My son has been diagnosed with OFG and I'm not sure what he can and can't eat. Any ideas pls he is o

Posted , 4 users are following.

My son has been diagnosed with OFG TODAY I NEED HELP WITH THE DIET AND SUPPORT HE IS ONLY 15

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi, I asm sorry to hear that your son is not well. But I have to ask What is OFG i am afraid that I have not heard of this. I have suffered from crhons for 52yrs this year and as far diet, it appears that every one is different. I can eat certain things some times without any problems where as other times it will play me up. I do keep away from all spicey foods.  Hope that he gets sorted out soon
    • Posted

I found this on Google...

A cinnamon and benzoate free diet for orofacial granulomatosis:

Orofacial granulomatosis (OFG) is a condition which affects mainly the mouth and lips. Swelling and redness are the most common symptoms but other symptoms such as mouth ulcers and cracked lips can occur too.

The cause is not known but a cinnamon and benzoate free diet helps 70% of people with OFG.

Avoiding foods which contain cinnamon and benzoates may help your oral symptoms.

You should try and follow this diet for 12 weeks and monitor any improvements in your symptoms diary.

Keep to fresh or home cooked food where possible.

Hope me this Helps!

If you are unsure whether a food or drink may contain cinnamon or benzoate, it is best to avoid it.

It is important that you read the labels of any manufactured or prepared foods you consume.[page1image4596]

• Posted

Hi

I managed to reply decndor about OFC..

There's more information on the website below. Looks like a load of 'E' numbers can aggravate the condition. It lists which ones.

Hope this helps.

www.ucc.ie › patientinfoleaflets

• Posted

Hi Donna

I have had OFG for the last 5 yrs and have been on a cinnamon and benzoate free diet given to me by Guys Hospital who research this condition. It has worked for me and it works for 70% of people. I attach screen shots of the diet. Benzoates are in most foods but you only need to avoid the ones mentioned. A lot of other diets are over prescriptive which makes them difficult to follow. Best of luck.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.