My son broke both his ankles. Im worried about homecare.

Posted , 2 users are following.

My 22 year old son has boken both his ankles and is having surgery this week to have screws and plates put into them. I know this will a land hard process for him. My husband and I will help him in every way we can, but , he is a big boy and weighs quite a lot and I worry about how he will get the the bathroom and also showering. He wont be able to walk at all I assume. Can anyone who has gone through this enlighten me on how we can help him? Thanking You

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Edited

i broke both ankles about 5 years ago I live alone so i had to go to rehab after i got out of the hospital i was in a wheelchair and had to stay on the first floor of a townhouse with only a small half bath downstairs. the doorway wasn't wide enough for my wheelchair so i had to use a potty chair i had to sleep on the sofa and was able to position it at the end of the sofa so i could get on it myself i used plastic liners so it could be put in the trash and taken out . i used the kitchen sink to wash up and to wash my hair. i had to learn how to transfer

myself or i couldn't be at home i was 63 then and was no small thing myself I got a temporary ramp to get out the door and sometimes had to pay someone to take me to appointments it was really hard but time passed and i healed hope the best for you and your son

• Edited

most helpful things to me were loose elastic waist shorts, transfer board to get into wheelchair or into car, device to use in sink to wash hair while in wheelchair, babywipes or similar to feel clean, and maybe netflix Ill post more if i think of other things you may need to have some sort of ramp to get into and out of the house

Let him do as much as possible for himself to save your backs and to let his upper body develop

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.