My Sertraline Story!!

Posted , 182 users are following.

Hi im a 32 year old female. Im married with 2 children. About 12 weeks ago I started to get awfulanxiety, I was stressing about the least little thing and turning small things into massive over the top things. I started doing breathing exercises and taking herbal remedies, reading books and going onto websites. Nothing seemed to work and about 6 weeks ago I couldn't take the way I felt anymore and felt like I wasn't coping with normal everyday situations like the school run and seeing my friends and even watching a film with my husband. I have never suffered with anything like this before and that in itself is very scary, I felt out of control with my thoughts, I wasn't sleeping or eating.

I went to see my GP who prescribed me 50mg of Sertraline, I was also given 10 days worth of diazepam (2mg). After a few days of deciding if I should take them I went for it, I had the most awful side affects, sickness, diarrhea, headaches, night sweats, shakes. I couldn't even get out of bed for a couple of days. I was having panic attacks and Insomnia.

After a week or so the side affects eased off and I was able to cope again although I was still left with the awful anxiety. After 2 weeks I started to feel 50% better and then into week 3,4,5 I seemed to go downhill with my anxiety again but I stuck with the Sertraline as the doc said it could take 6-8 weeks to see the benefit.

The last few days I've started to feel 90% my old self again. I think this drug seems to take a while to work but i'm glad I've stuck with it as I feel like i'm getting my old life back again. I really hope this is a helpful and positive story if you are just starting out on Sertraline, I know I have a long way to go but I feel with the help of this med I can get my life back on track.

Reading all the positive stories on this forum has helped me a great deal. Im also lucky to have great family and friends I can talk to.

52 likes, 461 replies

461 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

i had to stop after one day the tremors were so bad i couldn't even control any part of my body. Thanks for your positive story, but I must tell how I feel about it.
  • Posted

I have been on this drug for at least 3 years,It has change my life for the better.Yes there are side affects ,for the first year I couldn`t sleep and I used to get nightmares,Hot sweats,dry month,after that things improved.

My only downside is I have put on alot of weight and sleep alot, as well as no sex drive or feeling But everything else has gone from strenght to strength.

• Posted

What a lot to go through, nightmares, sweats and putting on weight, sleeping and no sex drive? What is left that has gone from strength to strength?
    • Posted

Hi minxy so u didn't sleep for a yr roughly how did u cope I'm the same and feel terrible , what changed how did u learn to sleep again plz help me achieve this xx
  • Posted

The side affects are difficult to get through, I almost gave up Chris so I understand. Some drugs don't work for people, I'm pleased they are working for me. I hope you found the right drug for you.😀
    • Posted

Hi dani its been a while since this post just thought id ask

Did u have up and down days? Been on it 19 days was on 50mg for 7 days and now 100mg and been pretty ok for few days but today got up and my anxiety has heightened and shakes are back, i was put on it for anxiety just wondered if u had the same?

• Posted

Thanks Minxy!! I'm prepared to take the risk too with weight etc. I need to function for my husband and children😀 pleased they are working for you!!
  • Posted

Its been 18days since I started Sertraline, and there is a slight light at the end of the tunnel. The mornings are the worst, dont want to get out of bed, but cant sleep either. The anxiety is being controlled by Rivotril.

I am on 150mg, which I take in the morning, the side effects are better, and I am having brief moments of feeling confident and sort of ok. I was in a terrible space for the first 2 weeks, suicidal thoughts, terrible anxiety, no joy, all doom and gloom. This is starting to get a little better, say 10%. But hey 10% is something. At night I take 300mg of Seroquel and 200mg Epitec and 10mg Zolpidem, this knocks me out and I get 6hours sleep. I havent suffered any headaches as some patients do, the tummy trouble is better, the nausea is alittle better, and my appetite is still not good, which is fine as I need to loose some weight. The depression is lifting slightly, and I can honestly say that this bout of depression has been the worst pain I have ever experienced. So I will continue to hang in there and take the Sertraline, will keep you posted.

