My severe Eczema is ruining my day to day life! Help.

Posted , 42 users are following.

Hi there, i'm a 20 year old university student struggling to cope with the constant pain and irritation of my eczema. 

I get it all over my arms, armpits, neck, chest, the back of my legs and my wrists. Its scabby, sore and irresistable to scratch at. I have on too many ocasions scratched it until i bleed but i really cant help it. I have had severe eczema all my life but in the past two years, it has really started to get me down. I have applied prescribed steroid creams, Hydrocortisone, E45, Doublebase.. showered and bathed in prescribed shower and bath gels and swallowed countless anti-histamine tablets in the hope of them taking away the itch and the urge to scratch.

I'm writing this as i am so fed up, just like the millions of others suffering from eczema out there, and hope that one of you out there can help me, or atleast give me some tips to reduce the irritation.

Currently i am applying Aveeno Skin Relief Moisturising Lotion after i shower. It does reduce the itch and calm my skin, but the redness and dryness returns when the cream is absorbed or whenever i start to sweat. I cant partake in exercise or sporting activities as i am scared, actuall fear, of how itchy and sore my whole body becomes.

As i sit here repeatedly itching up and down my arms im hoping there is someone out there who can give me some advice, i've had enough of being embarrassed and fed up of my skin.

Regards. 

Tom

1 like, 49 replies

49 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi I have a product that works like a miracle it's or in ally from South Africa it is unbelievable can send before and after picture message me if interested it heals the worst skin conditions
  • Posted

Hi Tom,

have you ever tried coal tar ointment or coal tar based soaps. I too surrered pain of eczema for years to the point were I couldm=nt bend my arms because of the dry inflamed skin. But i tried 5% coal tar ointment which you can get from chemist or through a GP. after just two weeks of using the ointement my skin began to really clear up and within 4weeks the eczema had vanished that was 5years ago and I havent had a flareup since. People actually tell me I have nice skin and some even say the wish they had my skin. If theyt saw me five years ago they wouldn't have said that. 

• Posted

I'm so glad to read threads like yours. They show light at the end of the tunnel.

What else is in the soap or ointment? You mentioned 5% coal tar. Do you remember what else was in it? My boy has eczema, and we've tried dermatologists, allergists and all. No one has given anything but steroids. I would like to be specific about what I want when I take my boy to the doctor. Thank you.

• Posted

Hi Tom,

My story is very similar to yours. Saw many doctors and dermatologists up until I was about 25 all of whom gave me creams, bath oils etc (the usual). They all said that it was highly unlikely that my eczema was caused by an allergy or a food intolerance.

At the age of 25 out of desperation I went to see an accupuncurist (A former GP who said he was tired of peddling drugs for the pharmaceutical industry). He told me my condition could be due to my diet.

I went on a very strict diet excluding many common allergens i.e dairy products, eggs, tree nuts, sulphides (food additives) etc and after 2 months of this, my skin completely cleared up.

My advice, as difficult as it may be, is forget about all the creams and oils. Go on a very strict diet that avoids all common allergens and wait for 2 or 3 months and your skin may well clear up completely as mine did. I am now 50 and thankfully have relatively normal skin.

Best regards

Stephen

• Posted

Hi Tom,

I feel your pain. I have suffered from eczema all my life. I would suggest getting allergy testing. I use to use Aveeno as well then all of a sudden I had a reaction.I took the test and come to find out I was allergic to oats which is in Aveeno, Plus a number of other stuff. Also allergy shots did help some. Try taking lot of omegas. My Derm doc suggested Clorox baths. Didn't work for me but you can try it. Also coconut or olive oil helps to soak in a tub. See a derm if you can. I hope this helps you. 

• Posted

Breaks my heart to know so many people are suffering from this condition (including my own son).

?I watched an episode of documentary on CNN about this guy who does research on social issues and makes films.

?In my humble opinion, look into multiple things:

?1. Diet - cutting off gluten if you're not sensitive to it is a waste of time and delay in finding the real culprit. Blodd allergy tests are worthless. We did it and had no success. There is false positive/negative. Eat as pure food as you possibly can.

?2. Find an internal doctor who is willing to get past the SKIN. Skin biopsy might show the real issue. We are in this process.

?3. Look into chemicals around your own home. Cleaning supplies, body wash, detergents. Go over the bottles of any kind and read the ingredients, active and inactive. Fregrance is a generic term they use. It can be any one or combination of over 3000 chemicals. eliminate them. "Natural" doesn't mean anything. Read carefully. Search every chemical name/term. It's a paistaking process, but you do it once. Once you find a minimally created cleanser/etc, you're done. You don't have to do it again.

?4. Carpet.

?5. Throw away any steroid cream. My boy's skin was burned everywhere. He went through hell and back until he was rid of it.

Witnessing my own child go through this I know how hard this is.God bless you. I wish you all the best.

