My Sertraline Story!!

Posted , 182 users are following.

Hi im a 32 year old female. Im married with 2 children. About 12 weeks ago I started to get awfulanxiety, I was stressing about the least little thing and turning small things into massive over the top things. I started doing breathing exercises and taking herbal remedies, reading books and going onto websites. Nothing seemed to work and about 6 weeks ago I couldn't take the way I felt anymore and felt like I wasn't coping with normal everyday situations like the school run and seeing my friends and even watching a film with my husband. I have never suffered with anything like this before and that in itself is very scary, I felt out of control with my thoughts, I wasn't sleeping or eating.

I went to see my GP who prescribed me 50mg of Sertraline, I was also given 10 days worth of diazepam (2mg). After a few days of deciding if I should take them I went for it, I had the most awful side affects, sickness, diarrhea, headaches, night sweats, shakes. I couldn't even get out of bed for a couple of days. I was having panic attacks and Insomnia.

After a week or so the side affects eased off and I was able to cope again although I was still left with the awful anxiety. After 2 weeks I started to feel 50% better and then into week 3,4,5 I seemed to go downhill with my anxiety again but I stuck with the Sertraline as the doc said it could take 6-8 weeks to see the benefit.

The last few days I've started to feel 90% my old self again. I think this drug seems to take a while to work but i'm glad I've stuck with it as I feel like i'm getting my old life back again. I really hope this is a helpful and positive story if you are just starting out on Sertraline, I know I have a long way to go but I feel with the help of this med I can get my life back on track.

Reading all the positive stories on this forum has helped me a great deal. Im also lucky to have great family and friends I can talk to.

52 likes, 461 replies

461 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Thank you for your story. What really me was the anxiety side effect that one gets in the initial stages of taking Sertraline. My Doc started me on 50mg then increased it to 100 after 3 days and then increased it again to 150mg. So my anxiety went through the roof, and he put me on a tranquilizer until the Sertraline kicks in, Yes its a scary drug, but I never want to go back to the place where I came from, hope fully Sertraline wll get me back on track and to start enjoying life. Just hang in there and dont stop.
    • Posted

Hi Ron going through the same at moment can u remember wen sertraline was at the best in giving u relief at last it's hard for me at moment x

• Edited

The anxiety is awful and I can see why people could give up after a few weeks it's hell but now I've seen a glimmer of light at the end of the tunnel I'm going to carry on. Good luck in your journey and I hope you get back to your old self soon😉
    • Posted

Hi Dani, Hi all. I know this thread is a year old but I'm just desperate for advice. I started setraline 4 weeks 3 days ago and I feel awful still. The anxiety stomatch complaints weight gain the lack of energy all I do is sleep and want to do nothing I feel so depressed. It's coming to the point I want to try to come off setraline but then I worry I haven't given it enough time and I could be just as bad off as I have bad anxiety and depression and scared to be on nothing. I can't move forward though all I do is obsessing about these side effects and what I should do. Things just feel hopeless.

• Posted

Hi emma , I feel you so much I started sertraline a year ago and I'm still on it 100mg , don't worry it took me 6 to 8 weeks for the med to fully kick in .

You will start feeling good moments flashes in your day more and more . My advice to you is start thinking about other things in life do something you used to enjoy even if you don't have the feeling to do it just do it trust me I know it's hard an awful , try to think that the med will work and it will take time .

I have bad days and good days till now. It good days are more . Have faith and believe that it's ok every thing will be fine .

If you can't handle it ask your doc to give you something to make you cope until the med kicks in .

All the best to you . You are not alone . 🙂

• Posted

Hi Emma.

I have been on 50mg of Sertraline for about 3 and a half weeks now...I totally understand where you are at. I am constantly tired and still feel anxious most of the time. I feel as though I still think about how crappy I'm feeling all day. I know its hard but when I feel like its all too much I come on here and read everyones stories. Its just a slow process, don't give up.

I also find listening to podcasts really helpful, I listen to them while driving, walking or just around the house.

Feel free to message/comment whenever you need! smile

• Posted

Hi charley46288, how you getting on? Has the sertaline settled down now?

I've been on 25mg for 6days and upped to 50mg today.

Last night was the worse, couldn't sleep, sweating, anxious horrible thoughts just hoping it will calm down soon xx

• Posted

Hi Michelle ?

I'm getting on alot better than the first week...that first week for me was literally hell. I was exactly the same as you, night sweats, panic attacks in the night, horrible thoughts during the day. It's still tough but so much better than that first week.

Trust me it will get better!!

How are you feeling? Did your doctor prescribe some Valium or anything? I found that reassuring to have on hand if I needed it. Do you have any other sude effects that are worrying you?

Feel free to message me at any time! Xx

• Posted

Thank you Charley for getting back to me. Felt rubbish today, although I feel abit better now after having a bath so I'm hoping I'll sleep better tonight. No not got anything from Drs, I did ask you first but said I don't know what my side effects will be so take them first. I'm seeing her Friday, so will ask her will be on them nearly 2weeks then I just hope it calms down abit. Not really, just dry mouth, headaches, fuzzy ears, feeling sick, it's just the heightened anxiety that's the worst as that's bad anyway without the effect of the meds. Thank you I will do if that's ok? I'm glad your getting on well now. How long have you been on them now? Xx

• Posted

Nawh poor thing, the side effects do make you question if you should stick it out, but I promise it will get better. I found it SO hard to eat anything the first week, I was SO anxious and I felt fuzzy and had the dry mouth too. Bath hopefully will help a bit, put the TV on, even if only to distract you for minutes at a time.