• Posted

Omg thank god am not alone, but am on my third week but still feel super worried about stuff, and I have sleeping problems and I still fear sleeping and am scared..because I cant remember if insomnia came first or anxiety, I mean I've always anxiety all my life I worry about little things and I guess this happened when I got sick and started searching on the internet for the worst, and I always think the worst , like that "fatal insomnia" disease I heard about today now am freaking out and I can't believe I would let myself fall for little things. Like its only 9 cases they've had in the whole world. And of course I freak out... i feel stupid. And ugh, its just so bad how I make myself believe things, and its like my chest is so tight 24/7 and this head sensation thats killing me.. I dont know anymore but, I'ma leave my hope on sertraline, am just so scared... and feel like am staying like this for life. Please any suggestion
    • Posted

Hi lol how u doing now I'm on day 15 of sertraline increase from 100mgs to 150mgs still got high anxiety just had an attack while out shopping and just had to get home so frustrating x
  • Posted

Hi rob!! Really glad you are starting to feel a little better and like you say 10% is better than 0%. Most of my side affects went within 2 weeks but I've only just got my appetite back the last few days. I'm taking my 6 week tablet tomorrow and I'm 85% better but I know it's still a long journey ahead of me. Please keep me posted on how you are doing. Thanks for posting😉
  • Edited

Hi there

I've been on this drug now for 21 days and I'm finally starting to get some confidence that I'm getting somewhere. After a period of diazepam and sleeping tablets failed to stabilise my anxiety, my doctor placed me on 50mg sertraline with diazepam 5mg as emergency backup. Almost immediately I was using my emergency backup!! Two days after starting sertraline I was back at the doctors after waking to a panic attack which I managed to control using breathing techniques. A different doctor told me to take three of the diazepam each day irrespective of how I was feeling to try and control the anxiety. Being quite aware of the addictive nature of this drug this caused me more anxiety as I didn't want to get dependant. I did though find that the anxiety was so bad at times I was taking the diazepam. Two further days later I was back at the doctors again this time being re scribed a beta blocker to work in the background with the diazepam to be used as and when required.

By now I was starting to get slightly concerned that this drug wasn't the right one for me. Two major panic attacks and two ambulances in three days saw me seen by the crisis team in my local A&E which was the first time in two really tough weeks that I saw some light at the end of the tunnel. Although a real nightmare the consultation I had made me realise that the massive spikes in anxiety I was having where down to the sertraline and not a worsening of my condition.

As I said I'm three weeks in now and feel like I've been to hell and back but I really do believe things are starting to settle now. If your feeling and experiencing similar, stick with it. I've just had a lovely weekend with family that a few days previously I would have never thought possible. Don't be afraid of taking the diazepam it really does help and initially you need to control the huge spikes of anxiety. I can understand why some stop this drug but be strong and stick with it. All of a sudden the anxiety spikes seem to drop off dramatically and you start to feel like your getting some control back

I just hope that if anyone is going through the same, this story will give you some confidence. I've never had an ambulance come to me before but hey if it helps it doesn't matter!!

I've suffered several episodes of this type of anxiety/depression before and taken anti-depressants for it. Whilst the initial heightened anxiety associated with sertraline is defiantly worse than that with any other tablets I have taken, after three weeks it seems to be returning my thought processes back to normal far quicker than I remember happening before.

In short, stick with it. It's horrendous initially but it's going to be worth it!!!!!

• Posted

Hi I ve just read you thread on sertraline I know it's over a year ago . But I am in my 6th day and almost gave up the amount of anxiety spikes I get in the day really frighten me as I got 2 children to care for and I get that worked up I keep thinking I am going of my head.. but thank you for this post it has just answered all my questions that hopefully the sertraline is working. Because by late afternoon the anxiety is subsiding and I feel normal almost. So thank you again. And I hope you aRe feeling great
    • Posted

Hi nina  I'm on day 12 and a wake up about 4am and start feeling sick and anxious don't.know how I manage each day I take tranquilisers as well to help until the setraline works makes it worse I feel so sick unil early afternoon and the thought of food makes me heave.By late afternoon the sickness has worn off and I try and eat a little and feel more normal but then iwhen I go to bed I feel safe until 4am next morning and it all starts again and I feel as though it's never going to end but doc says these side effects are normal and can take 4-6 weeks to settle but the days seem so long as the doctor says I cannot go to work and both my children are grown up so I've nothing to occupy my time.
    • Posted

Hi Sarah I had to stop taking the tablets by day 12 I just couldn't take it any more it was the worst time for me. My doctor says that I have more anxiety than depression so he gave me diazepam to help with my anxiety the first 2 days of not taking the sertealine my head was all over the show very foggy and confused but I feel so much better for not taking them but like my doc says everyone is different. I hope you feel better soon and good luck x
    • Posted

Hi Tracy worse than I've felt for a day or 2 just told my mum I cant go on at night time I feel a bit more normal but I've been awake since 4.30 feeling agitated and restless how much longer before these sertraline work how are you x
    • Posted

I know where u coming from hun I seem to calm down Ard tea time and feel quite normal and can eat something then go to bed and I've been awake since 4am with anxiety but not as bad as it was but I'm 6wks 4 days on mine I'd say I didn't start to feel any let up in anxiety till abt wk 5 x
    • Posted