• Posted

Hi there. We have this problem with my 10 yr old granddaughter. Exactly the same as you. A few weeks ago we were at the end of our tether, having tried just about everything. Myself,my daughter and granddaughter were all tearful. Then we met a dermo nurse of the old school. She said that although we had been given creams,etc. no-one had actually given us a proper regime. She promised that if we did exactly what she asked, she could change the condition. Fortunately, it was the summer holiday and my daughter doesn't work, so she was able to carry out the strict routine. Yes it did involve steroids, but applied correctly. What she showed us to do had never been to us before and she.said it was common for Drs and consultants to dish out creams indiscrimanently without advice. At first we were sceptical and it was hard to apply but after 3 days things changed and within two weeks my granddaughter's skin was transformed after years of misery and failed remedies. She sees the nurse every two weeks as the routine has to be adjusted as the eczema clears. Of course, steroids have to be reduced gradually but now it is a matter of maintaining the condition with moisturisers, learning how to deal with flare ups. I am sorry about the length of my answer. There's so much more. My feelings now are that sufferers need an honest,down to earth, experienced nurse who takes the time to explain about causes, correct application of creams and thorough monitoring of the condition

• Posted

Diane, thank you for your post. Please don't apologize for length of post. If you can, please provide me more details. How you started, and progressed. I know that each person responds differently and each has a different level of severity. We can modify and experiment. My son's doctor said feel free not to come cuz I can't help you. He has lost most of the hair on hs leg. It looks and feels terrible. He is looking more and more sad. Please help by telling me what you did, and I promise you I would never hold you responsible. We are desparate. This was our 5th derm. (two allergists, and two internists). God bless you.

• Posted

Hi Shay. Sorry I took so long to reply but am having problems with my mobile. We were just dead fortunate that we found a nurse who.was straight, informative and guided us every step of the way. Of course there are flare ups but at the moment we can deal with it. My granddaughter also suffers with asthma and bowel problems. However, everything is stabilised. She hardly ever uses inhaler, never complains of stomach ache. We changed to gluten and lactose free, changed bedding to dustmite proof, bought a steamer to clean floors daily, after getting rid of carpets, even bought a washing machine with an allergen cycle. This costs but we were helped by family members. It all sounds difficult to keep up but you can get used to the routine. Commitment and determination play a big part. The regime is that my granddaughter is smothered in hydromol every night, bathed and dried. The steroid is applied to the eczema only, and it is or was almost everywhere. Betnovate ointment on the body and Elidel on face and neck. In the morning, ditto but minus the bath. Two lots of moisturizer during the day. So that's four applications in 24 hours. As you know, moisture is prime and the hydromol helps with this. When the eczema dies down, the steroid treatment is reduced. My granddaughter hates the greasiness but now complies as she realises it has to be done. A lady on here has also recommended mangosteen which I am guinea pig for at the moment and I can say after a week's use it has helped with my damaged knee (due to an accident). Next week my granddaughter will have this added to her treatment. Please research mangosteen because it is highly regarded in eczema treatment. It is hard persuading children to comply with treatment but as they get older, they can take over. I know many children who have had severe eczema; as they become older and more self-conscious they are more willing to accept treatments and changes in diet, etc, which they can see will help control their eczema. Finding good medical personnel is difficult. I live in England where Drs, etc have a very lassez faire attitude towards eczema, but it can ruin family life. Now we can see a light at the end of the tunnel. I wish you all the best and hope things improve.

• Posted

HI Diane, looks like the moderator didn't publish your post. Please make sure you don't put a link in your posting. If you do create spaces between the words so the system doesn't detect it. I'd appreciate it if you would share the info one more time. Thank you.

• Posted

I suffer from occasional eczema as well but thankfully not as bad as a lot of you have to deal with.  Sorry to see it cz I know how miserable one or two recurring patches can be, can't imagine what you all deal with.  I did want to just suggest that many of you (if you haven't yet), ask your doctor if you could have Psoriatic Arthritis rather than eczema or neuropathy, etc.  I have a friend with that and it covers a much larger and more excessive amt of flesh along with painful joints etc.  Just a suggestion :-)

Good healing to all.

• Posted

Do not apply creams when you have enflamed skin it will only suffocate it. Use cold compress to reduce inflammation and then apply creams when inflammation is gone to help heal your sores try sebitar in the shower it's the best thing ever even when I'm covered all over with sores. If you have baths make them look warm and wash yourself with the sebitar. If that doesn't help let me know.

• Posted

My daughter has severe eczema and Foderma is one of the only non prescription serum I have found that works on her skin.
  • Posted

Hi Tom

Sorry to hear that you are struggling. Can I ask if you have tried 100% naturopathic therapeutic products?

The problem you can find with prescribed creams and medications is that they all contain chemicals and chemicals irritate the skin and make the condition worse

• Posted

I had a couple months before stepping up as maid of honor at my sister's wedding and the dress was short enough that you could see the rash/eczema and resulting sores on my legs. Another lotion I tried didn't work. Foderma serum helped with the itchiness within a week (no more scratching in my sleep) and cleared up the eczema in about 4-6 weeks. I use it all over my body, not just on the areas where I'm prone to skin problems. Bought another tube after the first was used up! I mix it with a bit of water to make the most of it.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.