My son has been sick for 3 days...what should I do ?

Posted , 7 users are following.

My son has been sick for 3 days. Been to the doctors and told he thinks its tonsillitis, there is also ketones in his urine but nothing given for treatment. later that day he got worse, he wasn't keeping fluids down so i took him to A&E and told he had extra amounts of ketones plus protein in his urine and as a result, we were taken to hospital as a precaution to make sure he wasn't dehydrated. After several hours there, we were discharged after they were happy he had kept his fluids down.

However, after multiple checks from 4 separate doctors, my child is still being sick and still not eating and we're onto our third day. I know as a parent that there is something else going on as he is never a sickly child and normally happy and healthy. Any help or advice would be great. Thanks.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

hi, the protein in the urine will be from not keeping much fluid down and the ketones from him being off of his food, these are two important questions does he have diabetes or pre-diabetes and does he have testicle pain?

• Posted

hi. theres no testicle pain and he does not have diabetes, the doctor asked us that also. we were told the ketones were because of his vomiting and that they would take time to go away.

• Posted

Sorry to hear your Son is going through this. You definitely need to get checked out for diabetes. I'm type 1 diabetic and this is an indication.

• Posted

he's been so good to go down hill so fast. the doctor pricked his finger to check his level and all was fine with it. all the standard checks that the nurses do are fine also so i just cant understand why he isn't showing any improvement.

• Posted

Do you have access to a children's hospital where they have more expertise?

• Posted

It may be a bug, but since he is not getting better, you should see your doctor for diagnosis and treatment. I find it very strange that no diagnosis or treatment has yet been given. Did anyone comment on the reason for the ketones and protein in his urine? Was he not tested for a UTI which can cause vomiting? Try small sips of water to keep him hydrated until you get an appointment.

If your doctor suggested tonsilitis, why were no antibiotics given?

• Posted

Hi gary55770

If i were you i would take him to A & E.....something is wrong if he continues to be sick. Does he have a temperature??..if he were my child i woudn't wait around. You don't say how old he is....

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.