I have been taking 50mgs for 4 weeks...almost 30 days. I'm feeling ok and the worst of the side effects are gone but trust me, I still get anxious and I find myself still thinking about how I dont feel normal.

After reading these stories though, I know it just takes time. I'm always here for you though if you need to just vent! Xx

• Posted

Thanks for getting back to me. The bath did help last night and I had a glass of warm milk. Woke up feeling sick and anxious. Hopefully will sleep ok tonight too.

How are you getting on? It's good to actually talk to people that know exactly what we're going through and that not alone, it's a horrible illness xx

• Posted

It's such a horrible illness, isn't it. Makes you feel really alone.

So glad you had a better night, sleep can make all the difference. I woke up anxious this morning too.... 😣 I just want to be better already.

I'm from Australia too...so if I take a while to reply it's just because of the time difference.

• Posted

Your right it is horrible. Just hope we all get better soon.

What dose are you on now? How's your side effects apart from the anxiety? You able to eat much? I've lost 1.5st since September not really hungry.

Oh are you, that's fine. Can message if you like? Xx

• Posted

Emma interested in how you are now?

I'm only on day 15 & so far feel zero improvement. My depression is extreme.

Did you keep going with it & do you feel better?

• Posted

Hi Michelle, I am new to all this but notice you and Charley talking about bad side effects. I have been battling terrible anxiety 2.5 months now following 4 visits to ER with fast heart. I was given a beta blocker (metoprolol) and zoloft which I have not taKen as of yet and afraid too. I was hoping I would read about how it made everything better but not seeing that. My anziety is so bad already if my phone buzzes whIle in my hand it makes me cry. Any encouragement you or anyone can offer me would be appreciated. I'm really hoping for a happy ending to this nightmare as we all are

• Posted

Hi smile

How are you feeling? I read lots before taking Sertraline (Zoloft) too, I was so scared to take it because I had read/been told by the pharmacist that it can make the anxiety worse before making it better. It did for the first week but slowly after that I started to find I would feel a little better. Don't get me wrong...I still have moments of anxiety but I feel as though I am getting better...I'm still only on a small dose (50mg)

It's a tough decision but I just had to give it a go...I couldn't keep going the way I was.

Hopefully this helps a little... smile

Let me know how you go if you decide to take it!

• Posted

Hi Phyllis, sorry you have feeling so bad. It's a horrible illness but you are not alone. I'm been on sertaline for 23days now. 6days 25mg and 18days 50mg, my dr wants to up me to 100mg tomorrow. I'm not going to lie but my dr told me it will get worse before it gets better and it certainly does but you have to take every day as it comes. I've had a few 'ok' days and a feel not so good days but it's still early days. The med is a slow acting drug so can take up to 6-8weeks to feel the full benefit but some are sooner than that it depends on you and your body. Side effects can where off between 1-3weeks and then it's having the right dose for you, everyone is different. It's upto you if you try it or not but if you do and do feel bad, (you could be a lucky one and be ok) then you have to see it through don't just stop the medication thinking it's not working. I was on sertaline a few years ago for anxiety and panic attacks and it helped me so much made me feel 'normal' and I came off them and I was happy. Unfortunately due to personal circumstances anxiety returned bringing with it depression so I'm hoping it will do the trick again. Like I said it can be hard going but you must stay strong. This forum has been a life saver for me and made some friends. It's very supportive, your not alone. Let me know what you decide to do and if you want to chat I'm here xx

• Posted

Hi michelle

Have just started reading this forum and it has really helped.

I started taking sertraline 12 days ago for anixety, the first 5 days I could'nt leave the house, drive or see anyone, I felt completely off my head, horrible. I then started to feel better for  couple of days and at least made it our the house but then this weekend ny anixety has got worse. I did take a diazipam yesterday which helped. Im sleeping ok, but still tired everyday, Also had fluttering in my chest this weeekend but probaly because of the anixeity, I know it well. I know form reading I have a long way to go and I have a few friends on this but every experience is not the same. Just wondering why people up the dose and should this be something I should be considering as my anixety has got worse again or is this just an up and down game for a while and stick to the 50mg?

Feel fairly flat and just want my life back again, my husband is supportive but I dont think anyone can truly understand this until they have been through it, he's probably completely fed up with it! I have 2 children and 2 step children aged 11/14 and dont want them knowing any of this.

Any advise would be welcomed x

• Posted

Hey Tasha.

I've so far been on 50mgs for almost 8 weeks. I am hoping I'll get my dose increased tomorrow when I see the doctor but I'm not 100% what upping the dose will do.

I know at the beginning when I started Sertraline everything got 10 times worse...my anxiety, my repetitive thoughts, the doom and gloom...I was also not hungry at all.

