My son was born 29/11/03, diagnosed approx 16 hours later Transposition Of Great Arteries

Posted , 2 users are following.

My son was born 29/11/03, diagnosed approx 16 hours later with TGA. Underwent balloon septstimy 1 day old and had a successful arterial switch @ 10 days old , both ops took place at Newcastle Freeman Hospital. He has had 2 further check ups at the Freeman and he does not have to go back until Aug 2006 which we are all happy about. I am extremley happy with the Doctors & Nurses at the Freeman and grateful to tthem all for the care and attention he received. He has had no illness since and very very rarely gets coughs and cold. To me hes just a normal little boy with a "war wound" on his chest. The only thing I am concerned about is his later years ie say age 8 upwards, can he play football? will he need more surgery? these questions keep going round and round in my head.

[i:7b0918a25c]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:7b0918a25c]

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

My son had a switch op performed at harefield Hospital in 1994. He was diagnosed at 3 weeks of age and operated just before 4 weeks of age. He also had a vsd which was patched. He is now a very active 11 year old who happily plays football, rugby and all other energetic activities. He has regular annual check-ups which have (touch wood) always been very satisfactory. Two years ago he had to have a 24 hour ECG and stress test in addition to his normal echo and ecg but no further action was necessary. He tires a little easier than his peers but nobody would ever know what he has been through. I expect the op is now even more efficient this much further down the line and I hope this helps you to be optimistic for your son in the years ahead. I am sure he will continue to be healthy and lively.

[i:7834abf086]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:7834abf086]

• Posted

my son was born february 22nd 2005 and was diagnosed with tga the day later, we got transferred to newcastle freemans hospital too where he to had a balloon septostimy and the full arterial switch at 15 days old. i was beside myself with worry and like you have nothing but admiration for all the doctors and nurses. He went for a check-up yesterday (24.5.05) and got told he has a slightly leaky valve although the doctor said it is nothing to worry about i cant help it hes a gorgeous little boy and so much fun you would'nt know he was born so ill too. i too have the same kind of worries as you what will he be able to do etc. but im sure they,ll be no holding them back!! its nice to read other experiences as i havent heard anybody else with this condition.

[i:b0a5f20560]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:b0a5f20560]

• Posted

Hi

My son is now 7 year's old and plays football for the local team. He does get out of breath but who doesn't when you've been running aroung a field?! He knows his limitations and, when out of breath, with take a break and then carry on.

He has a leaky aortic valve which his consultant is monitoring. He has only missed 2 days school since he started in September 2004 - a better record than some healthy heart children!!

Hope this gives you some reassurance.

Bam

• Posted

my litte boy was born in march 2000. He was diagnosed 2 days later, he was taken to manchester childrens hospital for the ballon procedure, he was then transfered to Alder Hey for his switch op which he had at 15 days, it took a further 3 days to identify he had a further hole at the base of the heart which was the reason they could not close his chest. Once it was agreed it was too dangerous to operate on and the correct medication was provided, he made an excellent recovery. He has not had any further problems, he is a livley 7 yr old, very strong very active. he goes for yearly checks as one of the ateries is thinning however as yet not enough to warrant any further intervention. the hole has almost closed on its own now. I have 2 older daughters, they were completly healthy. I do always worry for his future, but until i am told any different i will continue to allow him to be a normal active young boy.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.