My Sertraline Story!!

Posted , 182 users are following.

Hi im a 32 year old female. Im married with 2 children. About 12 weeks ago I started to get awfulanxiety, I was stressing about the least little thing and turning small things into massive over the top things. I started doing breathing exercises and taking herbal remedies, reading books and going onto websites. Nothing seemed to work and about 6 weeks ago I couldn't take the way I felt anymore and felt like I wasn't coping with normal everyday situations like the school run and seeing my friends and even watching a film with my husband. I have never suffered with anything like this before and that in itself is very scary, I felt out of control with my thoughts, I wasn't sleeping or eating.

I went to see my GP who prescribed me 50mg of Sertraline, I was also given 10 days worth of diazepam (2mg). After a few days of deciding if I should take them I went for it, I had the most awful side affects, sickness, diarrhea, headaches, night sweats, shakes. I couldn't even get out of bed for a couple of days. I was having panic attacks and Insomnia.

After a week or so the side affects eased off and I was able to cope again although I was still left with the awful anxiety. After 2 weeks I started to feel 50% better and then into week 3,4,5 I seemed to go downhill with my anxiety again but I stuck with the Sertraline as the doc said it could take 6-8 weeks to see the benefit.

The last few days I've started to feel 90% my old self again. I think this drug seems to take a while to work but i'm glad I've stuck with it as I feel like i'm getting my old life back again. I really hope this is a helpful and positive story if you are just starting out on Sertraline, I know I have a long way to go but I feel with the help of this med I can get my life back on track.

Reading all the positive stories on this forum has helped me a great deal. Im also lucky to have great family and friends I can talk to.

52 likes, 461 replies

461 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hey Stewart, what dose are you on?
  • Posted

These postings have given me so much hope. I have been on Sertraline for three weeks, first week on 25mg, second week on 50mg and third week 100mg, not feeling any benefit yet only increased anxiety, physical

Symptoms that are draining. My doc has told me to be patient which is difficult as I just want to be me again but reading the stories above I realise I have some way to go. I'm so fed up with myself which then makes you think everyone around me must feel the same but rationally I know that is probably not true. Depression is crippling, debilitating, I just want my life back. Please continue to report positive reviews as it really does help. Thanks, Christine, x

• Posted

Hi there

Sorry for the delay, but 50g dose. I'm into week 7 now and I've had plenty more episodes of increased anxiety but overall I have to be honest and say the general trend is definately on the up. You just have to accept and live with the bad days knowing that the good days are just around the corner!! I've had loads of additional stressful situations to deal with on top of my initial problems and I'm starting to feel better, so stick with it. I'm also really starting to get control over the panic attacks too which can be done with experience!!!!

Really recommend a book 'self help for your nerves by dr Claire weekes', it's really helped me. Everything your going through is in there and it helps you to feel normal. Having been on AD's before I just think this one is hard to settle with but I'm assured it works and like I said I'm starting to feel a lot better. Working solo again and having the confidence to cope with the anxiety, which although it's still there just doesn't seem as bad.

My dose hasnt changed either and I'm using far less diazepam so something is working

Good luck everyone

• Posted

This sounds exactly like me. I started taking it and it seemed to help after about a week. Still had some panic flashes but definitely better. After a month I was feeling 90% better. Right about that month mark, though, I had a massive panic attack. I wondered if the medication stopped working and if I should try a different one. 

I decided to continue. 2 months in and I was back up to 90%. 3 months in 95% and after 4 months I was at 99%. No more high anxiety and no more panics. I still think about it every day but it doesn't bother me like it did. 

There is only one hiccup in the last 8 months I have been on it. If I have too much alcohol it seems to put a temporary pause on the medication as I start to sober up. It takes a few hours the alcohol to come out of my system and I am back to 99%. 

I should also mention that I am on 150MG. My doctor said 50 was fine as I was easing into it, but it would take 100+MG for me to feel completely normal. 

• Posted

i know you posted this 7 months go, are you still on here ? if so,  i feel exactly the same where as not to go out etc or see friends sad 
  • Posted

This is giving me more hope as my story is similar so there.    Started on Sertraline four weeks again with small doze of diazepam...trying to only take one of these a day.  Felt i was making some progress after 3 weeks but this last week my anxiety is back and most days i feel awful.  am also having counselling but this is over the phone and I don't think this very satisfactory although my councillor is supportive.  I will beseeing my dr again tomorrow.  The side effects of these drugs are unpleasant but I will continue.    uke
  • Posted

Hiya dani,

Thanks for adding your sertraline story I feel better just reading it as it sounds just like me sending my thoughts into a whirlwind!! I have never had anxiety like this before and it scary I feel like am going mad :-(. It all got out of hand when my DD started school this yr I felt out of control like all my nuturing had be done and she was off into this big wide world. I also hated school and was bullied for being shy/quiet and I think it is brought bk awful memories. My DD is not like me thank god is v confident, fun loving little girl who loves school but I still worry everyday. 

I've been on sertraline for 3 wks now and don't fee any difference just a banging headache all day and nausea someone pls tell me the side effects do go away.