Just try to stick with it and take the diazepam as needed. I would just wait and see what the doctor suggests about you upping the dose...they will tell you what they think is best! smile

• Posted

Hi Tasha, sorry your not feeling good. It's a horrible illness and no one truly understands unless they have been through it themselves. I'm now on day 36day, 6days on 25mg, 19days on 50mg, 6days 75mg and 5days on 100mg. My dr wanted me to start at 50mg for a week then up it to 100mg but I was too scared as split the tablets in half and gradually worked my way up. It's not been easy and week 1-2 was the worst! Heightened anxiety, insomnia, loss of appetite, nausea, dry mouth to name a few but they have eased off. When I upped to 75mg I had a few 'good' days but since upping to 100mg I feel abit low, very tired and sad but then it's only been 5days and it's supposed to take another 2+weeks to get into your system on the high dose. Yes basically you up or decrease your dose depending how you feel, everyone is different and you still have to wait to see if it helps. When do you see your dr again? You may just need an increase in dose, the side effects are not as bad as when you first start but you may get some again but not as strong. I have 2 children too. 10&5 so it's been difficult trying to function. I know what you mean tho, I'm constantly thinking will I never get better will I be stuck like this, I feel miserable. I just want to feel good again but I know it takes time, hang in there you will get better days xxx

• Edited

Hi Charley,

Just wondering what kind of podcasts you listened to? I'm starting week 5 of sertraline and still have terrible anxiety. I can't seem to listen, read or enjoy anything. I'm praying in the next few weeks it begins to help, as it has worked for me before-just always takes weeks to work. Thanks for any help!

• Posted

Hi Michelle,

It's so horrible to have with kids, isn't it? I have three children (15,12,9) and I would not wish this on my worst enemy. It's so hard on all of us. They keep asking "what's wrong Mom?". It's so hard. I understand the pain you are going through right now.

• Posted

Hi Julie.

I love listening to true crime podcasts (Casefile and Sword and Scale) and my favourite radio show (Kate, Time and Marty) just nice to have on in the background, I dont listen to every detail but does help distract me for short bursts of time. How are you feeling? What dose are you on?

Try to go for a walk around the block and listen to either podcasts or music. It will kick in soon. I am getting much better but do still feel a little glum and anxious at times. I just have a camomile tea and breathe. If you need to chat just msg me smile

• Posted

Hi Julie, I'm sorry you are suffering too. What dose are you on? Yes it's hard with children in the mix too. I'm on my own too so it can be a struggle but my mum and dad do help out. Do you have support around you? Xxx

• Posted

Hi tashal

just wondered how you are feeling now? Did you stay on 50 or up it?  I am in the same boat as you, I have been on 50 for 15 days, the second week I felt a lot better , now the anxiety has come back and my mood has dipped, my intuition. Says up the dose to 100 or is it too early , I was previously on 150mg of venlaxifine for 8 weeks and cross tapered with the setraline so I have had something in my system for some time xx

• Posted

sorry tasha ! Bloody spell check 
    • Posted

Hi charley when did your bad thoughts go? Ive been on 50mg for 5 days and have to up it to 100mg on day 7 and these thoughts keep

Popping into my head like ill never get better etc, when do they start to go?

• Posted

Hey Kayleigh.

After a few weeks they start to get less and less. I had those thoughts too. Sometimes I still get them but only fleetingly. I started on 100mgs about 2 weeks ago now. I still have a way to go but am much better than a few months ago. Hope you're doing ok smile

• Posted

I hope so, have a couple very rouch patches in the day where i think im better off not here but i love my life and my children so im guessig its a sode effect and will speak to my doctor tomorrow.

In a couple of hours i can go from feeling a little ok to completely down and out of it hope it passes soon tomorrow day 6 on 50mg i have to up to 100mg on wednesday

• Posted

Honestly it took me weeks to start feeling even half normal. Try to stick it out, I promise it will get better. Sadly, its just a slow process
    • Posted

Hi Charley,

While increasing your Zoloft did your anxiety or insomnia also increase? I am currently taking 50 mg Zoloft, 15 mg of Buspar and 15 mg of Remeron for sleep. I'm thinking I may need to increase the Zoloft as I still feel so anxious throughout the day... at times needing Ativan. I've been taking the Zoloft for almost 2 months now. I definitely am more functional but it's still interfering so much!! Would love to hear your opinion!

• Posted

Hi there.

I personally did not find my anxiety or insomnia increased when I moved up from 50mgs to 100mgs. I was on 50mgs for about 2 months as well. And like you, after 2 weeks I found I was coping...coping enough to work etc. I definitely was not 100% though... I still woke up feeling really anxious and had to keep busy otherwise my thoughts would go back to my anxiety. I did take Valium (Diazepam) at night to ensure I got a good sleep but otherwise I only took the Valium if I was really anxious. I have found since upping to 100mgs I have been able to go longer periods of time without the repetitive thoughts but I do still think of my anxiety daily....but I'm not anxious or 'doom and gloom' anymore though. I was SO SO worried when I upped my dose it would be as bad as when I first started, but I didn't notice any bad side effects. Let me know how you go? Xx

