My sister is now 50 and my mum told us she was the first...

Posted , 2 users are following.

My sister is now 50 and my mum told us she was the first person to survive an operation to correct Fallots Tetralogy. Apparently, my father wanted it kept out of the press..!!! It was done at St Thomas hosp London when she was approx 13. During one of her visits for check up many years later, she was very upset to have heard that her surgeon Dr Cotton?? had been killed in a car crash.

My sister had 2 children and has led an active life...

We would be interested if anyone can confirm my mothers claim...

[i:bd98bef4a7]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:bd98bef4a7]

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

That is very interesting. She must have been born on 1956 and been operated on 1969. I've had my first op on 1953 and is was not an open heart surgery. The full correction for TOF was done on 1976. The 1953 op was done by an english prof. from Lodon named Sir R. Brock and it were the first heart ops. A group of children with heart defects were gathered and he performed the ops and taught the other docts how to perform. At 1976 open heart ops where already and day to day matter and my doctor decieded that it is time for me to have one before getting pregnant.

I'm feeling well since but you know my BP started to go up a bit and I'm starting to feel a bit tiered. But I'm still working as a theraphyst in a mental health hospital and looking forward to quit and have a few years of complete freedom. Maybe looking after a grandchild. The forum a so full of young childern and I was searching to see how the first operated Blue babys are doing out there in the world.

• Posted

HI I HAD MY TOF OPERATION IN 1974 AT VICTORIA HOSPITAL IN BLACKPOOL,IT WAS PERFORMED BY DR BOUND AND DR GLENNY,

I AM NOW 43 YRS OLD AND HAVE THREE CHILDREN,

I LEAD A VERY ACTIVE BUSY LIF .

FOR 15YEARS I WAS A FITNESS INSTRUCTOR AND STILL KEEP FIT BY RUNNING 3 TIMES A WEEK AND SWIMMING WITH A SWIM CLUB 3 TIMES A WEEK,

I HAVE RECENTLY HAD A MEDICAL AND HAVE BEEN TOLD I HAVE A MODERATE LEAK ON MY AORTIC VALVE AND A SEVERE LEAK ON MY TRICUSPID VALVE,I AM IN TOTAL SHOCK.....MY CONSULTANT INFORMED ME THAT IT IS HIGHLY LIKELY IN THE NEXT 10-20YRS I WILL HAVE TO HAVE THE VALVES REPLACED AND I AM BEING MONITORED YEARLY.

APARENTLY IT IS COMMON AFTER HAVING TOF TO HAVE PROBLEMS LATER IN LIFE,ALTHOUGH I FEEL FIT AS A FIDDLE NOW,OVER TIME IT IS EXPECTED I WILL SUFFER FROM SHORTNESS OF BREATH AND TIREDNESS,THE PROSPECT OF MY HEALTH DETERIORATING AND OF FURTHER SURGERY FILLS ME WITH DREAD AND I WOULD LIKE TO HEAR FROM ANY OTHERS THAT ARE EXPERIENCING THIS,REGARDS JOANNE S sad

• Posted

Hi i had TOF operation in 1969 aged 9yrs ive had no other ops i have 2 leaks like joanne and i am expecting to have another op a bit later in life and yes its scarey just the thought of another operation but things in the medical world have moved on alot

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.