I just can't wait that long each day is a battle that I can't cope with I can't go back to work couldn't do my job can't be at home all day either I can't do housework daren't lie down incase I fall asleep and then can't sleep at night just don't know what to do anymore but cry and cry x
    • Posted

Ohhhh hun I wish I lived closer to u would give u a big hug cause what u r feeling I was too every sytoms but it does get easier it's my kids that make me keep going but like u my kids r grown up but I have wanted to give up on life many a time believe me
    • Posted

I am going through the exact same thing Sarah. Hang in there! Today is the first day I've been able to go with out a valium in 7 days. It's day 23 on Sertraline.

I know how hard it is x

• Posted

Hi Jane I'm ready to give up none of the tranquilisers work I rang 111 yesterday to see if I could go back on lorazapam but still feel no better do I ring them again for more advice on which to take
    • Posted

Hi Sarah I'm in Australia so I'm not sure about the 111 advice. I have found a valium and small dose of quitipine/seroquel was the best for me when it's really bad.

Try some meditation I know that it's incredibly difficult when you're that anxious.

• Posted

I'm waiting for an out of hours gp to ring me back with some advice
    • Posted

Good idea. Are there any emergency mental health teams from a hospital that you can speak to?
    • Posted

hi sarah, bless you, 95% of us are or were the exact same as you. i know it's aweful but you will get there, just read some of the success stories, you have to do this not just for your self but to everyone on here , were all rooting for you and many others , you can do this, kick it to the floor, take care
    • Posted

There's a crisis team but think they're just if your suicidal
    • Posted

I've done nothing but read them for last four weeks but it helps to know they help people but they're not helping me yet and it's all the side effects I

Struggling with especially the feeling sick and agitated all the time

• Posted

Hi Jane I am in Australia too ! (Adelaide) Just thought I would add to this and say I am coming up a year now on sertraline ... It took at least 6-7 weeks for me to stop taking a sedative to calm me down ! I started on 50 for 4 weeks then 75 for 3 weeks then started feeling carefree and fantastic which I never thought would happen again !!

Stick with it everyone I am anxiety more so than depression to but they go hand in hand really ..

Feel free to pm me I am more than happy to have a chat

Nat wink

• Posted

Hi Natalie

Thank you for sharing your story! It has not been until this bout if anxiety that I have spoken about it more openly and I can not believe how common it is!

I have not been depressed. it's the anxiety and panic full on for me! Today I can just about see the light at the end of the tunnel! that gives me such hope!

Did you get any side effects going from 50 to 75?

• Posted

I'd give them a call and explain your situation.

There's no harm in that! They could point you in the right direction if they can't help

Xx

• Posted

I had some horrendous side effects on Sertraline Hydrochloride 50mg back in February and only lasted four days before coming off. I tried it without tablets for a few months but the anxiety issues did not settle down so I asked to go on some different tablets. I started on Citalopram Hydrobromide 10mg about two months ago and was expecting more horrendous side effects but to my surprise there were hardly any. Now that they have kicked in I'm on the right track I feel. Perhaps there are other options you can explore if you feel the need? I hope you are feeling better soon. x
    • Posted

Hi James I'd been on a small dose of citalapram for a couple of years b4 that I was on 40mg daily I had no side effects but doc felt I needed a change.What kind of side effects did you have on sertraline mine are still horrendous after 12 days but doc says it's quite norm until your body settles but it's driving me to desperate despair
    • Posted

Thank you James.

I was on citalopram years ago. It did work well at the time. Apart from weight gain which didn't bother me. I was on it 24 months then came off and was great for a yr or so.

Take care ☺

• Posted

Not heard from them yet they said it would be within an hour that was at 10.45 think there fed up of me
    • Posted

Hi James just read you thread I took sertraline for 12 days bit just couldn't take them anymore so stopped. I have extreme anxiety which is crippling me it's making me gag at times especially mornings I have to take a valium. I just need some new tablets but have no idea what. I know you take citalopram are they hood and how was you anxiety on first taking them
    • Posted

Not as bad as this morn which is norm still feel abit sick had nowt to eat yet which doesn't help
    • Posted

I felt I was overdosing after a couple of days. Feeling sick all the time, had to force feed to eat, too hot one minute, too cold the next. When I got searing tinnitus on day four I decided to call it off. The tinnitus remains seven months on but it's much less problematic than it was. I was initally very apprehensive about taking more ssri's and took half a tablet at night time fearing the worst but it didn't happen. I took the other half the next morning and then one each night thereafter with little to no problem. I feel I'm improving now. I wouldn't expect to switch to something else unless things were getting worse. Is that why you were switched?
    • Posted