• Posted

Hi emma. Sertraline does not suit everyone. I was on 50mg for 2 m9nths following a nervous breakdown and diagnosis of clinical depression. I had counselling which was really helpful and thought i was getting bettrr but had relapse into depression again, suicidal thoughts frequent crying. Affecting husband and teenage kids (i am 55).I was presctibed sertraline last year but didnt take them but was persuaded to take them by my gp after my relapse. They stabalised my mood but i felt as if i was wrapped in cotton wool. Sort of unreal feeling but my mood definately improved. However, i then developed the most appalling diahorrea. This went on for 2 weeks and got worse and worse. I lost my appetite and felt dreadful. Went back to gp who told me to stop taking them immediately. This was 2 weeks ago. He said as i was only on 50mg and had only been on them for 2 months i should not suffer any sort of withdrawal symptoms. What rubbish! I have sensations of buzzing in my head, i still have diarrohea, i also have flu like symptoms and feel ill all the time. I wish i had never taken them and i would never ever take ADs again. Am going back to counselling, drinking peppermint t for my gut, and walking 5 miles a day which helps a little with symptoms. Just be careful and bear in mind withdrawal symptoms. Always come off them slowly and always insist on seeing a gp who specialises in mental health if u can. My last appointment was with locum gp who should never have advised me to stop them without weaning off slowly. Good luck!
    • Posted

Well I was on 25mg for 4 weeks then 50mg for 5 weeks as 25mg was not working so doctor upped it to 50mg work for 3 weeks then anxiety came back and anixtiey thoughts of doom and depression came Back I had less anixtiey on 50mg but not better still alot of depression so doctor up it to 100mg Been on it for 4 days felt ok on it day 4 feel high anixtiey hart racing abit and more anixtiey thoughts panic attacks going made sad scred feeling don't no weather to go back to 50mg only been on 100mg for 4 days already scred of dose increase any views on this or help anyone would be most greatfull😊

• Posted

Hey charley

Did u have up and down days? Been on it 19 days was on 50mg for 7 days and now 100mg and been pretty ok for few days but today got up and my anxiety has heightened and shakes are back, i was put on it for anxiety just wondered if u had the same? And when did it start to get better for you

• Posted

Hi I'm new to this forum and would really appreciate some words of support and hope. I'm on day 23 of Sertraline, two weeks at 50 mg and just over a week at 100mg. I have terrible anxiety and panic and I'm virtually housebound at the moment. I'm seeing some little glimmers of hope on this medication but I'm getting impatient. The side effects have been horrible but if it does work it will be worth it. Is there still a chance it will work for my panic? Please can any of you send me some hope. Thank you, Sarah

• Posted

Hi charley can i ask how you are doing on it now? On my first week and its awful. Need encouragement!
    • Posted

Hi Sarah.

Its a long, long road but it WILL get better!! It's so tough to see a light at the end of the tunnel right now but you will. I remember thinking ot wasn't going to work after a few weeks/months but it just takes time. That's the most annoying part, waiting. Just be patient.

Do whatever you need to do to feel most okay...whatever helps you cope right now.

Lots of hugs xx

• Posted

Hi Tessa.

I know for me, the first week/2 weeks were hardest. All my symptoms got much worse (which I was advised could happen) I had no appetite what so ever and my thoughts were everywhere.

Try to stick it out, I know it will get better for you. It takes a while but its worth it. I have come suuuuch a long way.

Hope everything goes okay, keep reading these stories, they help.

Xx

• Posted

Hi Charley

Thank you so much for your comforting reply.

I will try to be patient. I have a counselling appointment today ( my first), I am scared to death to go. My anxiety centres around being away from home. I know I must go I think the counselling and the medication together are the way forward.

Can I ask you, when did you first notice that the sertraline was helping with the panic? I'm now at 31 days and generally feel calmer but panic very much still there.

Sarah xx

• Posted

Thank you. I had to ring in sick to work today as i got a full blown panic attack last night while driving. It was so scary. Havent had one as bad in years. Going back to doctor again for advice..
    • Posted

Hey Tessa!

So sorry to hear abour your panic attack...trust me, I know how scary they are. I can completely relate to the not being able to go to work feeling too. I don't know how I did it.

Do you have Valium or anything to help calm you?

Hope you're okay. Just remember you aren't alone!!

Do you have friends and family helping you?

Xxx

• Posted

Hi Sarah,

Giw did your counseling session go?

Although my anxiety didn't necessarily just center around being away from home (I had more generalised anxiety) being away from home or somewhere I felt safe made it so so much worse. Hope you're doing alright.

All I can say is you definitely are not alone, I felt SO alone when I was at my worst. Even if I had friends or family around, I felt so disconnected.

Panic for me came and went...it wouldn't just appear when I was stressed or somewhere I wasn't comfortable...It could literally pop up at any time for no reason at all. In fact even now I still panic a little (nowhere near as bad or debilitating and it is fleeting) but I would say after 2 months. Thats when it got to the point I could calm myself and let it go after a few mins.

Hope you're doing ok.

Xxx

• Posted

Hi charley. I went back to the doctor the next day and he perscribed zanax to get me over the worst of the serlan. Its helping but im still a bit anxious. I took a week from work as it is a highly sressful and no doubt led me here...

Im not sure how long the effects of serlan will take to make things a bit easier but im hoping soon. Thank god i have a great partner and family...

