry juice and taking celery seed tablets. Also thanks for the advice about bicarbonate of Soda...I have switched to Fresh lemon juice in the water instead...The Bicarbonate of soda was giving me a headache!

I am hoping that by continuing this remedy it will all be clear by tomorrow night. Anyway you are probably bored of my updates but I thought I would share anyway for any fellow gout sufferers who would like an account of someone trying a home remedy for quick releif and cure.

Thanks

VSM

• Posted

Hi VSM,

Thanks for the update. I too was put off by the thought of the needle in the toe but I'm beginning to wish I had asked for it, as I think it would be worth it to know for sure, especially before starting any real drug therapy for it (like Allopurinol or Feboxstat). I've heard mixed stories as to just how painful (or not) it is.

Let us know what your test says your levels of uric acid are.

Always difficult to know whether home remedies are doing the job unfortunately, or whether the attack is just passing regardless of anything you have done. Hope it keeps getting better for you though.

• Posted

Cherry juice alone doesnt do it for me, but I added celery tablets and havent had an attack since - 10 month ago. Think you are on the right track.  I remember cider vinegar slackeng an attack within an hour once too.

Gout attack makes the skin red, tight and feel hot around big toe.  On my first ever attack I knoew what it was instantly as its quite distinct.

• Posted

Hey All. 

Just been back from the private clinic who advised of my blood results, the 8.5 was the reading which as the doctor said not very high but higher than what he would consider normal. 

However since then the pain and swelling has virtually gone and anther blood test has been taken to see what "normal levels" of uric acid in my blood stream would be. 

All of this again was not conclusive however it was advised that gout was the most likely the cause. 

It was also advised that if the remedy of Cherry Juice and Cellery seeds had worked I continue with that instead of going doing the conventional drug route. 

I am very releifed that his has cleared up before I fly out, but will be taking my gout survival pack with me, last thing I need is a flare up half way across the Atlantic. 

Thanks all for the advice, 

VSM 

• Posted

Hi VSM,

I'd say it is a bit early to be taking a second reading from your blood. The standard advice is to wait at least four weeks from an attack and then check what the uric acid levels are.

Often they are higher (strangely) after an attack than during, which was the case for me and I wouldn't be surprised if your levels also rise afterwards - in fact it's quite a good indication that this is actually gout if they do rise.

Might have to get some of these celery seeds myself and see what they do for me. smile

• Posted

Dear VSM, Lots of people think there is a quick home remedy. Let me just say that your alkalinity must be a bit lacking, so you are now more acidic. When you become more acidic gout pops into the picture and unfortunately it hurts more and more as time goes on if you don't fix it. We have to see a nurtitionist or learn all about gout and its causes and cures. Then you may choose to eat a healthier diet. The things people suggest for quick remedys work somewhat but it's the total of your dietary intake that brings you back to a more alkaline state of being.

I had the same problems as you and the doctors didn't believe me or suggest what I should do to get better except they said I'd have to be on allopurinol for life. I'm not a pill popper so I went to the intenet like you are doing.

I decided to make some life style changes with my life. It isn't easy after eating and drinking what ever I wanted. But the pain was so bad, I just started looking up ( gout diet ), gout causes, gout foods, alkaline Vs Acidic Charts of food, etc.

Then I put that knowledge into use, I went in all the way and for the first month with no meats. I cut out beer (yeast), soda and  fruit juices (sugar = acid) processed ones that is, natural fruits and nonprocessed juices are ok. Now I have chicken or fish with beef or pork once a week or so. I try to eat 4 or 5 fruits  and 5 vegetables every day. I also avoid High Fructose Corn Syrup HFCS. Making sure to eat all the fruits and vegetables, and many salads with chicken in them if you like. Stay away from carbs also, white bread & rice, flour, sugar. 

It's the total balance of your PH,  your kidneys can only get rid of so much acid, then the rest turns crystaline in your joints. That is where the pain comes in the crystals are sharp, so when the joints move they hurt. The kidneys wont have to work  so hard if you eat more alkaline foods. 

My uric acid level was almost 3 time the norm. now it is just a little on the alkaline side. I have not had a bout now in 10 months. And on zero meds. I still don't drink soda anymore water instead or apple cider or natural juices only. I started eating salmon and cut back on the beef quite a bit. I'll eat a steak occationally now though. Bookmark of save the info as you may want to go over it again. The best part is now I like the taste of fruit and vegetables more, my tastes have changed so much that apples and other fruits are very sweet. The best thing is I'm pain free. Good luck my friend, here's wishing the best for you!

• Posted

There is a lot of good general diet info there, but me, personally, I dont buy this whole body acid v alkaline thing.  You just can not affect your blood PH with what you eat - your stomach is a fierce hydrochloric acid bath for starters!.  Its a medical absurdity to think "alkaline food" will change this PH in any significant way - but very many peddle the notion that you can (for less genuine reasons than this poster).  

Do have a go at  'home remedy' with £5 of celery seed as I know it works as a 100% proven fact for me - I would be on Allopurinol or similar otherwise as an absolute fact.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.