My sister is being moved off contribution based ESA to income based.

Posted , 7 users are following.

She was notified of this,but then got another letter telling her she has to attend an interview in two weeks about a change of circumstances and must bring all bank statments etc.She has had no increase in her bank balance ,so is a bit unsure what the interview is all about.I asked if she was asked to take medical evidence of her condition ,but she has not.Anyone got any thoughts on this please.

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Hi

This is because income based ESA is means tested and the DWP need to know all her income details from all sources so they can check that they are paying her the correct amount when the contribution based ESA runs out .

Contribution based ESA is paid however much interest or other investment income someone receives.

Hope this helps

All the best

Wendy x

• Posted

Hi,

You can't be moved off Contirbution based on put onto Income based. If you're on Contribution based you'll always be on it for the time you're claiming benefits. What they do is add the premiums on top of the Contribution based amount.

I'm slightly confused because your title says one thing, while your question says another. Has been been sennt a letter for a complience interview? as this is what this sounds like to me. Do she have savings? if she has the premiums onto of her ESA any savings over a certain amount will affect this. Does she have savings/capital? £6,000 and over will affect her ESA £1 for every £250 over. £16,000 and her money will stop, the premiums that is. If part of her ESA is Contribution based then savings don't affect this (Contributuion based) would be approx £109 per week. Anything over that will be the premiums.

This is very confusing for someone who doesn't understand the benefit system. She will need to attend that interview and take the bank statements as requested. If she doesn't attend then her money will stop.

If she's done nothing wrong, she has nothing to worry about.

• Posted

Hi

I have to disagree I'm afraid Denise.

Contribution based ESA runs out unless you are in the support group for ESA so moving on to income based ESA is normal practice after 52 weeks of payment in the WRAG group.

Information about contribution based ESA claim period restrictions is on gov.uk.

This is the same as contribution based JSA running out after 26 weeks.

It's intended to stopped claimants with partners being paid ESA indefinitely which when you think about would be unfair if the partner is working.

Regards

Wendy

• Posted

Good point Wendy, thanks. I did actually know that lol but i read the above at the person being in the Support Group. Maybe i should clean my glasses rolleyes
    • Posted

Hello, what if you are in the support group and on contribution ESA, how long do you stay in the support group till you are retested? 
    • Posted

Contribution based ESA Support Group is paid for as long as you stay in the group.

• Posted

Michael do you mean how long until she had another f2f medical review?

this will depend on the length of the decision to put her in the support group which should be on the DWP letters.

However they can review it at anytime.

Denise has answered 're length of the contribution based ESA.

Wendy x

• Posted

Hi Wendy,

It doesn't sound like another assessment to me. They wouldn't ask to bring all bank statements to an assessment. It sounds like a complience interview to me.

You'll also be surprised of the amount of people that post questions and don't return to answer the questions you ask them rolleyes lol

• Posted

Hello Denise,looking through other posts on the internet.I think you are probably right and its a complience interview.Thank you for your input.
    • Posted

Hello Wendy,sorry for late reply.But im not on the internet much.I think by the sound of things that it must be a complience intereview.When i  get to speak to my sister,i will see if i can find out anymore though.Thank you very much for your input.Regards,Mick.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.