My Severe Anemia Experience!

Posted , 3 users are following.

I wanted to support and encourage others. I am a survivor of life threatening Severe Anemia! I was diagnosed with it 10 months ago. I had symptoms of fatigue, weakness, shortness of breath, headache, ears pounding, fainting, black stool with diarrhea. I was taken to my local ER. Many tests were run including blood test. My Hemoglobin had reached a  record low of 2.8  and iron was a zero so I got blood transfusion of four units right away. The problem was caused by a couple adnormal blood vessels in my small intestines. It took three months for me to get back to normal and for my doctor to say Anemia gone. I am still getting CBC blood tests every two months to check my levels per doctors recommendations.  This condition takes time but it can be overcome!!! 

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Thats great that you found the cause of your anaemia and now feel back to normal. Many of us never get the cause diagnosed and its a constant battle to keep the iron levels up. The symptoms you had are very familiar to me but are also symptoms of perimenopause so I get confused.

What did you take to increase your iron levels after the transfusion?

• Posted

I feel fortunate a cause was found because you are right that not many people get a cause for Anemia. I was only age 39 when it happened.  I have been told there are chances the Anemia could return in the future but at least I would be more aware of the symptoms.

After I was diagnosed with Severe Anemia and after the transfusion , I had to take an Iron pill which is 65mg Equivalent to 325 mg. I took the iron pill three times a day with orange juice. My doctors told me to only take it with orange juice because the oj helps body obsorb the Iron. 

Take care and best wishes!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.