My sons cardiac results

Posted , 3 users are following.

Goodday. I would like to get an opinion on how serious my sons condition is. He has many medical conditions, including type 1 diabetes (since 8 months old), autism, connective tissue disease, sleep apnea, hypothyroidism, asthma, he was born with an Atrial septum defect (never had surgery for it), left club foot. This is not all his conditions. We saw the cardiologist last week and I list her report below. Please let me know how much I should worry and if there is any meds he can use. She said that there is nothing. We are in the process of trying to get a bipap machine authorized by our medical aid.

Weight: 64kg

Pulse: 95 beats per minute

BP: 95mmHg (systolic)

ECG: sinus rhythm; with negative T waves in V1. QRS axis: +110 degrees  The findings indicate RV strain

Echocardiogram findings:

RV moderately dilated; measure 26mm on 2D

LV ed 51mm LV es 26mm.  Septum 10mm Posterior wall 7mm.

On 2D the septum measure 11mm

Pulmonary valve root measure 36mm on 2D

Right pulmonary artery measure 23mm

Aorta ascendens measure 22mm

Trucuspid valve : annulus measure 27mm ; all three cusps are prolapsing with trivial T.I. (gradient measure 23mmHg)

Mitral valve has no significant prolapse ; annulus measure 24mm

Aortic root is not dilated

Conclusion:

1. The ejection fraction is less than a year ago; it measure 62%.

2. Left ventricle size is upper border of normal. Septum is mildly hypertrophied.

3. Right ventricle is moderately dilated; tricuspid valve prolapsed has increased from mild to almost moderate. T.I. is still the same.

4. The pulmonary valve and pulmonary arteries has dilated significantly.

Thanks in advance!

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Without being a doctor, it is difficult to say. I am well versed in my condition and look back at previous results to find out what changes have occurred. Asking questions, in my opinion, is never a bad thing. Have you spoken with the doctor about some of these results to find out what they mean? Medical journals, other medical professionals and the web can yield some helpful information but you also run the risk of (frightening) misinformation. Good luck to you. I hope you find the answers you seek soon!
  • Posted

Hello.. I have only few points.. but it is very important

First, it is very and extremely important that your child keeps his blood sugar levels at a normal range.. to avoid complications.

I hope he's talking medication for decreased thyroid function.. because it's important during his growth.. or even any time... it is very important.

For his asthma, it should be controlled by inhalers and anti-inflammatory drugs... also by avoiding any stimulus that causes asthma to be worse- as much as you can.

In my opinion, I guess sleep apnea is caused by his heart condition.. also my opinion is to get his septum fixed, especially at this age.. he will get better chance to live normally without tough complications.. think about it. See, it is clear from the echo result that he is getting ventricle dilation.. I don't understand fully about it.. I only have some informatio ns, but this is my opinion.

I don't know much about the valves.

About his club foot... did he get it corrected when he was born?

Hope

• Posted

Hope that helped, even a little

I really hope your son to get well very soon..

Wish you best of luck :-)

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.