• Posted

Hi Sarah

That sounds so much like me. Being away from home and going anywhere where that I can't easily get away from people if I panic. A weekend away with friends was far too much to consider. It is getting better though, I am gradually getting my life back due to a combination of meds and counselling.

You will too.

Sarah

• Posted

Hi Charley sorry for my delayed response, thank you for yours.

Counselling was very useful, she's recommended a CBT approach. So I've written a "hierarchy of fear" of things I need to tackle.

I'm pleased to say that after 6 weeks of the med ( 4 weeks at the increased dose) I am making progress. I feel much calmer and I have already tackled some of my hierarchy. I could not have done so in April, I was virtually housebound. I stlll however have some daily panic.

Yesterday I went to my gp who is great. He considered increasing my dose to try and rid the remaining panic but I persuaded him not to. My side effects were almost worse than the anxiety when I started the med and on increase to 100, in particular nausea and bearing in mind that is my top fear ( being sick in public) that was not good.

So I'm hoping that there may be even more benefit to come from the sertraline after a few more weeks. From what you say it took a couple of months so maybe in a couple of weeks I will feel even better.

Thank you for your support x

• Posted

Hi Sarah thank you for your supportive message and I'm sorry for my delayed response. Please can you tell me how long it took before your anxiety/panic had disappeared to a manageable level? I'm on week 6, week 4 of increased 100 dose. I started to feel better about a week ago but the panic is still there to a lesser extent.

X

• Posted

Hi I'm much in the same situation as you. Have been on them now for 6 weeks, started on 50 and then been on 100 for maybe 2 weeks. Starting to feel so much better. The anxiety still hasn't gone, but it's so much more manageable now. Been off work for 6 weeks in total.

Interested to know how long it takes for the anxiety to be manageable. I found the biggest issue with sertaline was the side effects that I think made me more anxious...

• Posted

Hi Bobby interesting to hear that you are in a similar stage to me. I too found that my anxiety increased for the first couple of weeks of taking Sertraline and again when I increased the dose. I questioned whether I had done the right thing in taking them. But now I'm definitely on the up. My GP seems to think there will be no further improvement anxiety wise due to medication alone, yet comments on here seem to suggest that there may well be further improvements after 8 weeks even. I hope that's true, I don't want to increase the dose again and have further side effects.

I'm having CBT/counselling as well.

I too have been off work for about 6 weeks. Are you managing to get out and about and do much?

Sarah

• Posted

I wasn't for quite a while, but find that if I can it really helps. Have to go through the anxiety to do it, at times, but really helps.

Gym is a really good one.

• Posted

Well done for going to the gym, I know how difficult it must be. That's my next step to get back to gym classes.

Let's hope we both have further improvements in the coming weeks. You hopefully still have improvements to come from the 100 dose.

• Posted

Fingers crossed. The worst feeling in the world, luckily I have had a lot of very supportive people around me. Keep us posted on progress....nice to know their are others with same experiences. I know when it first started I did not believe that I would ever get better, but finally seeing some improvement last few days...
    • Edited

Can I ask what the hierarchy of fear is? I'm still waiting for my CBT

• Posted

The hierarchy of fear is a list/ladder of situations or experiences that you fear, from lowest to highest. The idea is that you then try each one in turn and do it and keep doing it until it feels comfortable. It's part of the CBT process. So for me I was virtually housebound and the lowest one was to go to a friend's house for coffee and the highest at the moment anyway is to go away for a weekend.

• Posted

Ah yeah I see. I've been trying to conquer my fears. Getting out was tough enough to start

• Posted

Hey Michelle!

I know your post was 5 months ago but I was hoping you could help me.

I just started 25mm sertaline for 4 days then I up it to 50mm but I just took it Friday night and Saturday night.

Saturday afternoon I felt a little queasy nothing major but didn't feel like eating all day. It's now Sunday morning at 6:41am and I've been awake since 4:30am having anxious thoughts and can't get back to sleep. Been feeling nauseous on and off too. Just wanting to know if it's the side effects the morning after starting the pill is normal or if it was something else.

• Posted

Did you have any side effects in the first couple of days of 25mm? I just started and haven't felt like eating at all and feeling a little nauseous not a lot though and I didn't sleep at all the 2nd night of being on on.

• Posted

Listen guys I was on em for 6 weeks and felt bloody awful. Side effects where horrible kept wanting to stop em. Back and Forth the doctors then all of a sudden started to feel better. Feel brilliant at minute, back at work, going the gym and got my life back. Trust me it's tough but ya will get through. Just keep in regular touch with your doctor

• Posted

Hi Bobby

good to hear you are feeling so good and back at work.

can I ask you when did you start to feel 'brilliant'? I'm on week 7 of increased (100) dose and definitely feel "on the up" and calmer but not fully well by any means. So I would be interested to hear how things went for you. The doctor offered me a further increased dose last week but I declined it because I felt so nauseas when I started on it and when I increased dose and I don't want to feel like that again, it would stop me from going out which would be a setback. 

• Posted

Do you remember if you had any symptoms in he first 2 days and if so what were they?
    • Posted

Hi Kaylee 

I felt nauseas ( very strong times) and lack of appetite almost straight away and those symptoms continued for about 5 weeks. For about 4 days I could hardly sleep and was awake most of the night. The worst thing was the increase in anxiety which really spiked after about a week and I nearly gave up on the Sertraline but I' m so glad I continued because at about 5 weeks I started to see light at the end of the tunnel.

