My steroid treatment

Posted , 3 users are following.

My gyni prescribes Dermovate for my LS which has been really sucessful but I have had a bad flare up recently and when I saw her she said I must apply it every night for 6 weeks because the LS takes 6 weeks to break down, after that I just use it as and when.  I think i had a flare up because I wasnt keeping an eye on things .  When I first used the product a year ago and did it for 6 weeks it worked a treat and cleared the LS up so I will do the same this time and then keep up with the borax bathing and applications but its interesting to learn about how the steroid works. I would be at a loss in more ways than one without it.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi, That is really interesting.. gynys don't usually tell you how the steroids work and I found mine really vague.. I kept using dermavate morning and evening for at least 6 weeks and eventually things calmed down.. it seemed like an eternity though and I was concerned about skin thinning.. 3 years down the line I still use a steroid although not such a potant one as dermavate 2 days per week as maintenance and this seems to keep symptoms at bay.. also is bicarbonate of soda the same as borax as you don't seem to be able to get hold of it in the U.K.?

• Posted

I bought my borax on ebay this week, but it doesnt seem to disolve in water so i dont really understand, maybe im just putting too much in the water.  Also bought bicarb as well. im on a six week blast of dermo at the moment but only apply it at night, fingers crossed it clears up.  I jus thate the thought of having this disease for the rest of my life.....
    • Posted

I know what you mean, I felt the same for ages.. I don't really think much about it now to be honest.. I think the trick is to keep maintaining when you've got it under control and up ur steroid if you start to feel an itch/soreness starting.. I'm always better during the summer months as tight trousers and leggings during winter can irritate down there.. I'll have a look on e bay for borax.. I'm presuming you are from the uk? X

• Posted

Yeah, in the UK and got it on ebay. Annoyingly I thought it was under control but it had flared up towards the back passage which I wasn't paying any attention to and hadn't really noticed, won't make that mistake again!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.