My Sleep Is Ruining My Life (I’m 21)

Posted , 3 users are following.

For as long as I can remember I have had issues with my sleep, I sleep for far too long. I can easily sleep for 15 sometimes 16 hours. Sometimes I will sleep for say 13 hours, be awake for around 4 or 5 hours & then sleep for another 10. I don’t feel overly fatigued during the day but I don’t feel energetic by a long chalk. I have been a little depressed over the past 3 years with breaking up with my ex & some other hardships. However my state of mind is far better & healthier now than it has perhaps been in years. That’s not to say I’m ecstatic & brimming with confidence all day every day, but do I feel a lot more clearer headed now & postive. But I would say that the depression still lingers somewhat. My diet isn’t great. My family are pretty poor so I kinda just have to eat what I can, mainly being beans on toast or some other half assed s****y meal. Maybe that’s a factor. But I don’t want to be lectured about my diet because I don’t have the money to support a balanced diet as of now because I’m so inconsistent when it comes to jobs because of my sleep, I just can’t conquer it. I have probably lost around 5 jobs due to my sleep alone. It is beyond impossible to properly wake up & get out of bed in the morning. I find myself sleeping aaaalll day long until literally midnight. I don’t even feel as if I really need that amount of sleep but I just sleep and sleep and sleep & never wake up. throughout my entire life I have been called lazy & that’s what everyone has put it down to. I have actually been to the doctors about this but didn’t explain myself nearly as thoroughly as I have right here. I basically just said that I sleep for ages & find it really hard to wake up, plus I don’t feel all that fatigued throughout the day. & for some reason he almost laughed it off & put it down to me being a lazy young boy that just finds it hard to wake up in the mornings. but I truly believe in my heart of hearts it’s more than that. Can someone please give me some advice or direction because this is becoming my life now. It’s affecting everything, relationships, social life, diet, jobs. Even my dignity, I feel embarrassed every time I wake up after having been asleep for such ridiculously long hours. I find myself sneaking around at night time trying to make food whilst everyone else is asleep & by the time the morning comes around everyone’s waking up & im drifting off. My sleeping pattern is extremely difficult to tame. This is not sustainable. Someone help me please.

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

Have you heard of hypersomnia?  There's many different causes for it.  Sleep apnea being one of them.  You could just not be sleeping that well, so accumulating hours of it is an offset.  I would try a different doctor if they aren't concerned about your mental or physical health being affected.  My doctor laughed off my anxiety until I mentioned it was affecting my entire life in negative ways, then he took it seriously.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.