My Shingles Seems to be Never Ending.........

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi, when I say I was 'glad' to see that I'm not the only one + there are others who have similar experiences to mine, please understand I refer to my symptoms not being unheard of + nothing else.  I think I should probably mention that due to my location (Vietnam) + for reasons I won't go into, I've not seen a doctor in relation to any of this but I am able to obtain what otherwise might be prescription only, should I be advised to do so.  Availability + cash money are all you need to get whatever pharmaceutical you may require. I'll explain my situation as briefly as I can.  I'm a 46 year old man + I had Chicken Pox last year, which following recovery from + a brief period of good health, I've had Shingles, at least what I believe to be so, ever since + can't seem to be able to shake it off. The 'rash' is the sole symptom, under my right arm + tricep area being the principal, most severely affected area, the same region on my left arm less abundant + severe, + intermittently + only mild, my chest/torso, top of both legs + inside/front of both elbows. The only treatment I've found out about is Acyclovir, which I've bought so regularly + for so long that doing so in my local chemist needs only a nod + a smile. I'm talking about the cream, does it come in tablet form? I might have imagined that? Anyway, the cream is what I use, to what extent I benefit isn't clear, it's become something I just do but it's often quite painful + it's irritated by movement of my arms. Therefore, putting something on it, Germolene is the alternative I use, it can't do any harm is the theory I base that on.  Safe to say, I do realize, almost complete ignorance is a fair description of what I've been trying to get the better of my condition with + the polar opposite is what has resulted, so far, I'm losing each battle, the war, needless to say, is being lost on all fronts. I noticed the rash has a smell to it I'd not noticed before, a depressing addition to the whole scenario + the trigger to at least try again to find some practical help + what led me here.  I've attached a picture showing the rash under my right arm, not a pretty sight but it might be helpful I thought? Any advice would be greatly appreciated........   

1 like, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Dear SiBarNet,

First, I am sorry that you are dealing with this disease.

From the description, it sounds as if you have a disseminated or widespread rash of Herpes Zoster Shingles that refuses to resolve.

The best antiviral to take is Famciclovir 500 mg orally three times a day.

The next best is Valcyclovir 1000 mg orally three times a day.

Acyclovir is the oldest drug with five times daily dosing orally. It is the worst drug as far as effectiveness.

You would need to be on these drugs for weeks under the supervision of a physician.

I am sorry to inform you this, but your immune system is severely compromised. When someone has a generalized Herpes Zoster Shingles rash on both sides of the body in many dermatomes, as you do, it indicates that something is very wrong.

I am going to private message you so we can discuss this more privately.

I am a Nurse Practitioner in the States and have had Herpes Zoster Shingles in my right ear every three to five weeks for the past twentyone years and twice in my right eye.

Best Wishes.

Merry Juliana

• Posted

Thank you for your fast + frank reply, Merry, if something's very wrong I'd like to do what needs to be done to resolve the issue. The funny thing is, I feel alright, the rash can be a bit uncomfortable but aside from that I'm OK. I'll grab some Famciclovir 500's + get cracking on them right away. I look forward to your next message + again I thank you most sincerely for the time you've taken to reply, I'm most grateful.

S

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.