Sarah 

• Posted

My pleasure Kaylee. Honestly in April I was virtually housebound because of anxiety and now I go out every day. I'm not saying I'm panic free yet but so much more relaxed. I bumped into a mental health nurse I know this week and he said that in his experience the patients who had side effects tended to find it did eventually work for them, obviously as long as you can put up with them. My advice would be to do whatever you need to do to make life easy for yourself whilst your body gets used to the Sertraline. Be kind to yourself.

Sarah

• Posted

Not sure if you'll get this but this is similar to me In the they didn't agree with me so I slowly came off them myself finally had last dose Friday but today am feeling dizzy and sick it's horrible and hot flushes does this last long my doctor kept telling me it's my anxiety and upping the tablets when they made me horrifically worse also gave me earache jaw pain and diariah also a really wish a never caved and took these horrible pills sad

• Posted

Hey, Sarah! Thanks for your concern. Yesterday I felt perfectly normal after taking some pepto first thing in the morning. Today, I've had a lottle bit of an upset stomach (didn't take any pepto today). This is a weird, gross thing to say, but I figure it might help someone who sees this and has the same thing going on - this morning I had black tar looking diarrhea so I called the doctor and they said taking Zoloft and pepto may cause that to happen. Other than that I've been great! Thanks again for checking in.

Kaylee

• Posted

Also, I start 50mg tonight so I expect my side effects to start kicking in again. Still a little trouble sleeping as well.
    • Posted

Hi Kaylee I think it's really common to have stomach troubles with this tablet, I know I did, I lost a stone in weight and I'm already slim. I think you're right, you may well have to expect some side effects from the increased dose, but hopefully it will be worth it when the positive effects kick in. On the sleep front hopefully within a week or so you will be sleeping better. From week 2 of increased dose I started sleeping normally and from week 5 I was waking up feeling as calm as anything , compared to waking up as a nervous wreck.

So keep going, you sound very positive.

Sarah

• Posted

Hi heather did u quit this devil drug? How r u feeling ? I am dizzy and hot flush in the face and no motivation  its been 4 weeks for me I also have dilated pupils hmmm
    • Posted

Yes I quit am off it 4 weeks to just get the odd dizzy spell now but was horrible in the beginning hope you feel better
    • Posted

Hi Charey, 

I know this is an old thread but I hope you reply. I just started on zoloft for 5 days, 50 mg. I had a terrible insomnia so the doctor finally prescribed me Zolpidem for sleeping. But i still feel anxious throughout the day, as soon as i wake up actually. I also have a little tremor. All i could think about is "what if i have that serotonin toxicity?". I almost quit it after day 3. My question is how are you feeling now after taking it for such a long time? And how long should I expect the side effects to be with me. Also how do i know when should I up my dosage. 

I felt most comfortable replying to you because i am also from Australia.

Thanks 

Robin

• Posted

Hi was just wondering how you are now??? Im 4 weeks in and so scared im never going to feel normal again
    • Posted

Hi Charley, 

I wanted to reach out to see how it's been going with you and Zoloft. I have been on it for 2.5 weeks and at the moment feel like I'm going through absolute hell. The anxiety and panic I feel are constant. I am just hoping that it starts to work soon. When did you start to feel that it worked for you? 

I so appreciate your thoughts.. best Joseph 

• Posted

Hi Pamela yes absolutely! It took a long time, nearly twelve weeks I reckon before my anxiety was under control most of the time anyway. I was virtually housebound in April with agoraphobia but I am now back at work, going to the gym, eating out etc I must also recommend CBT and mindfulness - I wish I had learnt some of the techniques sooner. How about you, how are you? X 
    • Posted

Thanks Sarah for replying, I'm not good, been on sertraline for 5 weeks, 1 week on 50mg 4 weeks on 100mg then 150mg for 9 days. I'm just hoping they are going to work for me. I'm glad they have worked for you x😊

• Posted

From my experience and from discussing it with my doctor and other Sertraline takers, it’s one of the slower acting medications- it’s so hard I know just try and have faith that it will work for you. I’m sending you lots of positive vibes from England Pamela 😀x

• Posted

No wonder we both need Sertraline! 😂 some sunshine would do us both good. Please let me know how you feel in a couple of weeks xx

• Posted

Hi Robin

I am so sorry for not replying. I know when I first started on Sertraline I basically lived on this forum, waiting for people to reply. How are you doing with it all now? How is the insomnia? Im the beginning I had lots of trouble sleeping too. And I would wake up at like 4am and my anxiety would be there waiting and I couldn't get back to sleep. It's horrible.

I had a horrible time in the first 2 weeks, but after about 8 weeks started feeling a little less anxious and gloomy. I am on 100mgs and have been for about 10 months now...I still think about my anxiety but I can get on with things now. I definitely have my bad days where I worry or get a little anxious (especially if I am out of my comfort zone) but I am doing much better.

In regards to dosage/serotonin toxicity (I worried about that too) just keep in check with your doctor, they will monitor and ensure you aren't taking too much.

