My Sertraline Story!!

Posted , 182 users are following.

Hi im a 32 year old female. Im married with 2 children. About 12 weeks ago I started to get awfulanxiety, I was stressing about the least little thing and turning small things into massive over the top things. I started doing breathing exercises and taking herbal remedies, reading books and going onto websites. Nothing seemed to work and about 6 weeks ago I couldn't take the way I felt anymore and felt like I wasn't coping with normal everyday situations like the school run and seeing my friends and even watching a film with my husband. I have never suffered with anything like this before and that in itself is very scary, I felt out of control with my thoughts, I wasn't sleeping or eating.

I went to see my GP who prescribed me 50mg of Sertraline, I was also given 10 days worth of diazepam (2mg). After a few days of deciding if I should take them I went for it, I had the most awful side affects, sickness, diarrhea, headaches, night sweats, shakes. I couldn't even get out of bed for a couple of days. I was having panic attacks and Insomnia.

After a week or so the side affects eased off and I was able to cope again although I was still left with the awful anxiety. After 2 weeks I started to feel 50% better and then into week 3,4,5 I seemed to go downhill with my anxiety again but I stuck with the Sertraline as the doc said it could take 6-8 weeks to see the benefit.

The last few days I've started to feel 90% my old self again. I think this drug seems to take a while to work but i'm glad I've stuck with it as I feel like i'm getting my old life back again. I really hope this is a helpful and positive story if you are just starting out on Sertraline, I know I have a long way to go but I feel with the help of this med I can get my life back on track.

Reading all the positive stories on this forum has helped me a great deal. Im also lucky to have great family and friends I can talk to.

52 likes, 461 replies

461 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Thank you for your story Dani.

I am at day 20 and I feel awful. The tranquilizers are knocking me out and then I back with full blown anxiety and negative thoughts that I've never had before.

I just want to get back to work and look after my daughter properly! !

Thank you thank you.

How are you feeling now? How long have you been on Sertraline for now?

Jane

• Posted

hi, my sertraline took me 8 weeks to start working, from the biggining i had many many side effects and i had just about given up didnt want to live anymore and hey presto im still here and feling much much better, all my symptoms went and i may have the odd bad day every few weeks but i feel so much better, it just takes some a lot longer for the meds to work, the first weeks were awefull, just learn yourself how to breath into your stomach and not your chest, and think positive,all the best and good luck
  • Posted

Hi I'm Ashley and I'm 22 I have been on sertraline for 5 months now, I started at 50mg, for the last month I'm now on 100mg, I honestly don't think it's working my anxiety is to the point where I really really struggle to leave my house and I worry about everything, stupid things really and I know it's stupid but it doesn't stop me from panicking, I'm really down constantly and the struggle to not hurt myself is getting ridiculous, I don't want to go and see my doctor because I'm worried it's going to make her annoyed I'm just not sure what to do
    • Posted

Ashley 4 weeks isn't long on the new dose .. I would still hope you will see a difference soon.  I always found it was 5-7 weeks with an increase.  Don't ever feel like you shouldn't talk to a doctor that's what they are there for and especially if you have self harm thoughts.   You can get better and you will x
  • Posted

Hi Dani. Just wanting to see how are you progressing? Pray that you are 100% now. I am new to zoloft and trying to read positive stories to help me make the werks go by.
    • Posted

Hi Charlotte. I am not doing as good as I want to but it is getting better gradually. My doctor is very conservative and is going really slow with increasing my doses and I am ready to feel better like yesterday. What did your doctor start you out with? I really didn't have any side effects from starting up and that is why I feel like I can take the increases without a lot of problems, but she wants me to slowly move up.
  • Posted

Hey, i realise this is a really old post, but I am in real need of some hope right now. I have just been prescribed sertraline for anxiety and depression (both of which are severly interfering in my life). I'm 14, don't go to school (due to panic and depression). Please tell me, does this work??? Is my age a risk factor? And if it does work, how long does it take to feel like your old self again??
    • Posted

Hi Charlotte, I started taking 50mg in January.it took a good 3 months before all the side effects and everything settled but it was worth the battle! I used to never leave the house and now I'm almost back to normality still have up and down days but make sure your doctor refers you to a CBT because they are really helpful in recovery! I hope u get better very soon xx
    • Posted

Hi charlotte, just wondering did you feeek better ? I really hope you do now.

I am in the same boat - like many others, but these forums are great for sharing and support.

• Posted

Hello. How are you doing? I was wondering if you are still on medicine?
  • Posted

Hi Dani. Are u still taking. I stopped a week ago and the withdrawals are horrible.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.