My son, aged 13 has suffered from a repetative cough for...

Posted , 5 users are following.

My son, aged 13 has suffered from a repetative cough for about 3 years since being very ill with Pneumonia and having an asthma attack. I have repeatedly asked for help from doctors and requested that the phlegm that he coughs up be checked but I have always been told that 'He is an asthmatic you know and this is what asthmatics do'.I did not believe this and recently having persistently calling my sons doctor he was given an appointment with a hospital paediatric consultant. His chest was clear, but the cough suggested a secondary infection and this was duly dealt with, with a months worth of antibiotics, He was much better and we heaved a sigh of relief. This was short lived and few days later he started coughing again. At last his phlegm was checked and they have now diagnosed Bronchiectasis. I like many others have looked it up on the internet and it is only having read the letters on this sight that has given me an insight into what we may have in store. My son is active and very keen on sport. We await the CT scan and hope that he can look forward to a reasonbly healthy future.

[i:2ecc4c31c1]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:2ecc4c31c1]

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi.

hows yo son doing now??

• Posted

Hi, I can truly empathise your situation. I have a daughter who suffers from bronchiectasis. Living with bronchiectasis can be challenging and tiring – both for the sufferer and family / friends. She has ‘good’ periods (when she feels well) and periods when her condition ‘flares up’ and symptoms increase.

As a precaution, keep reserve course of antibiotics at home. And it is important that the antibiotics are taken for 10 to 14 days to ensure the infection is well-controlled and less likely to return when the antibiotics are stopped. When an infection develops, start antibiotics as quickly as possible as this allows the infection to be brought under control more rapidly than if the antibiotics are delayed.

Few people use nebuliser that is especially recommended if you are having 3 or more chest infections requiring antibiotics in one year, to try and improve your symptoms and reduce the frequency of chest infections.

Keep a check on his symptoms like increased coughing or qty and thickness of sputum, blood in sputum etc. Be prepared; discuss with your doctor what you should do if you start feeling unwell, including on the weekends.

Make sure he is up to date with his flu and pneumococcal vaccines. Try to make him eat a healthy, varied diet and drink plenty of non-alcoholic fluids. Pay attention to his personal hygiene, especially hand washing. Throw away used tissues immediately after use.

He can lead an active life by using energy conserving techniques in day to day life. Exercising he do depends on his individual condition and requires some common sense not to attempt anything too ambitious.

Hope it helps. I wish him best of medical care and health.

Vincent

• Posted

Keeping active and eating a healthy diet is very important. Hopefully you will get him stable and he will live a long life. Sending off sputums is good if your doctor is not supportive change doctors
  • Posted

Hi, I was diagnosed at 10 with Bronchiectasis.

It's not always about the medical side of things you need to be aware of. Make sure you notify his school as you may find some activities will trigger bouts of chestiness. 

As a sufferer myself I always found myself isolated due to never being able to meet people in person with this illness (due to infections etc). It's frustrating as there will be times of struggle just doing simple things like walking up the stairs. Id encourage your son to be open about his condition and don't be downhearted when people understand. It's not something people hear everyday and yeah, it sucks! There's plenty of people out here like me and him who all know how it feels, just keep his head up and appreciate each day as it comes smile x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.