Would love to hear back from yousmile

Xx

• Posted

Make sure you give it a real go!! It takes a longer time but you will get there!!
    • Posted

Joseph!!

How are you doing now??

I have been on 100mgs for about 10 months now, am doing much better. Just takes time, which is hard I know.

• Posted

Hi,

I know this was a post from ages ago but I'm wondering how you are going now??

Reading through this has been really inspiring for me - I tried Zoloft and lasted six days because it was too much. 

I'm about to try again, this time determined to stick it out longer!

Hope you are doing well!

• Posted

I can honestly say that the first 6 weeks where really tough. But all of a sudden it changed and I was me again. Leading a normal life, nailed down a new job, going out socialising, having a drink and a laugh with mates and have all my confidence back. Buzzing
    • Edited

Nicole.

I can promise you...it does get better. My anxiety got so much worse initially when I started taking Sertraline.

I had no appetite which made my anxiety worse. I had nights where I would wake up having a panic attack and couldn't get back to sleep. My head was a mess. I wanted to give up.

If you can, try to stick it out. After the first 2 weeks it gets easier, still slowly but it improves.

• Posted

Thank you so much,

Your words are so encouraging!

You have inspired hope and determination in me!

I'm so glad that you posted and stay in touch, hopefully soon I'll be able to post my ultimately positive and encouraging experience too!

Thanks again!

• Posted

Thank you for your words of hope and encouragement!

Six weeks seems such a long time - but if it results in my life back then the sacrifice seems worth it!! Short term pain for long term gain!!

I had heard and read so much negative so I really appreciate you posting your experience!

You give me hope that I will get my life back, thank you!

• Posted

Hi Charley,

I just finished week 4, having same side effects you mentioned.  My Dr had me on 50 week 1, 100 week 2, 150 week 3.  On week 3 I started the terrible side effects and went back to 100 for this 4th week.  I thought I was doing better, then today the depression came back.  It’s up and down, I’m hoping it works.  I’m taking it for depression, but it seems to cause terrible anxiety.  Trying to hang in there.

• Posted

Hi Nicole,

I’m just starting it too for depression.  I’m on week 4.  Week 3 was a nightmare with side effects.  I’m up to 100mg.  I thought I was feeling better and then the bad depression came back.  It also seems to cause major anxiety, low appetite, some upset stomach, some nausea.  Very hard.  How are you doing on it?

Stacey

• Posted

I havent passed 100mgs...I have just stayed on that. I don't know if I need to up my dose or not.

I didn't have depression I don't think. Just general anxiety...and Sertraline made it worse to begin with ....so I am assuming it will do the same to you. You will get through this.

I literally didn't know how I could live minute to minute before taking this...I was in hell.

Xxx

• Posted

Thank you for encouragement.  I think after 4 weeks I am starting to feel better.
    • Posted

Hi Charley,

I’ve been on Sertraline for four weeks now. I am also on Buspar and Xanax as needed. I can feel the depression lifted, but I still get panic attacks. I was diagnosed with GAD, Major Depressive Disorder, panic disorder, and PTSD. I am hoping to feel better once I have to go back to internship in early January. It’s been awful. I’ve been on antidepressants on and off for 18 years now. The problem with me is once I start feeling better I tend to skip my meds then eventually not take them and end up in this mess again.

• Posted

Hi Sarah, was it 12 weeks from starting sertraline that you felt much better? I've been on it now for 9-10 weeks and 5 weeks at 100mg. My Doc offered an increase a couple of weeks ago, but thought I needed to give 100mg more time. I thought it would have had a bigger effect on my anxiety by now, but maybe I'm expecting too much. Thanks.

• Posted

Hi Martyn,

I was on 100, this is week 6, and anxiety got so bad I had to stop taking it yesterday.  If it isn’t giving you terrible anxiety or other side effects, you probably could go up, but I would check with your Dr first.

• Posted

Hi Martyn

It’s amazing how quickly you forget the details of how long it took to start to feel better when at the time it was all I could think about. I suppose it took me about 6 weeks after upping my dose to 100 to start feeling the benefit of the Sertraline and probably another 4-6 on top of that to feel really good. But I was also having quite intense CBT style counselling which was a life saver. I can’t stress enough what a massive help that was and continues to be. Have you considered it yourself? Sending you my very best wishes. If it helps, in April this year I couldn’t go out of the house because of panic and anxiety and now I have my life back. Sarah 

• Posted

Hi Sarah, thanks for your response. Some days I think I'm getting better, other days u think I need to increase the dose. I'm going to give 100mg another few weeks. If I still think it's not having the desired effect, then I will increase the dosage. I'm also doing some mindfulness have some knowledge of CBT.

• Posted

Hi Stacey, Sorry to hear that. Maybe another AD will help such as Lexapro?
    • Posted

Hi charley, how are you now? Its been a year. Are u still on sertraline? Does it work for u? Im on day 8 50mg. Im taking it every morning. Side effects are no appetite, cant sleep in the morning even i am sleepy, and always feeling down... i feel anxious thinking of will i will be still normal even without this medicine or i will stuck on this for a lifetime. Please respond.
    • Posted

Hi Pamela

I'm from England please keep me updated on your progress, I'm 6 days in on 50mg & feel like giving up already 😷😢

• Posted

Hi Susan 

I hope you don’t mind me replying but I wanted to send you some hope, by the way I am from England too!

