My stomach makes loud noises

Posted , 6 users are following.

I have had crohns diesease for 25 years and recently underwent me 3rd surgery. Fortunately I have not needed a stoma as yet. For the last few years my stomach make the loudest grumbling noises after eating which continue for many hours. I thought this would improve after surgery but sadly the noises all beit better are still thee. I am already on mercaptiepurine and have severe bile salt malabsorption.

Does anyone else have this symptoms or suggestions?

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

I'm sorry to not be able to offer any advice but I do share your embarrassment of immensely loud belly noises! Mine started while on elemental diet prior to bowel resection last November. I never had particularly bad bloating prior to this. I have been told probably due to BAM but have wondered myself if yeast overgrowth could be to blame as I had alot of thrush due to 8 weeks of antibiotics when it started - just feels like I have a belly full of something fermenting every evening.

• Posted

Thought I was the only one with the nutty professors laboratory in my stomach. You are right it is like fermentation and although I don't find it painful it is really uncomfortable. I personally haven't found yet which foods trigger it.

• Posted

When I asked consultant he suggested a low fermenting diet, but if I don't eat it goes away but as soon as I eat the noise returns food can't ferment that quick can it?

• Posted

I cannot offer you any help but my stomach makes awful noise, particularly when I lie down. Also every time I stand up I break wind and no matter what cannot control it.  Any suggestions would be appreciated?
    • Posted

My mum suffers bad wind she has started drinking actimel and swears by them.
  • Posted

Have had crohns for 20 years,1 surgery in 1999. My tummy makes the worst noises!!! Some days worse than others,not painful just very very noisy. Guess that without half my bowel there the whole digestion process makes this happen. Not on any meds for a few years but think will ask for something this week as been a pretty stressful time and seem to be on the toilet more than usual! x
    • Posted

If experiencing diarrhoea all the time maybe worth while asking for bile salts be checked especially if had surgery on caecum part of bowel. Had mine checked recently and lite absorption so been commenced on coleseveslam which has improved things immensely. Although still noisy belly!
  • Posted

The fermenting thing is something I battle with every time I have antibiotics. Have now told my GP that the newer family if antibiotics apparently are well known to give thrush after and bacteria overgrowth/candida. So will not have them again but stick to the older style antibiotics. Can't eat bread or baked pastry while it's like this. I had antibiotics for chest infection at end of January and I'm still fighting to get my bowel back to normal. To make matters worse I only have 1.5m of bowel left and need to eat 4000 calories a day to msintain my weight. The thrush is in my mouth as well. Seems like I have become immune to daktarin oral gel and nystatin drops. Now on terbinafine tablets used for fungal infections and am seeing some headway. Have been on azathioprine for 21 years. Tried pro/pre every kind of probiotic and they just made things worse, like my body reacts badly to them.

• Posted

Hello again, since my last reply a friend made a comment that made me look into lactose intolerance. I'm only on my second day of trying to exclude it but feeling loads better. Lactofree milk made drinks taste a bit sweet but far better than black! So excited that after seven months of discomfort it could be this easy and yet IBD clinic didn't suggest it!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.