Hi Nina, I don't think my anxiety is particularly bad compared to some of the people on these forums but I feel a lot better after two months on the Citalopram. Everybody is different so you really need to trial it to see if it's right for you. 12 days was a lot more gutsy than me smile 
    • Posted

It's just if been on citalapram for over 5 years and had reduced my dose myself to 10mg every other day and doc thought it was time for a change
    • Posted

Hmm.. That seems like it's trying to fix something which isn't broken. I would request a review and tell the doc what a struggle you're enduring.
    • Posted

Hi I'm sorry to say I stopped the setraline 2 days so and went back to citalapram the side effects were far too bad.Two days off and I feel a little better not much but a bit glad they worked for you I've just got to keep trying 
    • Posted

I'm not sure why dr changed to sertraline in the first place if citalopram was working. Good luck and I hope you feel much better soon
    • Posted

It was because my citalapram dose was so low and due to withdrawal cold turkey off gabapentin my anxiety was on the roof and swapping between citalapram and sertraline doesn't give withdrawal as they work the same but she thought sertraline would be a better drug to help me through
    • Posted

Hi,

I'm on my day 20 with Zoloft and I've been feeling better last week but today I'm not sleeping and have anixity of that , I don't know if the med is still didn't fully kick in or what as I was feeling so much better last week.

If any one happened to experience this before please advice . I'm on 50 mg of Zoloft .

• Posted

Hi i just registered here on this site, but gotta tell you that it took 3months for me and lots of agony to finally feel absolutely great. I have normal anxiety every once in a while but I feel soo much better. I was on 50mg and then went to 100mg after 50 was making me feel worse. It was so bad I kept wanting to go off. STICK to it it will get better I promise!

good luck

• Posted

Hi Stewart50006,

Thx for your story..I've on 25mg for 3 days. Wow the side effects are heart palpitations, anxiety, sweats & restlessness. Hopefully soon this will all subside

• Posted

Hi Rachel, I read through these to help me get through anxiety and depression. I've been on sertraline for three months and believe I'm starting to feel better, I take 1 mg clonazepam before bed to help with sleep and it works. I still don't feel 100% taking sertraline. I had been taking tramadol for RLS but became dependent, it's been 5 months since I've been off of them. I'm thinking it's partially because of that I still have depression and anxiety. I'm starting to wonder if these will ever really help.

• Posted

Hi how are you doing now? I was prescribed 50mg sertrlaline. My first dose was horrible! I wanted to jump out of my skin, extremely anxious and could not settle down. Decided to half the dosage and I'm on day 6., The anxiety is still high, but the other symptoms are gone. This is a very difficult process, I want it to work so I can enjoy life and stop the worry and dread.

• Posted

Hi I'm on 150mg and so frightened this drug won't work for me !! I've been on 50 / 100/150 now over 5 weeks please tell me when u started to feel normal if you no what I mean x

• Posted

Hi stewart50006, just read your post I know it was awhile ago but it's really helped me. How are you doing now? I started sertaline 7days ago 6days on 25mg and just upped it to 50mg today as thats what my dr wanted me to start on.

I've had side effects, worse is heightened anxiety but last night was the worse! Couldn't sleep, sweating, anxiety and horrible thoughts.

Worse I've ever felt! I just hope I can see light at the end of the tunnel soon

• Posted

Hi Nina

How long after stopping did the anxiety go?

I took it for 5 days and stopped 3 days ago but still got massive anxiety

• Posted

Rachel how longg was you on 50 before goingg to 100,

Im on 50 been on 5 days but having heightened anxiety and negative thoughts i have to up my dose to 100 on day 7, did it help u?

• Posted

Hi julie when did u start to feel better?

Did u have up and down days? Been on it 19 days was on 50mg for 7 days and now 100mg and been pretty ok for few days but today got up and my anxiety has heightened and shakes are back, i was put on it for anxiety just wondered if u had the same?

• Posted

Hi natalie, 

I wanted to reach out to see how it's been going with you and Zoloft. I have been on it for 2.5 weeks and at the moment feel like I'm going through absolute hell. The anxiety and panic I feel are constant. I am just hoping that it starts to work soon. When did you start to feel that it worked for you? 

I so appreciate your thoughts.. best Joseph

• Posted

Hi Tracey 

I know this post was from a while ago but how r u feeling now??

I’m on week 4 of 200mg of sertraline and don’t think I’ve had any significant progress...;(

It’s alwats worked for me and i hope it’ll work again!!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.