At first I think that the Sertraline as with most AD tablets seems to heighten whatever your difficulty is be it depression or anxiety, the latter in my case. Also I felt very nauseas, I lost a stone in a month and I’m already a skinny Minnie! But having stuck with it and with the help of CBT/ counselling by about 8 weeks I started to feel good and now (1 year on) I feel better than ever.

So my advice is try and stick it out if you can, be kind to yourself and do whatever you need to do to look after yourself. Please consider CBT it’s amazing. 

Sending you very best wishes and hope you start to feel more like yourself soon.

Sarah x

• Posted

Hi Sarah, i know this is an old post but i need to ask you advice .

i used to take 100 mg for 2 yrs then i weaned myself off and i was feeling great but after stopping for 2 months i had the same symptoms of anxiety back and now my doc increased my dose to 150 mg i'm 2 weeks in and i still feel anxious also i get scared feelings from the anxiety .

have no excitment or motivation although i do the stuff but with no enjoying . any advice plz .

• Posted

I know this is a few years old but I'm on sertline 100 mg a 2nd time for 32 days now and I have a trip coming up in a few days. My anxiety is worse then ever. I have never been this way before its so bad it feels like a heartattack any advice please help! thanks

• Edited

the only advise i can give is to remember this is normal. evertone has been through this before you and they have come out the other end and so will you xx

distraction is the best thing as waiting day by day for the meds to kick in is only half the cure. finding techniques that help you to manage and cope is best too.

i found that have another responsible adult around really helped cos tha instantly took all pressure off me to have to think, function and be an adult tbh. that meant i could focus on trying to recover and relax. you need to be able to take the pressure off you xxx

remeber you have already come so far and make sure you keep visiting your dr xxx

• Posted

ive been on these meds now 3 times and im bot comibg off them this time.

the first 2 times the dr recommended that i came off them after a long period of time but each time i went back on them they took longer to take effect.

just remember they worked before and they will again. im def not coming off these this time. even though im atbthe stage that i occassiknally forget to take them.

dont let the demon beat you x the fact that you are still engaging and doing things is amazing and the enjoyment will come back. you just need time to heal and recover xx

• Posted

Toward the end of week 7 I had a week of good days. on 25mg so my doc upped my dose to 50mg. Now 2 days in and the side effects (mainly anxiety, brain fog, low mood) are back. Am I back to week 1 again all over again or should these side effects go away soon due to the fact that I've been on zoloft for a total of almost 9 weeks now? Any reassurance would be greatly appreciated.

• Posted

thanks for your reply , im now 7 months on 150 and i felt great since week 12 . but a couple of days now im feeling anxious and same feelings as before . what do you think this is , im afraid the med stopped working or i need to up to 200 ? its so annoying to go backwards after months of being great. any advice ?

• Posted

depends on why your anxious, is it just normal everyday stresses that are getting on top of you?

or do you feel like you did before?

these meds are amazing but life stresses still occur and the meds cant stop them. i get really really hormonal(like off the chart hormonal) but i know thats thats just part and parcel of me and thank god im not like that all the time.

but i often find if you are worried its def worth talking to you DR, they know you best and will advice xx and if you do need to increase them. thats not do bad is it?? its just 1 tablet xxx

• Posted

I dont really have any advice about the change in your dose but i have heard that you do go through the start up side effects all over again when you up your dose. My mom is on ads but she doesnt suffer with perimenopause hell she just likes that they help her depression. But i have asked you awhile back when you first started the meds if they were working to help with the perimenopause nausea and exhaustion, since you have been on them for 9 weeks are they helping enough to put up with side effects? Have they made your menopause bearable?

• Posted

I would not know anything about menopause brandy as I am a male... lol

what I can tell you though is that I went from 25mg for 7 weeks, had 6 consecutive decent days then went to 37.5 for 2 days and had some side effects again so figured might as well jump to therapeutic dose of 50mg. been on 50 for three days now and the side effects seem less than they were at 25. So now I plan to stay at this dose for at least 6-12 weeks. Side effects are minimal if anything right now as I think my body is used to the zoloft now. just a matter of waiting for it to fully kick in now. you should really check out the zoloft facebook groups. Do a search on zoloft (sertraline) bruno truth group. Extremely helpful and supportive.

• Posted

oh sorry! lol i talk to so many people on here i thought you were one of the ladies i spoke to. Im considering the zoloft again but it made me so so sick the last time i lost 20 lbs!

• Posted

I have been on this rubbish for 4 months now, and still feel really crap I have chronic health anxiety and I can tell you, this poison is no good at all if you suffer from that scummy condition! Be warned! ..The side effects are like so many diseases, you won't know whether you are coming or going! How long do they go on for? Thinking of coming off them, but slowly . Advice needed! Please! .My doc just wants to up the dose, but that (150 mgs) made me worse. Anyone out there in the same boat? Luv. Chibber ( I am 77 and very active )

• Posted

Im on week 7 of 225mg vensirxl slow release, im experiencing the same , was so disappointed ad to go back on diazepam, do you think i will get there?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.