My skin on my face flaring up

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hello i have had RA now for two year does anybody out there get a nasty red rash around there face , i don't get it all the time only when i flare up its on my forehead round my nose and cheeks and then it peels its not nice at all looking forward to here of someone who might throw some light on this matter best wishes to you all Maxwell .

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Maxwell,

I have this issue as well, and actually dealt with this about a year prior to my RA diagnosis. I was told I have eczema - another autoimmune disease (totalling 3 so far for me). I was prescribed many different oral and topical meds for it, but nothing worked. Mine affects my eye lids, forhead and trails down my neck when its really bad. I notice too that when the RA is flaring the rash returns as well. I started taking some sulfazyme tablets and using Cetaphil for eczema skin lotion and face wash. This seems to keep it in check and when my RA is flaring I take a short course of prednisone for that which also helps to clear up the rash. I would also make sure they have checked you for Lupus as I know that a butterfly facial rash around the nose/face is common with that. I hope you can find some help with this, I know how bad it can be :-(

• Posted

You are describing my Psorasis Arthritis, or as the rheumo said to me, first cousin of RA, and treated exactly the same.

Do you suffer from psorasis on your skin normally.

Dr gives me betamethasone 0.5mg cream, to rub into rash, it does settle it down.

• Posted

Hello lyn1951 No i don't suffer from Psoriasis but i know where you are coming from when i see the consultant next time i will ask about lupus i have been told by 2 consultant that i have RA the swelling of the feet hands cannot open things the pain is terrible it seems it started to take over most of my joints .I had a total knee replacement i have so much pain now coming from it they performed another op to see what the matter what

) they found chronic swelling in the tissue around the new knee indicating that RA was in the system i do have a fantastic consultant who specialize's in RA but lupus keep coming back in mind to me as my mum suffered years with it or could i have both i just don't know at the moment well i send my best to you and all and best wishes to you Maxwell .        

• Posted

Hi Maxwell,

Lupus came to mind with me when I read your first post, as we all know once you have one autoimmune condition you can sometimes get others, I am sure your consultant will track it down for you.

I have Palindromic RA and Sjogren's Syndrome and often get the rash across my nose and cheeks but not the peeling.

All the best

Linda.

• Posted

What ever it is its horrible i feel so low all the time its making me think about well is it all worth it at the end of the day i was a happy even over happy about life not so long ago not now it brings you down to basement floor all those tablets they try on you i don't think its doing me any favours but what i can understand everyone is different and they are helping a lot of people so fair play i send my best to you all and best wishes go out Maxwell .

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.