My sex drive is nil

Posted , 4 users are following.

Is there anyone there that has any advice - I am on 3000mg Keppra and 1200mg Zebinix a day. My sex drive is so low now and is affecting my relationshipe very badly.  Does anyone have any advice.  I am going to the doctor next week, but as you can imagne it is an embarrassing thing to talk about.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Your Dr will be used to discussions like this as lowered sex drive and even impotence are side effects of many medications, not just those used for Epilepsy. Embarrassing I know but please try and get the courage to tell them. An idea would be to write it down and give it to them as you may find this less embarrassing.

Best wishes

Taz

• Posted

Hi Raffie, I can't comment for Zebinix but Keppra made no difference to my sex drive whatsoever, neither did Epilim.

David

• Posted

Hi Raffle,

LOL... Embarrassing! Believe me if you had the things I have had done, that word goes out the window, along with your dignity. I have even put doctors in embarrassing situations when I was in my early 20's! These days, I don't particularly care if it's a female or male doctor, and even if sex is brought up in the conversation. Remember, all doctors have seen male and females, so unless you have something that they have not seen before, don't get embarressed in front of a doctor! Nothing surprises them at all.

I'm on many medications that would lower my sex drive, and when I mean many, it's around 140+ a week. 1,800mg of Epilim a day is for Epilesy and Functional Episodes which is a seizure with no shaking or spasms.

I could tell you a lot of thngs I have said or done in front of doctors, some on purpose others because I was naive. I walked in to my doctors one morning, she said "And what can I do for you on this lovely day Mr ******?", I replied we'll it's kinda awkward, "I think I have an STD and I'm married!", the doctors face went from smiling away to jaw-dropping!! I said "Classic, I got ya first on a Monday morning!" they all know what I'm like - Talking about sex I guess depends on yourself, I used to get embarressed I must admit - but it is a fact of life, if you're an outgoing sort of person you see things in a different perspective.

You can ask to see a male or female doctor these days, when you make the appointment, just say whom you would prefer to see. Remember this, doctors have seen more private parts than you'll ever see, unless you become a doctor yourself!

Regards,

Les.

• Posted

Thank you soo much for your replies - really helpful smile.  I will go in with my head held high now! x
    • Posted

Hi Raffle,

One point I forgot to mention is one some medications which are "slow-release" can cause problems along the lines you are experiencing. They are not long-term though, I have had these myself and it wasn't even mentioned as a side-effect on package. I went along with the idea, that perhaps I should give the medication time before the body gets used to the drug.

About 2-3 weeks later, everything was back to normal, well that was until my neurologist put me on another drug that had the same effect, so it started all over again. At the end of it all, everything was fine. Basically, a waiting game - and I was just a little too impatient! smile

Regards,

Les.

• Posted

Raffie1 I currently take 1500mg of Levetiracetam and 500mg of Lamotrigine with no effects. Never been on Zebinix. Your Dr. should be aware of the various side effects that the meds. can have. There’s always possible side effects and not everyone experience’s the same one. I would ask my Dr. if I experienced low sex drive. Your health is a professional relationship with a Dr. You might want to google Zebinix and Levetiracetam separate, and possibly find the possible side effects of taking both of them together. Anytime another Dr gives me a med, I google it and also try to find out if there an interaction with other meds. I take. Before seeing your Dr., you might want to write down the all of your questions. I use to forget some that were on my mind. I have more than one Dr. and each one has me on different meds. So I take a list of all the meds  along with all the vit. supplements that I take. Which reminds me, I have to revise my current list before Friday. But now if forget a question for my neurologist, I can e-mail him and he’ll answer the same day. I’ve never had a Dr. like that before. (America). Good Luck.
  • Posted

Hi everyone.  I took your advice and went back to the doctor.  And he listened to me and then gave me a prescription for antidepressants!!  I am now in the process of changing doctors to one that speaks English.  I am in Spain and although my Spanish is ok, when it comes to medical speak, I am a bit clueless!!  I also wrote out the problem in Spanish, so I could make my point clearly!  Grrrr!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.