Ps I take my tabs after the school run should I take them at night? 

Thanks for reading just want to feel bk to my happy go lucky self :-) xx

• Posted

Hi Louise,  are you still on here if so how are you doing? I am starting my sertraline journey again and am 3 1/2 weeks in.
    • Posted

Hi how are you doing on sertraline I'm just starting day 1 after being on 4 different AD in the past 5 months feeling very anxious and generally not well at all
    • Posted

hiya! i started on sertraline and within a couple of hours of taking it i had a panic attack and really bad tummy! my anxirty has never been like this and i hate it!! are you still taking them? 
  • Posted

Its an old post but thought i would see if anyone is still around to tell there stories.

Im 8 weeks into it now on 50mgs and its helped me alot for anxiety and social anxiety. Still getting better aswell 

• Posted

Hi relise this is a old post but just looking for some positive information on sertraline 

Been put on them 4 days ago and have been taking in the morning where I will then end up feeling sick, dizzy, tired and also a banging headache was just wondering if it is best to take at night or will these side effects disturb sleep more

Iv also been given 2mg diazepam for when I really need them

• Posted

Hey there cloe this happened to me for the first couple of weeks then it settled down I have always taken in the morning ... smile
    • Posted

I have also had a weird achy feeling in my right arm going down to my hand which then my hand goes tingly. (Hard to explain) so I took diazepam and it seemed to of it settled it. I have been in bed the last 4 days since taking them and I have a 3 year old son to look after seems like a never ending journey. Also being bunged up with a cold is not much help either lol. Thanks for the reply it's nice to get some positive from the tablets as the other forums all seem negative. 
    • Posted

You have to remember that not many people stay on forums when they are better ... 

I had so many weird things happening in my first 2 weeks but they have all settled thank goodness.. I am a million bucks now at almost 7 weeks.   I have heard of pins and needles type feelings and I must say I did have that a little to for a while ...

• Posted

I have a 7 and 3 year old as well and feel your pain .. I was laid up to for a few days luckily my hubby was so supportive but I found that within a week or so I could sort of function lol... Not normal but could do what I had to aft 4 weeks I was pretty good and now back to myself .
    • Posted

How are you getting on just taken my first tablet after a whole lot of AD in the past few months for anxiety disorder seems like after 4 weeks my anxiety spirals out of control to the extend where I cannot focus walk as my legs feel like jelly feeling faint and horrible do you know if it's normal to feel like this or is this a reaction to the drugs
    • Posted

I was exactly like that back and forth for the doctors to be told anxiey I have taken my 5th tablet this morn and can feel them slowly working and side effects are not as bad as the first 3 days. Still getting achy feelings in my arms and tingling in my hands and not sure what to make of it which is starting my anexity back up. By the sounds of it you are getting the side effects but stick at it it gets better. Be nice to keep updated daily with people progress. 
    • Posted

So looking forward to the week is up. Got parents evening coming up in two weeks and want to be able to go. Got some diazepam so going to make sure I save one for that day just incase. I'm getting paranoid that I have weird feelings in my arms xx
    • Posted

I am so nervous to leave the house at the minute everything scares me reckon all the different AD has made my brain go mental need to get well for my child and husband my 18 year old autistic son left home a few months back to live with someone 25 years older shes a total nutcase and worry all the time at my wits end and cannot stop this thinking all the time
    • Posted

Sorry to hear you got a lot going on. Hopefully in time the tablets will kick in for you and you start to feel a lot better. I have been scared to leave the house due to having panic attacks and feeling like I'm going to pass out going to give the tablets time to kick in before I attempt to go to far so I will walk to the bottom of the road and the gradually build myself back up. 
    • Posted

Hi rstep04 just wondering how you are getting on. Iv been talking to a few people on here but guess they are better now as don't here from them anymore but it's good if they are better
    • Posted

Hi Cloe

Haven't been on here for a bit. I've been working on getting myself better. How are you you doing now? I hope you're feeling better and you had a good Xmas. I felt better from Xmas Eve which was so nice so I managed to have a nice Xmas with the children. I went back to 50ml and was taking a 5ml diazapam at night to help me sleep. I was feeling so much better. But my doctor didn't want to give me any more diazapam so gave me some others which haven't worked so the last few days I haven't slept. He's given me some more diazapam today so hopefully I'll get my sleeping sorted again cuz I could feel myself feeling down again. Sorry I aint been in touch. I hope you're doing well as I enjoyed talking to you. You gave me some good advice. Susan xx

• Posted

So glad you are doing so well. Was looking forward to hearing from you.

I'm still the same so back to the doctors today don't thjnk I can do it anymore I have a good week them seem to have a bad few weeks so confusing lol.

So glad you are so much better. Thanks for replying x

• Posted

Aww sorry to hear you're not feeling much better. I'm so glad I got over my worst. Just waiting for the CBT appointment now. Perhaps these tablets don't suit you. They don't suit everyone. Try changing them to a different one. I hope you feel better soon. Do let me know how you get on. I'll keep coming on here xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.